Jump to content

Bye bye Scunthorpe United?


HoylandOwl

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Can't be long before DC does summat like this. I'm an Owl over 50yrs and I wouldn't touch us with a bargeploe with the cretins following us.

Spend some money you tight ****

I'm not paying more than 20 quid a ticket

You've wasted loads of money

Our squad is too old

our squad is full of kids

sell some players

what did you sell our best players for

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember going to Scunthorpe for a friendly with @HoylandOwl and that jumped up little Hitler wannabe Lisa (was that her name? Clever little madam) and I ended up having ‘words’ with a guy with a Wednesdayite T shirt on.  Can’t remember what it was about but the fact he was part of Wednesdayite was enough for a disagreement.

 

@HoylandOwl took his lad as well.  He was alright 👍 

 

We got zapped by about 3 million little back bug things. Shit game as well iirc. 

Edited by Skamp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Skamp said:

I remember going to Scunthorpe for a friendly with @HoylandOwl and that jumped up little Hitler wannabe Lisa (was that her name? Clever little madam) and I ended up having ‘words’ with a guy with a Wednesdayite T shirt on.  Can’t remember what it was about but the fact he was part of Wednesdayite was enough for a disagreement.

 

@HoylandOwl took his lad as well.  He was alright 👍 

 

We got zapped by about 3 million little back bug things. Shit game as well iirc. 

It won't have been Lisa from here, or used to be on here, she's far from a jumped up Hitler! I do remember that disagreement, and the bug things. 

Oh the halcyon days of being arsed to go to pre season games!!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Skamp said:

Kinnell….

Everyone who’s recently read anything about the club and the chairman/owner etc will know it’s a shit show but, that… 

I hope they get out of the mire. It was a good little club who punched way above their weight not that long ago. It would be a shame to see it all go down the pan. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The owner before Hilton, Peter Swann, owns the ground. Sold it to himself for £1m then slapped a £5m valuation on it when Hilton tried to buy it off him. 

There's rumours that Alan Hardy is the money behind the take over and that Harness is just the front. Her own company certainly doesn't have the cashflow to deal with Scunthorpe's debts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Five of us went to watch Farsley Celtic v Scunny yesterday and it was in fairness a very entertaining match. Farsley have a good set up, basic but decent enough. The club house have decent beers on tap at good prices & get through the queues at good speed. Even the club owner was pitching in & serving on the bar.

 

Scunny brought about 1600-1700 which is a huge number for the National League North & the overall attendance was something like 2300 which is Farsleys biggest crowd for donkeys years.

As for the game, as full time players, you could see Scunnys extra quality & fitness. They're top of the league for a reason but in the second half especially Farsley had good chances & deserved a goal. So 2-0 to Scunny & they march on but an entertaining game with 3 red cards, one of each side sent off for headbutting each other & Farsley captain sent off late on second yellow for what just seemed to be a tired players tackle.

The thing I'll remember though is the "interesting" behaviour of the Scunny fans. Clearly their numbers meant they took over the ground, but the aggression of many of them, the number that had to be escorted out, the scuffles by the pitch, fighting in the bar where women were sat, their general conduct was pretty shitty, for non league definitely. Probably a huge factor in one of their coaches windows getting put in by one of Farsleys finest after the game. I had all on convincing Mrs Bradders afterwards that it's not always like this in non league footy.

Anyway, Scunthorpe are on their way back & the decent fans I spoke to are happy with their lot & enjoying this season. It'll be interesting to see how they get on next season in the National League where they won't be the big boys.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I think there is quite a bit of aggro at lower league level. Small town mentality, the belief there will be less cameras, police etc. 

And the fact you can drink during the game. Lovely to have a pint while you’re stood on the terrace but as always there are a few that think they can take drinking but can’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

And the fact you can drink during the game. Lovely to have a pint while you’re stood on the terrace but as always there are a few that think they can take drinking but can’t.

Our lass was taken back by the 60+ bald fella in the bar doing a line off the back of his mobile without a care in the world. He was then one of the main protagonists in the bar fight I mentioned. Some folk never grow up, apparently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

I think there is quite a bit of aggro at lower league level. Small town mentality, the belief there will be less cameras, police etc. 

That was definitely at play yesterday. You don't usually see it at Farsley though, mainly because the average crowd is 600-800. Scunny fans were definitely making the most of being a large following at a small club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

That was definitely at play yesterday. You don't usually see it at Farsley though, mainly because the average crowd is 600-800. Scunny fans were definitely making the most of being a large following at a small club.

Their fans have always been *****

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...