Plymuff's Pilgrimage to S6

HoylandOwl

Was a very good display. We were excellent first half. High energy, pressure and pressing, aggressive. We really did dominate for the first 45. Second half, mainly when Cosgrove came on, we just struggled to get hold of the ball. That said, we are the team that missed the better chances and did regain a foothold when we changed the front two.

Some very good displays. Pato and Windass first half. But, Vaulks, Flint, Iorfa and Palmer were excellent. I thought Wilkes was bright when he came on too. Just a good team performance.

The officials thought. The worst officiating I have seen at any level this season. 21 minutes injury time, 3 shirt pulls on Wilkes by the same player, all give as free kicks and no cards… yet, we get two booked for the same thing. Two absolute cast iron penalties for fouls on Aden Flint and the linesman disallowing a goal after seeing the replay on the screen. Which he did to cover up that he should have disallowed it real time because Gregory is offside stood in front of the keeper when Byers shoots. It was a disgusting display.

But, a good win. Top of the league. 

• Like 1

The disallowed goal.
Saw it live from the North at the Kop end and thought it was a good goal. Just watched it back on the Sky highlights and still think it was a good goal.

Yes Gregory is quite close to the keeper and probably in an offside position but I don’t think it makes any difference to whether he saves it or not and Gregory wasn’t going to touch it, and Byers wasn’t crossing it to him.

Whilst DM thinks it was the right decision, I don’t agree. Academic in the end but it’s a shame to see good football like that not being rewarded with a goal.

What do others think, should it have stood?

4 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

The disallowed goal.
Saw it live from the North at the Kop end and thought it was a good goal. Just watched it back on the Sky highlights and still think it was a good goal.

Yes Gregory is quite close to the keeper and probably in an offside position but I don’t think it makes any difference to whether he saves it or not and Gregory wasn’t going to touch it, and Byers wasn’t crossing it to him.

Whilst DM thinks it was the right decision, I don’t agree. Academic in the end but it’s a shame to see good football like that not being rewarded with a goal.

What do others think, should it have stood?

Fuck em Tank. I thought it should have stood and I’ve never been as angry at a Wednesday win as I was today. officials were appalling. 

But give me 3 points next Saturday and I’ll watch them officiate every Saturday if it means we go up.

Cvnts 

Edited by Laceups
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Otto_Man said:

Whether it was offside or it wasn't he shouldn't have raised his flag because he watched it back on the big screen and shit his pants.

Genuinely no clue how we only scored 1 today and it was probably the hardest chance of the afternoon too

I don’t think he did tbh. 

I watched him as I wondered whether it was offside. 
Lino stayed where he was rather than heading back to the halfway line, and ref was looking across at him as if he was always going to go over and check.

Quite why he took so long over it though I really don’t know.

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

Was a very good display. We were excellent first half. High energy, pressure and pressing, aggressive. We really did dominate for the first 45. Second half, mainly when Cosgrove came on, we just struggled to get hold of the ball. That said, we are the team that missed the better chances and did regain a foothold when we changed the front two.

Some very good displays. Pato and Windass first half. But, Vaulks, Flint, Iorfa and Palmer were excellent. I thought Wilkes was bright when he came on too. Just a good team performance.

The officials thought. The worst officiating I have seen at any level this season. 21 minutes injury time, 3 shirt pulls on Wilkes by the same player, all give as free kicks and no cards… yet, we get two booked for the same thing. Two absolute cast iron penalties for fouls on Aden Flint and the linesman disallowing a goal after seeing the replay on the screen. Which he did to cover up that he should have disallowed it real time because Gregory is offside stood in front of the keeper when Byers shoots. It was a disgusting display.

But, a good win. Top of the league. 

Everything you just put regarding the 2nd half officiating has saved me typing the same things.  That is a magnificent victory in the (so familiar) circumstances.  Injuries / players missing before kick off.  Utterly shocking officiating by the exasperating ref and south lino. Injuries to the oh-so-useful Pato and to Baz.  

BUT!!!! 🎶 WE ARE TOP O'THE LEAGUE, WE ARE TOP O'THE LEAGUE!" 🎵

Just a note on Moore today. The decision to put Paterson at RWB wasn’t just filling a hole. There was a clear instruction to anyone wide left to fire crosses beyond the far post to him coming in on the cross. There were two balls in from Johnson when Paterson has run too soon, one went over his head and the other, he mistimed his jump. Windass kept getting into that inside left position, and was trying to smash it across to face in Patersons direction. From Dawsons feet, the target was Paterson and didn’t lose a header on the diagonal all afternoon.

• Like 3

A very enjoyable, entertaining game ruined by the utter incompetence of the officials, both sides look to play football, both sides played some lovely stuff in the 1st half - a cracking advert for division 1 football.

Thought for the first 20-25 minutes Wednesday were far the better team but gradually Plymouth took over & had plenty of possession but not really testing Dawson - barring the free kick they had just outside the area. The Paterson goal was superbly taken, great hit, was absolutely gutted when he pulled up in the 2nd half.

Now for the 2nd half - christ knows what had been said or gone off at H/T because these officials ruined this game for me, the decisions he was making was mind blowing, everytime we went near a Plymouth player, he went down like he'd been shot & the ref fell for it every single time, yet when there's clear fouls on our players - nothing zilch, even to the point where Flint was being pulled, cuddled bummed from behind, the ref gave a chuffing free kick to Plymouth!!!!

These players & the management deserve massive praise, we would've lost our heads over the years & lost this today - the experience that DM has bought to the club deserves nothing but praise, Flint, Byers, Vaulks, all led by example, calming their teammates down when it was getting edgy, having each oyhers backs, it was a joy to see - I don't think I've seen this kind of togetherness in years & long may it continue.

Keep it going Wednesday - next Saturday is another huge game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cheat said:

I don’t think he did tbh. 

I watched him as I wondered whether it was offside. 
Lino stayed where he was rather than heading back to the halfway line, and ref was looking across at him as if he was always going to go over and check.

Quite why he took so long over it though I really don’t know.

I didn't see it cheat so can't comment, but the elapsed time was ridiculous. Plymouth had retrieved the ball and we're setting up at halfway to kick off when he flagged. Ludicrous behaviour.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved it today.

We more than deserved that, we played with purpose and intensity and off the ball I thought our shape and defensive work was tremendous.

Flint stood out for more than his height, and a massive praise to Pato who I thought up to his injury had been superb at both ends of the field. To be honest I don’t think I can knock any of them out there. Even Dennis coming in at the end put himself about and got stuck in.

As for the officials. In the first half they weren’t terrible, but my god in the second half, there’s just no words for the ref and the assistant on the south stand side. Flint being absolutely man handled from a corner AFTER he’d play had been paused to warn their lad about wrestling him about. As mentioned already, two more of their lot joined in, flattened flint, and apparently we fouled them.

For the first time in as long as I can remember I felt inclined to let Mr linesman know what I thought of him too.

Wilks was seemingly in demand for his shirt as I lost the count of the times he had his shirt pulled, or was man handled as they couldn’t deal with him. And I think he only was awarded one foul for it too.

Thats without the absolute farce of a decision around the goal. 40 seconds it took to decide that it wasn’t a goal. Yet there were no signs of it happening until the ref went to talk to the assistant who must have been desperate for his Ginsters Cornish pasty, post game that he couldn’t let us get two goals ahead.

That decision invigorated them. But praise to the defence and Dawson for holding them off.

I was very much impressed with their number 28, matete I think it was. Very good player.

You can see why they’ve been up at the top and around it for so long. They’re decent, but we absolutely rattled them today all over the park.

As for their travelling support. They were crap. Hardly any noise, well not really to speak of. Long way for a shit day out. I mean I did hear them say they wanted to go home, I’m just glad they are travelling home with no points too.

9 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Oh, and not sure if it’s been mentioned as I haven’t read all the thread back yet.

Did people notice Josh Windass punching the air and loving the celebrations at the end of the game.

But… he doesn’t celebrate though…. 😆

Windass went nuts with the goal too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Oh, and not sure if it’s been mentioned as I haven’t read all the thread back yet.

Did people notice Josh Windass punching the air and loving the celebrations at the end of the game.

But… he doesn’t celebrate though…. 😆

He doesn't celebrate scoring goals in the third division.

His dad told him not to, was in an interview ages ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

I absolutely loved it today.

We more than deserved that, we played with purpose and intensity and off the ball I thought our shape and defensive work was tremendous.

Flint stood out for more than his height, and a massive praise to Pato who I thought up to his injury had been superb at both ends of the field. To be honest I don’t think I can knock any of them out there. Even Dennis coming in at the end put himself about and got stuck in.

As for the officials. In the first half they weren’t terrible, but my god in the second half, there’s just no words for the ref and the assistant on the south stand side. Flint being absolutely man handled from a corner AFTER he’d play had been paused to warn their lad about wrestling him about. As mentioned already, two more of their lot joined in, flattened flint, and apparently we fouled them.

For the first time in as long as I can remember I felt inclined to let Mr linesman know what I thought of him too.

Wilks was seemingly in demand for his shirt as I lost the count of the times he had his shirt pulled, or was man handled as they couldn’t deal with him. And I think he only was awarded one foul for it too.

Thats without the absolute farce of a decision around the goal. 40 seconds it took to decide that it wasn’t a goal. Yet there were no signs of it happening until the ref went to talk to the assistant who must have been desperate for his Ginsters Cornish pasty, post game that he couldn’t let us get two goals ahead.

That decision invigorated them. But praise to the defence and Dawson for holding them off.

I was very much impressed with their number 28, matete I think it was. Very good player.

You can see why they’ve been up at the top and around it for so long. They’re decent, but we absolutely rattled them today all over the park.

As for their travelling support. They were crap. Hardly any noise, well not really to speak of. Long way for a shit day out. I mean I did hear them say they wanted to go home, I’m just glad they are travelling home with no points too.

Two things you've mentioned today reminded me of things I said to the lads during the game:

1) "our shape".  After about 30 mins I said that, scratch defence apart, I was loving our lineup today. It really did work naturally. 

2)  "they wanted to go home".  About the 3rd time they sang that I "externalised" with, "You can go home any time you like but you're not taking any points with you!"  (Very brave when watching Wednesday but just maybe we're a different Wednesday now.) 

• Like 1

I've been watching Wednesday for longer than I care to remember and this is the first time I ever remember us being top. I know we've been top before, but it's always been either early in the season or not felt sustainable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting carried away, far too much football still to go for that, but even in the few seasons we've been around the top of whichever league we've been in we've always seemed to be chasing someone else rather than being a pace setter. Unfamiliar feeling...

Edited by Otto_Man

Otto...

I'm 53 and I think you are right for this time of the season.

It's looking good for now.

Longest unbeaten run in our history...just think about that.

Equal most clean sheets in a season...in Feb! Think about that.

I hope the lads get us up autos, yep champions would be good but whatever...it's the third division.

Get up autos and then compete top end of championship. We really could be building momentum to that.

A deserved win and good to see Moore reads on here and agreed that playing Bannan, Byers and Vaulks is a terrific idea. Barring injuries and the FA Cup then that must be the plan for the rest of the season.

Choke the opposition in their own half like we did in the first half. Keep them more than at arms length in the 2nd. 

Don't give these teams a chance to hurt you and to me we look more threatening when less is more striker wise, as our wing backs come more into it. I guess I have to eat a large slice of humble pie on Paterson.

The joke of the ref though,  first half did not notice him really, but 2nd I am sure he wanted 33k to do so on his own big day out. 

The 2nd goal was just bizarre, one of their players was injured so he gave instruction for the trainers to come on. May be a form of excuse for the delay. Clearly neither official will admit to watching the screen to wriggle out of how they made the decision.

The other call for football is to limit injury assessment to 2 minutes. If that call is its a serious one, then treatment continues on the pitch of course but others should be moved to the touchline.

18 minutes of announced injury time (and more played) is getting beyond a joke. 

I might be misremembering but weren’t we top for ages in 1983/84 only to fvck it up at the end. Obviously only those of us a certain age will be able to recall that one.

Otherwise there’s not many other instances of us being top and certainly nothing to say about being top at this stage.

The added time is, I suppose a good way of deterring time wasting etc but needs to be combined with the officials not allowing it in the first place. I’d hardly put yesterday up there as a game with lots of intentional time wasting.  there was some but not on the Wycombe or Fleetwood last week scale.

Plymouth manager Steven Schumacher points finger at Windass for Cooper injury.

What’s he supposed to do? Not challenge for the ball? Shut up!!!

Now, I’m not able to obviously know the precise moment Cooper was injured in that challenge for the ball, but it looks like he lands awkwardly. 

One other thing.

Not seen any comments from Argyle fans about the Lepp. Says quite a lot doesn’t it 

• Like 1