Social media and ‘opinions’

It seems that comments on social media from ‘supporters’ are attracting attention again. 
Opinion seems to descend into abuse very quickly, while people may not be fans of the manager or his style of playing out from that back or even some of our players, that’s their prerogative, but should it allow them to publicly abuse them?

Its also started to appear with people who watch F1 too it seems. 

What on earth is wrong with people? We can have differing opinions, of course we can, but we’re here again… why oh why does it have to be, ‘he’s a fkin dickhead’ or something like that? Why can’t they accept at all that people have differing opinions? 
I know we’ve been here before, and I’ve said similar before, because it makes no sense to me. But how can things change. Would you want them to change or are you ok with these folks thinking it’s fine?

One of my bugbears of social media - the tribal nature of it certainly when it comes to politics. But equally the way news stories are framed to be clickbait - how many occasion do you get Asian families with 20 kids wanting a bigger house type stories, absolutely designed for the "send em back" crowd. Or the single mother who can't afford to get her 5 children new I phones and be expected to pay for food as well 

Unfortunately the social media has become so hostile, that it drives people away.

The negative people, who abuse the manager, the players and fellow owls are so loud that they overshadow the friendly people. If you are going online to have a nice and friendly chat, it's really difficult to find a place, which is not overloaded with negativity.  So the "happy owls" stay quiet and the "angry owls" rule the media.

Whilst I find this development sad and worrying, I am even more concerned about the development in the "real world".  

You can avoid social media, but there is no way to avoid the negativity and aggressive behaviour in the real world.

That's also valid for the manager and players. The negativity and boos in the stadium, the tense atmosphere and the groans when the ball is in our half might cost us points.

IMO we won't be able to stop this development - the society has lost its values!

• Like 4

Problem is that because most people now go to social media for their news and social media only shows you content that you have previously interacted with, people are generally no longer seeing a viewpoint that is different to their own. So society is losing the ability to debate and when people have their opinions challenged they explode because of the incredulity of how stupid the challenger must be because everything they've ever seen tells them they're right.

Case in point - Panorama last night was interviewing survivors of terrorist attacks and every single one of them has been abused online for being a liar. Nob head conspiracy theorists only see content that tells them their conspiracy theories are true...

• Like 2

The real problem is there are people that find offense in anything and everything as a means to silence what would be normal debate.

The law, and I don't mean the fatuous "non-crime hate speech" events, provides strict parameters in what may and may not be said. Just because you disagree or find it offensive does not and SHOULD NOT, restrict any persons right to free speech.

Fuck em don't like what I say, then simply unfollow block or mute

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andyben said:

The real problem is there are people that find offense in anything and everything as a means to silence what would be normal debate.

The law, and I don't mean the fatuous "non-crime hate speech" events, provides strict parameters in what may and may not be said. Just because you disagree or find it offensive does not and SHOULD NOT, restrict any persons right to free speech.

The thing is, it’s entirely possible to not agree with what someone says, or has an opinion of, without resorting to abusing them for it. 

• Like 1

Social media has given so many people a false sense of importance IMO. Look how many numpties have YouTube channels, blogs, podcasts or “branded” Twitter/Instagram pages and think that that makes them an expert on their particular subject. 

I agree with the post further up about everything being tribal. There seems this way of thinking that someone/something is either 100% good or 100% bad. I think that means people lose their ability to consider what their own thoughts are on a subject and they just follow which ever politician/pundit/presenter they “follow” believes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

What do you consider as free speech?

Do you consider insulting people, driving them to suicide, robbing their confidence, etc, etc as acts of free speech? 

If yes, do you act the same way in "real live"?

(BTW: I do love a debate and I consider free speech essential, but I don't feel the need to offend anybody)

17 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

Do you consider insulting people, driving them to suicide, robbing their confidence, etc, etc as acts of free speech? 

(BTW: I do love a debate and I consider free speech essential, but I don't feel the need to offend anybody)

I don't think AB condones systematic bullying that drives people to suicide or leaves them at a low ebb.

However too many take offence to the slightest comment and find an insult where none is actually meant and this leads to the person making it getting piled on, the over reaction is as bad as some of the so called bullying.

3 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I don't think AB condones systematic bullying that drives people to suicide or leaves them at a low ebb.

However too many take offence to the slightest comment and find an insult where none is actually meant and this leads to the person making it getting piled on, the over reaction is as bad as some of the so called bullying.

I am also absolute against the modern "political correctness" and the offence taking, which happens all the time.

But the bullying and the defamation is worse. Read what people say about our manager and players  ... there are words, which I would never use against my worst enemy. Some of those players are still kids!
(But as I said... it's not a football topic. It's the whole society, which doesn't value the wellbeing of other people anymore)

17 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

I am also absolute against the modern "political correctness" and the offence taking, which happens all the time.

But the bullying and the defamation is worse. Read what people say about our manager and players  ... there are words, which I would never use against my worst enemy. Some of those players are still kids!
(But as I said... it's not a football topic. It's the whole society, which doesn't value the wellbeing of other people anymore)

It's words on social media and often not aimed directly at the manager or players, if they choose to search their name on socials then more fool them.

1 hour ago, Germanbird said:

Of course he doesn't. There's a huge difference between freedom of speech and freedom from the consequences of what you say. 

Your last paragraph is amusing, your views will offend somebody even though you don't intend them to, but that's alright because you're not responsible for other people's feelings.

2 hours ago, Germanbird said:

I'll insult who I want, provided I stay within the law, who cares. 

And yes I do.

Basically, I have little time or patience for idiots in whatever form they take and I don't believe in wasting precious time on such people so treat them with utter disdain, and being a northern man of a certain age I use foul language.

I call a **** a ****, simple as that.

Edited by Andyben

3 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I am outraged, the bloke looks nowt like Harry 

The point is I will push boundaries further on here because in general I know folk won't take it too seriously or give it back.

But I will be more restrained on FB or Twitter 

I think you will be  reyt on twitter now  Elon musk has unleashed it!

for me too many pussy ass snowflakes and the woke culture with allowing kids to change there sexes at 10 yrs old cause there fucking confused.

fuck off. Bring back some tough love we’re getting a crack for being cheeky taught you a lesson rather than sending kids into therapy cause they’ve stumbled upon a eating disorder video on instagram.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LiamOwl said:

Social media has given so many people a false sense of importance IMO. Look how many numpties have YouTube channels, blogs, podcasts or “branded” Twitter/Instagram pages and think that that makes them an expert on their particular subject. 

I agree with the post further up about everything being tribal. There seems this way of thinking that someone/something is either 100% good or 100% bad. I think that means people lose their ability to consider what their own thoughts are on a subject and they just follow which ever politician/pundit/presenter they “follow” believes. 

This is a great snapshot of social media for me. As much as I think it’s there to allow debate, It doesn’t often allow for it or should I say many people don’t use it for debate. They use it to force opinion rather than learn and understand more. 

• Like 2

My attitude is simple.

Speak to people who you want to be spoken too. And that applies to social media.

I choose not to insult people, or do name calling for the pure reason that it would take an awful lot for me to do that face to face. I stand by the mantra that the first person to lose their cool, loses.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Not on any kind of social media anymore, personally think the negatives far outlay the positives now a days.

Everyone is different but mentally I'm far better off it, then on it.

You are here, aren't you?

Unfortunately Owlsonline or Owlstalk are not better than Twitter or Facebook, are they?

But I agree with you... it far better for the mental health and mood to avoid social media (but I can't resist)

16 minutes ago, Germanbird said:

Unfortunately Owlsonline or Owlstalk are not better than Twitter or Facebook, are they?

But I agree with you... it far better for the mental health and mood to avoid social media (but I can't resist)

Owlsonline is much better because we can use **** and not be banned 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Germanbird said:

I don't class this as social media, personally class this as a message board where I talk to liked minded people about the team we all love, social media for me is :

Facebook, Twitter, etc etc, none of which I'm on, I think they are all toxic.

On 01/11/2022 at 14:03, HoylandOwl said:

Just not a fan of his that's all, just summat about him. He may well be a lovely chap.. Who knows.... Although I'd have one of his cars if someone was giving one away 🤣

Maybe the fact that he’s the current richest man in the world and apparently believes the human race needs to colonise other planets to survive?  🤔

Just remember all the social media platforms are private entities -

so

its not really a platform for free speech - it’s what they allow. If you get blocked their not curtailing free speech - because when using their platforms it’s subject to their T&C’s.

But then you get people crying about free speech online all the time.  

It’s probably an unfashionable opinion, but I believe the “power” of social media is much exaggerated.  For example, if UK elections were determined by numbers of likes and retweets, Jeremy Corbyn would’ve ended up in Downing Street after the 2019 general election.  There is still a comfortable majority who either can’t really be arsed with social media or don’t take it too seriously, and view it as the echo chamber for the obsessed and the over-opinionated  that it so often is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl71 said:

It’s probably an unfashionable opinion, but I believe the “power” of social media is much exaggerated.  For example, if UK elections were determined by numbers of likes and retweets, Jeremy Corbyn would’ve ended up in Downing Street after the 2019 general election.  There is still a comfortable majority who either can’t really be arsed with social media or don’t take it too seriously, and view it as the echo chamber for the obsessed and the over-opinionated  that it so often is.

That’s a fair point Owl71, but social media does have an influence as it’s used very often as a barometer for public opinion in the mainstream media…