All English League games off this weekend as a mark of respect to HRH.

HoylandOwl

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/september/efl-statement-weekend-fixtures-postponed/

Further to discussions on Friday morning it has been determined that all EFL fixtures from 9-10 September will be postponed as a mark of respect by the National Sport to the passing of HRH Queen Elizabeth II.

This is aligned with the approach that the Premier League and the FA will take with their competitions this weekend.

Further information, in respect of how football, Clubs and their supporters will commemorate Her Majesty’s reign will be confirmed at an appropriate point.

Details regarding rearranged games will be announced in due course.

• HoylandOwl changed the title to All EFL games off this weekend as a mark of respect to HRH.
  • HoylandOwl changed the title to All English League games off this weekend as a mark of respect to HRH.

I’m uncomfortable with this…

The business world as we know it is continuing as normal today. So people are going to work, bars and restaurants are open and will remain open over the weekend. But many UK sporting events have been cancelled this weekend. 

I have seen the St Leger has been moved back a day.

They are taking about cancelling the boxing at the O2 tomorrow. So 12 fighters have gone through a 8-12 week training camp to potentially have the fight cancelled to be rearranged perhaps in 1-2 months time. This then leads too…

Fan costs. Are hotels and train companies going to refund all costs? Some hotels will be non-refundable at this late stage, and depending on the type of train ticket or even flight, they will be non-refundable. So, is the EFL or government going to cover that cost? Or will be rail, flight and hotel operators make concessions for people? I would say none of that will happen. Remember we are in a cost of living crisis.

As a side note, the queen was a huge horses fan, surely she would want those sporting events to continue and allow those attending to pay there respects.

• Like 2

I read last night that when her father, King George VI, died imminent rugby and another sport's fixtures were postponed but football fixtures went ahead. Almost as if the posh peoples' sports could be postponed but the sport of the hoi polloi had better go ahead.  

It's a very different time from the 1950s now, obviously.  Rugby Union is now professional. So many of the then-perceived 'class differences' have been eroded.  Thankfully, IMO.  

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I’m uncomfortable with this…

The business world as we know it is continuing as normal today. So people are going to work, bars and restaurants are open and will remain open over the weekend. But many UK sporting events have been cancelled this weekend. 

I have seen the St Leger has been moved back a day.

They are taking about cancelling the boxing at the O2 tomorrow. So 12 fighters have gone through a 8-12 week training camp to potentially have the fight cancelled to be rearranged perhaps in 1-2 months time. This then leads too…

Fan costs. Are hotels and train companies going to refund all costs? Some hotels will be non-refundable at this late stage, and depending on the type of train ticket or even flight, they will be non-refundable. So, is the EFL or government going to cover that cost? Or will be rail, flight and hotel operators make concessions for people? I would say none of that will happen. Remember we are in a cost of living crisis.

As a side note, the queen was a huge horses fan, surely she would want those sporting events to continue and allow those attending to pay there respects.

I’m not one to defend the govt at the best of times, but I read earlier about some of the criteria for the period of mourning. I read it as coming from the govt, and included no requirement for sporting and entertainment events to be cancelled.

I’ve no idea whether there’s been any behind the scenes pressure applied, but it looks to me that the decision is with individual sports authorities, not the govt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Fuck me grassroots football cancelled too, that’s ridiculous 

Fucking ludicrous. Firstly not only did she clearly love all sports, but it just gives out totally the wrong message IMO. Celebrate her life with a dignified show of respect and kids having fun, now all your teaching them is when someone dies their weekend gets cancelled.

We get funerals and death so wrong in the western world...

• Like 1

This does seem a bit over the top.  On the day of the actual funeral, then yes, sporting events should be cancelled, but that’s probably a week and a half away.  The Queen was great, but was also 96.  It’s not exactly a shock is it? Haven’t a scooby whether she’d want sport to continue or not, but if she’s been reunited with her husband up there, I suspect he thinks we’re being a bunch of neurotic idiots.  

I’m just relieved it’s only till Sunday as I’ve taken time off and booked a hotel on Tuesday so I can get to new ground Morecambe

It's an absolute joke, despite what the sychophants in the media would have the country believe, not everyone cares about the royal family.

I'm a republican, and personally the only sad bit is someones mother/grandmother has died. Further than that I don't give a shit, but I've had part of my weekend ruined.

Incidently, when Diana died they tried the same thing and our cricket league cancelled all the fixtures but there was an outcry from the clubs so they were reinstated as long as the teams had a two minute silence prior to the game.

I refused to join in and sat on the boundary while the rest stood around in the middle.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, M42Owl said:

I’m not one to defend the govt at the best of times, but I read earlier about some of the criteria for the period of mourning. I read it as coming from the govt, and included no requirement for sporting and entertainment events to be cancelled.

I’ve no idea whether there’s been any behind the scenes pressure applied, but it looks to me that the decision is with individual sports authorities, not the govt.

Agreed: that's how I read it today. Not only that but it seemed that in late morning the interpretation had been changed to make it that it was a) up to individual sports to decide for themselves what to do, and b) a lot less likely that there would be postponements after today.  Even regarding the day of the funeral, it was being suggested that the TIMES of games should be changed to avoid clashing with the televised ceremonies.

Then very shortly afterwards the weekend's football was completely cancelled. 

7 minutes ago, The Sentinel said:

It's an absolute joke, despite what the sychophants in the media would have the country believe, not everyone cares about the royal family.

I'm a republican, and personally the only sad bit is someones mother/grandmother has died. Further than that I don't give a shit, but I've had part of my weekend ruined.

Incidently, when Diana died they tried the same thing and our cricket league cancelled all the fixtures but there was an outcry from the clubs so they were reinstated as long as the teams had a two minute silence prior to the game.

I refused to join in and sat on the boundary while the rest stood around in the middle.

Perhaps your living in the wrong country to be a republican I suggest France or the USA.

14 minutes ago, The Sentinel said:

D79186D7-BFEB-4656-A1CC-CF8B7AA3D935.gif.3d7f98ecda90c7233c72042724567d06.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I kind of get why they have cancelled the games this weekend (although I probably wouldn't have, especially with the cricket being on). I really don't get why it took them so long to reach that conclusion though, making it too late for some people to cancel and get refunds etc. Surely they could've made a decision last night, or at least first thing this morning.

1 hour ago, Manonthebridge said:

Perhaps your living in the wrong country to be a republican I suggest France or the USA.

I was born in England and have lived here all my life. Why should I move because I don’t think a privileged by birth family should suck a life of luxury from the taxpayers?
You keep doffing your cap mate, but don’t expect me to do the same I’m better than that 😡 

1 hour ago, The Sentinel said:

I was born in England and have lived here all my life. Why should I move because I don’t think a privileged by birth family should suck a life of luxury from the taxpayers?
You keep doffing your cap mate, but don’t expect me to do the same I’m better than that 😡 

I suggested you move to be amongst other republicans rather than being lonesome sat on the boundary doing your one man protest!!

I have never felt the need to doff my cap to anyone. Perhaps you have a inferiority complex in regards to people being your superiors.

You keep thinking how much better a man you are perhaps it will help you lose the inferiority complex.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Manonthebridge said:

I suggested you move to be amongst other republicans rather than being lonesome sat on the boundary doing your one man protest!!

I have never felt the need to doff my cap to anyone. Perhaps you have a inferiority complex in regards to people being your superiors.

You keep thinking how much better a man you are perhaps it will help you lose the inferiority complex.

You keep doffing your cap and being subservient mate. Not for me but if you like being shat on then good luck to you 😂

Well one small thing to come out of this : at least the FA have allowed football to gain a bit of moral high ground over the pompously superior rugby lot.

But I tend to agree that it is a bit of an overreaction and has denied the football community a chance to give her their own send-off.

10 hours ago, The Sentinel said:

You keep doffing your cap and being subservient mate. Not for me but if you like being shat on then good luck to you 😂

People have differing opinions re the monarchy, and I completely get that. 
So as you said Sentinel, someone’s gran/mum/aunt died. Let’s just leave it there please.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

So had we but we decided against it as we were only staying tomorrow night.  I hope you two manage to enjoy being down there.  👍

We tried to book for an extra night but they're fully booked up, so we're going to have a tootle round Plymouth then head home, ready for another stay over at Blackpool on Tuesday night, Alan knows how to give a woman a good time 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Its not proportionate postponing all the games at such short notice at a time when there is a cost of living crisis when working people (like people on here) have spent good money to go to football. 

A recognition of her passing away could have been done in many ways.

It looks even more out of step when you see other sports continuing and as others have said business continuing, which is what professional foot ball is. 

Typical EFL and FA 

8 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Its not proportionate postponing all the games at such short notice at a time when there is a cost of living crisis when working people (like people on here) have spent good money to go to football. 

A recognition of her passing away could have been done in many ways.

It looks even more out of step when you see other sports continuing and as others have said business continuing, which is what professional foot ball is. 

Typical EFL and FA 

C'mon damned if the do, damned if they didn’t.

Football is often seen as not living in the real world. The cost of living crisis where the EPL clubs splurged well over a billion pounds on transfer fees funded out of TV contracts paid for by a good chunk of the general public.

For once football did not want to be seen as up its own arse. Don't worry it will soon return to form

It's annoying and hereby speaks someone who is far from a monarchist. Just watched the proclamations, historic but anachronistic at the same time. There was the Establishment in one room, lets doff our caps at their wisdom (basically that wisdom let's keep all the wealth and power to the select few here) 

So football as the biggest, most talked about sport in the UK has doffed its cap 

12 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

C'mon damned if the do, damned if they didn’t.

Football is often seen as not living in the real world. The cost of living crisis where the EPL clubs splurged well over a billion pounds on transfer fees funded out of TV contracts paid for by a good chunk of the general public.

For once football did not want to be seen as up its own arse. Don't worry it will soon return to form

It's annoying and hereby speaks someone who is far from a monarchist. Just watched the proclamations, historic but anachronistic at the same time. There was the Establishment in one room, lets doff our caps at their wisdom (basically that wisdom let's keep all the wealth and power to the select few here) 

So football as the biggest, most talked about sport in the UK has doffed its cap 

So it’s not just me that’s doffing!!

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

20220910_131023.thumb.jpg.e0caad2f06773630d533a3729001d57e.jpg

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

For those missing the Plymouth match thread. Been a cracking day for it, the re-arranged game it's bound to be a wet and windy Tuesday night

They redeveloping that side of the  ground, Kev?

Pitch looks a bit dry.