Erling Haaland….

Yes, everyone is talking about him but it’s not surprising. His record so far this season (and previous record too) is bloody ridiculous.

I may have already said it on here but he has an ‘old fashioned’ knack of being in the right place at the right time. So many of his goals have come so far within say 10 yards of goal. The rebounds seem to drop his way, or the ball falls into his path off the keeper (like last night). It’s like it’s drawn to him.

We saw when he scored his first for City he can power away from defenders, and smash it in, he’s scored headers too, he’s aggressive attacking the ball… Is he the all round striker? I think so.

Owen had pace, but was a poacher and goals from distance weren’t his thing, Van Nistelrooy was a pure poacher. Henry has a bit of everything but wasn’t as aggressive and more cultured a player. Aguero had great movement and was a finisher, as was Robbie Fowler.

Im not saying Hirsty and Haaland are in the same league, different eras, different football, different opponent. But in terms of all round style I don’t recall anyone like Haaland since him. Can you?

34 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Yes, everyone is talking about him but it’s not surprising. His record so far this season (and previous record too) is bloody ridiculous.

I may have already said it on here but he has an ‘old fashioned’ knack of being in the right place at the right time. So many of his goals have come so far within say 10 yards of goal. The rebounds seem to drop his way, or the ball falls into his path off the keeper (like last night). It’s like it’s drawn to him.

We saw when he scored his first for City he can power away from defenders, and smash it in, he’s scored headers too, he’s aggressive attacking the ball… Is he the all round striker? I think so.

Owen had pace, but was a poacher and goals from distance weren’t his thing, Van Nistelrooy was a pure poacher. Henry has a bit of everything but wasn’t as aggressive and more cultured a player. Aguero had great movement and was a finisher, as was Robbie Fowler.

Im not saying Hirsty and Haaland are in the same league, different eras, different football, different opponent. But in terms of all round style I don’t recall anyone like Haaland since him. Can you?

Now come on!  Can you imagine Hirsty having a pony tail?  He'd never dare show his face in Cud'orth again.  

• Haha 1

I said in the football today thread that he reminds me of Hirst.

Perhaps his advantage is that there's not really been players like Hirst, Collymore, Les Ferdinand etc for 15-20 years so modern defenders and systems can't deal with them.

*maybe why on his day Andy Carroll could beat anyone.

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 1

His biggest weapon is his confidence. There’s a real swagger about him, he brushes misses off. You can have all the physical attributes in the world, but if you are mentally right, they count for nothing.

When you look at the greats of the last 20 years, the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Iniesta, Xavi, R9, Ronaldinho etc. Its not just the technical and physical attributes, but the mental attributes too.

That said, he’s a monster physically, we’ve still not seen him against a top team when City don’t dominate the ball and he picks them off on the counter. Some of his goals for Dortmund was him outpacing people on a counter. That’s actually a reason why City bought him, in the latter CL stages they can just use him as an out ball.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andyben said:

*maybe why on his day Andy Carroll could beat anyone.

Agree. Carroll on his day is the nearest English striker I’ve seen to Haaland. But Carroll was nowhere near as consistent, and also not as good.

And as much as I love Hirsty, and I do see the resemblances in relation to pace and raw power, this kid seems to be out on his own. I’ve never seen a striker like him before.

I can’t see a weakness in his game, and it seems not many professionals can either, as so far in the PL he’s been unstoppable. I love watching him play.

• Like 1

I think Hirst and Shearer were very alike. Especially the Shearer pre injury. The biggest difference from a football sense was that Hirsty could play, but didn’t quite have Shearers bloody mindedness to get onto everything that came into the box.

Haaland is in that mould. Physically bigger than both, quicker than both, maybe not with the ability to smash one on from 30 yards, or perhaps not with the same creative abilities as maybe both. But what he does have is just incredible movement. He only plays the width of the box, but his timing in the area is something special.

• Like 1

For the sake of competition, Haaland has to get an injury soon. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Otherwise City, who are already the best team in the country, confirm the fact they're streets ahead of the rest this season (yes, I know 'improving Arsenal' are currently sitting top of the table) and it all becomes extremely boring.

4 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

For the sake of competition, Haaland has to get an injury soon. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Otherwise City, who are already the best team in the country, confirm the fact they're streets ahead of the rest this season (yes, I know 'improving Arsenal' are currently sitting top of the table) and it all becomes extremely boring.

Nowt that keeps the scousers from the title can ever be called boring

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

City will put 4 or 5 past arsenal

38 minutes ago, OptimisticOwl said:

Can't help thinking that if he said his ambition was to play for Wednesday and had it written into his contract that, when this one ends, he gets a free transfer to us for 2 years, he'd be injured in the first 2 weeks and spend a good 18 months plus on the sidelines.

Nah. 
He’d get a career ending injury after signing for us. That’s the Wednesday way. 

You can get 14/1 on sky bet that he scores 10+ goals in his next 5 premier league games.

me and Vialli were on about it yesterday think it’s worth £100

Liverpool

brighton

southampton 

fulham

leicester.

Edited by Winco

1 hour ago, Winco said:

You can get 14/1 on sky bet that he scores 10+ goals in his next 5 premier league games.

me and Vialli were on about it yesterday think it’s worth £100

Liverpool

brighton

southampton 

fulham

leicester.

I hope he scores all ten in the next match.