Jump to content

On this day


Reesh

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Watched the game with my dad and L**ds supporting brother.

Brother pissed himself laughing when Blackburn went 1-0 up. He was left speechless shortly after though and was raving about how good we were by half-time. 

We were incredible that night.

Where did you Bury the brother?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JBO said:

He was a good defender Hendry

 

Anyone would have been done by Warhurst and Gazza on those occasions

The look on Bobby Mimms face was superb, nearly as good as the game at ours two seasons prior....

 

Smug was the expression 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Owling_Wolf said:

I like it.

Shittiest one for me was the gold / black shiny striped one from a few years back. Really tacky. Always reminded me of toffee wrappers.  

It was awful and synonymous with the 8 nowt drubbing at Newcastle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recall that one. Particularly the feelings of how are we 3 nil up at half time and when Blackburn scored the anticipation of them hauling us back.

What a tiger-ish midfield that was with Jonk, Sonner and Rudi in it Alexandersson was a class player.

I wish Id been at the game at the start of this thread, I only watched it live on TV. Probably the best if not in the top 5 performance of a Wednesday side Ive seen in my experience of watching them. The others being, the Waddle West Ham game, the Cup semi-final, the League Cup final (different kind of performance) and home to Brighton play-off. Im sure someone will now tell me about a game I should have also included, e.g. the times we beat Man U or the Victims etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On this day in 1989, Big Ron signed a club legend for £750m and we went on to win the league, the league Cup, the European Cup and the World Club Cup 5 seasons running as a consequence.

Try telling the kids of today that and they won't believe you.

Great days indeed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Skamp said:

On this day in 1989, Big Ron signed a club legend for £750m and we went on to win the league, the league Cup, the European Cup and the World Club Cup 5 seasons running as a consequence.

Try telling the kids of today that and they won't believe you.

Great days indeed.

HAHAHAHAHA Brilliant. Good old CP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Skamp said:

FIFTY YEARS ago. Yes, FIFTY YEARS ago today I bunked off school during the power cuts at the time to watch Wednesday lose 2-0 to some Brazilian team with some famous guy playing for them.

 

Fuck me. FIFTY FUCKING YEARS.

Thanks everyone for not correcting me.

FIFTYONE FUCKING YEARS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting hypothetical question if Moore had been appointed and fans were allowed in the ground at the time - would the failure to save us from relegation have cost him the job. Alternatively would his enthusiasm have transmitted to the fans and helped us avoid the drop 

Personally I think the Club was at a low ebb on and off the field and the this season in particular has really helped re-build the connection between Club and fans and Moore to his credit is instrumental in that - off the pitch as much on it 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Interesting hypothetical question if Moore had been appointed and fans were allowed in the ground at the time - would the failure to save us from relegation have cost him the job. Alternatively would his enthusiasm have transmitted to the fans and helped us avoid the drop 

Personally I think the Club was at a low ebb on and off the field and the this season in particular has really helped re-build the connection between Club and fans and Moore to his credit is instrumental in that - off the pitch as much on it 

 

I think that Moore absolutely should have kept us up. We didn’t really improve under him, and there were some awful displays with, what was on paper, an ok squad.

But… it’s worth factoring in that if it wasn’t for the points deduction, we got enough points to stay in the division, and we had a lot of poison in the squad that had to be cleared out and I also think that had Moore come in after Monk, he might have been able to sort out recruitment sooner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I think that Moore absolutely should have kept us up. We didn’t really improve under him, and there were some awful displays with, what was on paper, an ok squad.

But… it’s worth factoring in that if it wasn’t for the points deduction, we got enough points to stay in the division, and we had a lot of poison in the squad that had to be cleared out and I also think that had Moore come in after Monk, he might have been able to sort out recruitment sooner. 

Let's not forget his illness during that part-season.  That must have been highly frustrating as well as debilitating.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/03/2023 at 14:22, Andyben said:

last season was more disapointing than the relegation season

We paid for a poor spell pre Christmas, largely compounded by a lack of defenders and constant tinkering. The form after Christmas was pretty spectacular.

Biggest difference has been his settling on his spine of the team. You know that if fit, there are 8 players who will play every game.

Palmer, Flint (McGuiness and Ihiekwe), Johnson, Bannan, Byers, Vaulks, Smith, Windass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Just watched this….

Kinnell we were so good weren’t we back then. I feel so grateful that I got to watch us live for those few years. So many fantastic players, that were a joy to watch. 
I’ll never tire of watching this team back on footage like this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Sort of says a lot about the state of England's keeper situation at the time after Shilton retired and the fact that 40 year old Shilton was preferred at Italia 90.

Was Woods really that much better than Beasant or Martyn?

Miles better than Beasant, Martyn was just making a name for himself as was Seaman.

 

Must have been hard watching Italia 90 for you, Wales being absent as usual

 

Edited by Reesh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Sort of says a lot about the state of England's keeper situation at the time after Shilton retired and the fact that 40 year old Shilton was preferred at Italia 90.

Was Woods really that much better than Beasant or Martyn?

Martyn I think ended up being better, but at the time, absolutely not. Beasant? Not a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I was delighted when we signed Woods. Although didn’t like that he was more afraid of crosses than Dracula. 
However, he was very good with his feet and he always struck me as being very good 1 on 1 too.

Rarely mentioned now is that Woods was generally appreciated by the 'away crowd' and put in some superb away performances. Just off the top I remember a classic performance by him at Spurs that helped us clinch an excellent away win.  None of which excuses the ghastliness of the Cup Final replay or at Bumhole Stain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Miles better than Beasant, Martyn was just making a name for himself as was Seaman.

 

Must have been hard watching Italia 90 for you, Wales being absent as usual

 

Funny how he didn't mention fat and shit Nev still getting picked for the Taffs at 39....well until he got hooked and his international career ended at half time during a game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...