On this day

2 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Watched the game with my dad and L**ds supporting brother.

Brother pissed himself laughing when Blackburn went 1-0 up. He was left speechless shortly after though and was raving about how good we were by half-time. 

We were incredible that night.

Where did you Bury the brother?

13 minutes ago, JBO said:

He was a good defender Hendry

Anyone would have been done by Warhurst and Gazza on those occasions

The look on Bobby Mimms face was superb, nearly as good as the game at ours two seasons prior....

Smug was the expression 

• 2 weeks later...

I recall that one. Particularly the feelings of how are we 3 nil up at half time and when Blackburn scored the anticipation of them hauling us back.

What a tiger-ish midfield that was with Jonk, Sonner and Rudi in it Alexandersson was a class player.

I wish Id been at the game at the start of this thread, I only watched it live on TV. Probably the best if not in the top 5 performance of a Wednesday side Ive seen in my experience of watching them. The others being, the Waddle West Ham game, the Cup semi-final, the League Cup final (different kind of performance) and home to Brighton play-off. Im sure someone will now tell me about a game I should have also included, e.g. the times we beat Man U or the Victims etc. 

On this day in 1989, Big Ron signed a club legend for £750m and we went on to win the league, the league Cup, the European Cup and the World Club Cup 5 seasons running as a consequence.

Try telling the kids of today that and they won't believe you.

Great days indeed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skamp said:

On this day in 1989, Big Ron signed a club legend for £750m and we went on to win the league, the league Cup, the European Cup and the World Club Cup 5 seasons running as a consequence.

Try telling the kids of today that and they won't believe you.

Great days indeed.

HAHAHAHAHA Brilliant. Good old CP.

5 hours ago, Skamp said:

FIFTY YEARS ago. Yes, FIFTY YEARS ago today I bunked off school during the power cuts at the time to watch Wednesday lose 2-0 to some Brazilian team with some famous guy playing for them.

Fuck me. FIFTY FUCKING YEARS.

Thanks everyone for not correcting me.

FIFTYONE FUCKING YEARS.

Interesting hypothetical question if Moore had been appointed and fans were allowed in the ground at the time - would the failure to save us from relegation have cost him the job. Alternatively would his enthusiasm have transmitted to the fans and helped us avoid the drop 

Personally I think the Club was at a low ebb on and off the field and the this season in particular has really helped re-build the connection between Club and fans and Moore to his credit is instrumental in that - off the pitch as much on it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Interesting hypothetical question if Moore had been appointed and fans were allowed in the ground at the time - would the failure to save us from relegation have cost him the job. Alternatively would his enthusiasm have transmitted to the fans and helped us avoid the drop 

Personally I think the Club was at a low ebb on and off the field and the this season in particular has really helped re-build the connection between Club and fans and Moore to his credit is instrumental in that - off the pitch as much on it 

I think that Moore absolutely should have kept us up. We didn’t really improve under him, and there were some awful displays with, what was on paper, an ok squad.

But… it’s worth factoring in that if it wasn’t for the points deduction, we got enough points to stay in the division, and we had a lot of poison in the squad that had to be cleared out and I also think that had Moore come in after Monk, he might have been able to sort out recruitment sooner. 

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I think that Moore absolutely should have kept us up. We didn’t really improve under him, and there were some awful displays with, what was on paper, an ok squad.

But… it’s worth factoring in that if it wasn’t for the points deduction, we got enough points to stay in the division, and we had a lot of poison in the squad that had to be cleared out and I also think that had Moore come in after Monk, he might have been able to sort out recruitment sooner. 

Let's not forget his illness during that part-season.  That must have been highly frustrating as well as debilitating.  

On 01/03/2023 at 14:22, Andyben said:

last season was more disapointing than the relegation season

We paid for a poor spell pre Christmas, largely compounded by a lack of defenders and constant tinkering. The form after Christmas was pretty spectacular.

Biggest difference has been his settling on his spine of the team. You know that if fit, there are 8 players who will play every game.

Palmer, Flint (McGuiness and Ihiekwe), Johnson, Bannan, Byers, Vaulks, Smith, Windass.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched this….

Kinnell we were so good weren’t we back then. I feel so grateful that I got to watch us live for those few years. So many fantastic players, that were a joy to watch. 
I’ll never tire of watching this team back on footage like this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Sort of says a lot about the state of England's keeper situation at the time after Shilton retired and the fact that 40 year old Shilton was preferred at Italia 90.

Was Woods really that much better than Beasant or Martyn?

Miles better than Beasant, Martyn was just making a name for himself as was Seaman.

Must have been hard watching Italia 90 for you, Wales being absent as usual

Edited by Reesh

10 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Sort of says a lot about the state of England's keeper situation at the time after Shilton retired and the fact that 40 year old Shilton was preferred at Italia 90.

Was Woods really that much better than Beasant or Martyn?

Martyn I think ended up being better, but at the time, absolutely not. Beasant? Not a chance.

49 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I was delighted when we signed Woods. Although didn’t like that he was more afraid of crosses than Dracula. 
However, he was very good with his feet and he always struck me as being very good 1 on 1 too.

Rarely mentioned now is that Woods was generally appreciated by the 'away crowd' and put in some superb away performances. Just off the top I remember a classic performance by him at Spurs that helped us clinch an excellent away win.  None of which excuses the ghastliness of the Cup Final replay or at Bumhole Stain. 

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Miles better than Beasant, Martyn was just making a name for himself as was Seaman.

Must have been hard watching Italia 90 for you, Wales being absent as usual

Funny how he didn't mention fat and shit Nev still getting picked for the Taffs at 39....well until he got hooked and his international career ended at half time during a game