Wednesday v Cheltenham match thread

Reesh

After a dream start that faded away almost completely. Very frustrating. They even came close to catching us out 2 or 3 times.  

Let's hope we can restart as impressively as we started or maybe change things around somewhat.  4-4-2 with Johnson & Mighten on left doesn't exactly look secure and Vaulks hasn't been up to the high standards of the last few games.  

An important half to come. 

Just now, Owling_Wolf said:

After a dream start that faded away almost completely. Very frustrating. They even came close to catching us out 2 or 3 times.  

Let's hope we can restart as impressively as we started or maybe change things around somewhat.  4-4-2 with Johnson & Mighten on left doesn't exactly look secure and Vaulks hasn't been up to the high standards of the last few games.  

An important half to come. 

I agree with MK, Owling. We need to be more clinical with these chances, when we create them

14 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

I agree with MK, Owling. We need to be more clinical with these chances, when we create them

Gregory taking a touch to stop Bannan slotting it in was bad, but for Windass to then shoot over from 8 yards immediately after was a shocker! 

Hope we don’t go on to regret these missed chances! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Gregory taking a touch to stop Bannan slotting it in was bad, but for Windass to then shoot over from 8 yards immediately after was a shocker! 

Hope we don’t go on to regret these missed chances! 

8 yards? In what world.

For all Moore’s faults, that change to 3-5-2 and the introduction of FDB were what finished the game.

We could have faltered, but I haven’t seen many people praise Marvin Johnson when he got Ihiekwe out of jail from his one mistake. It was great tracking back and tackling.

FDB, that’s an impact sub and a half. And Bannan, well, he was fantastic today.

Heneghan was a monster, brave as you like and Palmer. He’s got a second wind and a half, maybe his fantastic 10k for Jude has helped, because he seems to have bundles of energy on both sides of the ball.

Vaulks, continues to just get on with his job, although not as good as recent weeks today. 
Overall, it’s a happy Saturday evening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

For all Moore’s faults, that change to 3-5-2 and the introduction of FDB were what finished the game.

We could have faltered, but I haven’t seen many people praise Marvin Johnson when he got Ihiekwe out of jail from his one mistake. It was great tracking back and tackling.

FDB, that’s an impact sub and a half. And Bannan, well, he was fantastic today.

Heneghan was a monster, brave as you like and Palmer. He’s got a second wind and a half, maybe his fantastic 10k for Jude has helped, because he seems to have bundles of energy on both sides of the ball.

Vaulks, continues to just get on with his job, although not as good as recent weeks today. 
Overall, it’s a happy Saturday evening.

I was just thinking that after giving Moore a pasting for his subs mid-week, I haven’t acknowledged that he got them right today. 

So for that he deserves praise.

3 minutes ago, PP2 said:

Like playing with 10 men with Mighten on the pitch.

Apart from the one tackle Johnson made he's not been great recently, hope we can get him back to where he was, which will be dependant on Mcginness and James being on the pitch and Johnson getting forward more.

Missing Byers. Palmer gets better every week.

Bannon shite again? 😂 Where TF do his critics get to (you know who you are) after a performance like that. He's streets ahead of anyone else we have.

Knobhead

• Haha 1

It's a funny old game, Saint!    :classic_tongue:

I never saw that coming when I was fretting for ages at 1-0.  We've all been there, seen the endless chances come and go, then the undeserved equaliser.  🙄  But then Baz changes the whole game in a moment of pure talent. 

A word for their well decent 'keeper.  He must be sick as a dog today.  (Good!)  He's played well - the one he tipped around the far post from Windass early on looked a goal all the way - but he's still been beaten by three guided missiles.  Until anyone reminds me of a better prial, I'm putting today's behind the 4-1 win at Leicester and this season's 3-0 vs Rochdale.  

Memo to Mr. Moore: great sub and change of system today but please don't try Johnson and Mighten together as the left side of a 4-4-2 again!  😬  I've got no fingernails left! 

that is the most ridiculous list of notable former players ever:

Paolo Di Canio
Ross Barkley
Scott Carson
Chris Kirkland
Lloyd Owusu
James Tavernier
Jamie Vardy
Dean Windass
Luke Varney

oh and Sheffield has "a number of restaurants and numerous pubs and bars"
so informative for the travelling fan

• Like 1

GG: Firstly, could you please tell us a little bit about Sheffield Wednesday?

LC: Sheffield Wednesday was founded as a cricket side before forming a football team in 1901–1922. We won the Division One trophy during that time, and for the past twenty years, we have been attempting to return to the First Division.

GG: How do you feel about supporting Sheffield Wednesday in League One, and how does it differ from football in higher leagues?

LC: We were relegated because our owner tried to sell our stadium to himself while it was owned by the council.

GG: Hillsborough is a stadium steeped in history; what do you believe is the most famous event to have occurred there?

LC: I'm guessing we played against Pele in the preseason back in 1960, but that has to be the most famous moment in Hillsborough.

Great stuff

It has always been different rules for "fouls" in the penalty area

Do you think they would give penalties for the innocuous tiny little pushes and touches that they give without a thought in the middle of the pitch?

They should just admit to everyone that there are totally different criteria for a foul to be given in the penaltly area