Matchday Fred: Sheffield Wednesday - Burton Albion

1 hour ago, Kiwi Owl said:

3 points - well done

That was a little more nervous than it should have been. There was a couple of times late on where they may have scored on another day. Odd because bar the last 15 minutes, I thought Iorfa and McGuinness were very comfortable at the back. Their 2nd, I am certain that Stockdale thought it was going wide

Special shout out to Paterson who I wished was given the chance with our 2nd penalty. His two balls for Wilks were outstanding. So unlucky with a few efforts as well. Others may see different but he was my man of the match from the I-Follow screen today

Attacking wise, we were much better 2nd half than the first half. We started to cause them all sorts of problems and deserved a few goals, whilst I feel they deserved a bit of luck given they never gave up. 

Pato deffo MOTM IMO.  If the likes of Fizz, Bakinson, etc, had some of his energy they'd be good players.  (And ditto the other way around re. skill.)

That was indeed a strange game today, the last 10 minutes or so really weren’t much fun and there was a 5 minute spell where I genuinely worried we might balls it up.

But in hindsight I guess we have been able to shuffle the pack and rest a few players but still come away with 3 points so mustn’t grumble.

For once I thought the ref was on our side and wouldn’t be surprised if they felt a bit hard done by on that front. He even made out like he had disallowed Winnall’s goal at one point. 

39 minutes ago, Chelters said:

That was indeed a strange game today, the last 10 minutes or so really weren’t much fun and there was a 5 minute spell where I genuinely worried we might balls it up.

But in hindsight I guess we have been able to shuffle the pack and rest a few players but still come away with 3 points so mustn’t grumble.

For once I thought the ref was on our side and wouldn’t be surprised if they felt a bit hard done by on that front. He even made out like he had disallowed Winnall’s goal at one point. 

I genuinely didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the end of that game!   🙃

First half we were poor, summed up by our free kick on half way 30 secs before the break. Rather than launch it forward, we fancied around at the back and almost gifted them a goal.

Second half a lot better. At both ends until we got the fourth. Winnall’s goal galvanised us into taking it seriously again, but the penalty miss buoyed them and we resorted to the panicky Wednesday of old. Another fairly comfortable win, with plenty of goals and near misses, that didn’t quite satisfy. 
Paterson had a good game, and Iorfa, although he might have done better with their first goal. Smith’s control and hold up was better than of late. As someone posted above, lots of 6s and 7s. No one outstanding, but no ‘mares either. 

I enjoyed that today thought they was better than the position that there in, the first 25 mins we was shit.

the goal settled us down then was 1 wat traffic, concerning when Bannan went off and Byers came on we lost that quality that let them back into the game nailed on that winnall would score and I thought they looked dangerous what the fuck stockdale was doing for there second fuck me he watched it in, even Reesh could’ve saved that!

overhall decent result but are we a formidable league 1 team? Not sure yet.

10 hours ago, Winco said:

I enjoyed that today thought they was better than the position that there in, the first 25 mins we was shit.

the goal settled us down then was 1 wat traffic, concerning when Bannan went off and Byers came on we lost that quality that let them back into the game nailed on that winnall would score and I thought they looked dangerous what the fuck stockdale was doing for there second fuck me he watched it in, even Reesh could’ve saved that!

overhall decent result but are we a formidable league 1 team? Not sure yet.

I’m with you on that. We sometimes flatter to deceive don’t we. There’s moments of pure quality, then moments that the keystone cops would be proud of. 

Yeah a very strange game indeed.  It started off looking like an embarrassing performance for the first 15 minutes or so, then we settled as an attacking force and it changed to a comfortable win.  We were better in the second half and it looked like it was turning into a massacre.  Finally the makeshift defence showed frailty and we seemed determined to make it a contest.  All in all it was a good end to a bad week.  We rested a few and still picked up three points.  We got Ihekwe’s suspension out of the way and James may be available for our next league game.  Wilks finally came to the party, which could be significant.  

• Like 1