Getting short of centre backs again?

The way that Big Ben went off injured today looked like we're not going to be seeing him for a few weeks. (Hope I'm wrong.)  Sod's Law as we'd just been discussing how well he & Ihiekwe had played together, (plus McGuiness (sp?)). We saw today that the gaffer's response to Heneghan's absence was to go 4 ar the back. If we want to play our customary 3 cb's, what are our current options and their pros and cons?  If we move Ihiekwe into the middle, who plays either side of him?  

1. Dom Iorfa.  Got what it needs in spades but also has been out of form recently.  

2. Liam Palmer.  Move Mr. Versatile to right c.b. and introduce Hunty to r.w b?  Hunt's been out a long time, reportedly very poorly, and probably needs more time to become fully fit.

3. Other options all seem to involve the return of currently injured players, but when will they be available?

a. Reece James?

b. Akim Famewo?  

Any other options?  

The way the fixtures fall - there are only 2 league games in November, then an injury that is a 4-6 week one isn't actually the end of the world 

Saying that the way Heneghan looked and the way his knee crumpled when he stood up, that as the making of a 4 to 6 month one.

I think like last season that January transfer window might be key to bolstering that part of the team 

Definitely a concern Owling.

We struggled last season when we got to Christmas and got hammered at Sunderland. We can’t afford to lose to the top teams if we are serious about the autos and a lack of defensive cover needs addressing.

id also be concerned about how robust the players are that are coming back from injury, it’s not realistic for them to be thrown in and play 3 games a week straight off. We saw that last season  with the likes of Windass and to a degree Iorfa. So when we do get some of the injured players back the fact that there are only a few games in November needs to be taken advantage of.

The other big issue will be commanding the box in the air which Ben H provided. Whilst we have other big lads I don’t think they quite match his presence 

I think we will be alright but it is a concern 

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

I think if we can keep McGuiness fit, we still have Iorfa and whilst Ihiekwe is on a booking knife edge, we still have enough cover. Plus Palmer can play in that three, and at a push so can Johnson. James should be back soonish too.

Hunt can come in at RWB if needed.

I think we will be ok. Plus, we can go to an orthodox 4 as well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I think if we can keep McGuiness fit, we still have Iorfa and whilst Ihiekwe is on a booking knife edge, we still have enough cover. Plus Palmer can play in that three, and at a push so can Johnson. James should be back soonish too.

Hunt can come in at RWB if needed.

I think we will be ok. Plus, we can go to an orthodox 4 as well. 

Yes but the OP pointed out the apparent flaws currently with several of those options. 

Am I right in thinking that James and Heneghan both basically got crocked by bad tackles? Even more unlucky than usual if that’s the case. Couldn’t possibly be red cards of course, pretty sure you could literally snap someone in half and not get sent off against Wednesday. 

51 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Am I right in thinking that James and Heneghan both basically got crocked by bad tackles? Even more unlucky than usual if that’s the case. Couldn’t possibly be red cards of course, pretty sure you could literally snap someone in half and not get sent off against Wednesday. 

Heneghans wasn't a bad tackle.

Just checked and it was against Harrogate in the Papa Johns last season

In the league it was Henri Lansbury for Bristol City at Hillsborough in April 2021

The last time it happenned in front of a crowd - Jed Wallace for Millwall in August 2019

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

This.. Although the home fans accused Heneghan of diving... It was a relatively fair challenge from both players chasing a long ball forward as far as I could see... (Not seen a a replay)

Even worse, Tee: Having been fouled, James landed on the hard 'track' just off the pitch, possibly on his hip, and was rolling about in agony when a fan jumped up and leaned right over the advertising boards, shouting abuse right down on him.  Nobody deserves that, especially when they've been fouled so badly that they're out for weeks as a result.  

7 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I'm not sure going 4 years since an opposition player was sent off at Hillsborough in front of a crowd is good

Not what I meant. As you may or may not remember, I can't stand that evil piece of shite. Irrespective of his quality otherwise, he is malevolent and tries to make sure that opposition players get sent off, so I enjoyed it when it was his turn. 

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Not what I meant. As you may or may not remember, I can't stand that evil piece of shite. Irrespective of his quality otherwise, he is malevolent and tries to make sure that opposition players get sent off, so I enjoyed it when it was his turn. 

Horrible little man. Not you Owling.

For all the constructive criticism of Moore at times, the one thing we can agree on is that when it comes to the centre back positions we have had a bellyful of bad luck when it comes to injuries 

The one for Heneghan last week did not look bad when it first happened, bit of magic sponge get on with it. Then when he tried to stand up and his knee crumpled, this news doesn't surprise me 

With Iorfa who should have been the #1 pick way out of form as well. 

As far as I know Cahill is keeping fit with Palace u21s and has played a couple of times for them in friendlies.

Ryan Bennett (released by Swansea last season) was training with Grimsby but I don't know if he still is. 

Sol Bamba still training with Bristol City as far as I know.

Danny Rose turned down a move to AEK Athens a few weeks ago but probably out of our wage bracket.

Neil Taylor is doing his A licence 

If we're looking to stay with what we've got then I'd stick with the back 3 but move Palmer over and let Hunt and Iorfa fight it out for right wing back. We bought Iorfa as a right back and he'd be less of a liability out there. We'd lose a crossing option but his runs would turn to their defence round and possibly create more space in the middle. 

That's fantastic news about James being available, if correct.  

I wouldn't rush Famewo back either. I still have the image of him desperately crawling towards the edge of our penalty area, in absolute agony, so he wasn't playing the attacking opponents onside, right in front of where we were stood. Whilst the ref completely ignored him and M.K. Dons repeatedly tried to profit from his situation.  After about 20 minutes of his debut.  

That lad deserves to be brought back in the right way. He still might be a big player for us this season. 

He's originally a converted full back. We've used him at right wing back a couple of times in cup competitions. Could be wrong but I think he picked up a serious injury early in his career which curtailed his defensive capabilities. 

I wouldn't use him at the back though. What's the point of our 21s if we don't trust them to be on the bench 

• Like 1