Has he gone yet?

If we aren't in the top 3 and within 3 points of the top 2 after 10 games then I agree. He's definitely got to get this team to produce this season or DC needs to pull the trigger.

As someone said its not how you start its how you finish, but he's had almost everything he could have wished for to prepare for this season so I don't think he can make excuses (that he might have had last season). Yes theres a bit of bedding in of the back 5 to do but its not as though they have just met, most of them have been training together all pre season.

DC wont get rid any sooner than 10 games in.  

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

The football might not be entertaining but Tony Mowbray got Blackburn out of this division and then into the Championship top 6 til Diaz got injured. 

He'd also sort the defending out. 

If I want entertaining I'll watch Man City. I want Wednesday to win and if it means winning ugly then so be it. In this division, people follow a winning team. 

Edited by Tylluan

17 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

The same problems we all saw 12 months ago, still ring true. It’s so annoying. 

DM will be out of a job by the end of November if he doesn’t stop it. Or, we end up just scoring more than we concede…. Newcastle style.

We were gonna win that today 'til the moment they went all Wycombe on us and the moronic ref. assisted them in doing so. 

2 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

We were gonna win that today 'til the moment they went all Wycombe on us and the moronic ref. assisted them in doing so. 

True, re them changing what they were doing. But, isn't that what a manager should try to do, when his team aren't getting their way? 

People might not like how they played today, and no I'm not saying Danny Cowley is the answer but what he did, was his changes got them something (nearly everything) out of a game that we were absolutely dominating. Personally speaking, aside from not booking one of their players for doing what Windass did to get booked, the ref IMO had a very good first half overall. In the second, it was like he'd realised that he is actually shit and reverted to type. But, his decisions didn't influence the result in terms of free kicks that lead to goals etc.. 

Funny in the drive home i was pondering doing a "he'll be gone by end of September" post and then discovered this thread.

I am sure he said in the post match interview that it was alright to concede from crosses as it was from open play not a set piece.

So today did feel like groundhog day - even the piss poor substitutions. Its the fact it takes a fucking age, then changes his mind. The players must go WTF 

4 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Funny in the drive home i was pondering doing a "he'll be gone by end of September" post and then discovered this thread.

I am sure he said in the post match interview that it was alright to concede from crosses as it was from open play not a set piece.

So today did feel like groundhog day - even the piss poor substitutions. Its the fact it takes a fucking age, then changes his mind. The players must go WTF 

He didn't say it was alright to concede from crosses, but he did say, last season we were conceding from set pieces coming in and today's weren't, so 'at least we've improved on that'. Which while it technically is correct, it's still almost akin to a schoolkid flicking the V's up to someone after they 'got done' by the teacher.  

The subs, Smith was waiting 5 minutes to get on, and Vaulks I think took about 10, with James getting up then sitting back down again.

I can see no reason to keep a clown of a manager who was a defender being unable to coach a defence which cannot defend no matter how many people he tries. No game management skills at all. I refuse to acknowledge that there are not better people out there who could work the oracle with these players.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

He didn't say it was alright to concede from crosses, but he did say, last season we were conceding from set pieces coming in and today's weren't, so 'at least we've improved on that'. Which while it technically is correct, it's still almost akin to a schoolkid flicking the V's up to someone after they 'got done' by the teacher.  

The subs, Smith was waiting 5 minutes to get on, and Vaulks I think took about 10, with James getting up then sitting back down again.

Tbh I was driving back so perhaps I interpreted it slightly incorrectly. If you were listening to PoG though there was a bloke Mick on. I had heard all that during the game as he sat behind me. Not a fan of Iorfa 

Moore isn't a bad manager, but what he does lack is the 5% factor that prevents him becoming a good manager or importantly one that will be successful in gaining auto promotion. 

With the assembled squad of players then anything less than top 6 is a failure but it needs the things Moore does not possess to transform that to top 2.

The media stuff is ancillary to the main job, but if you listened to the Paul Warne post match interview compared to Moore, different level 

You mentioned something in another thread about his faffing with the subs and it appearing to be indecision and I wholeheartedly agree, it's been going on for months now. I get not making a change if we score, but it's every week they're up and down like yo-yos 

19 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

You mentioned something in another thread about his faffing with the subs and it appearing to be indecision and I wholeheartedly agree, it's been going on for months now. I get not making a change if we score, but it's every week they're up and down like yo-yos 

It can't be good for the players, physically the risk of injury from limbering up then stopping for 5 mins before going on, but in terms of respect for the manager and indeed trust he knows what he is doing must drain.

He seems OK at getting players in, ok the contract they sign might help in that regard, but I am still not convinced by his player management abilities either. 

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Moore isn't a bad manager, but what he does lack is the 5% factor that prevents him becoming a good manager or importantly one that will be successful in gaining auto promotion. 

With the assembled squad of players then anything less than top 6 is a failure but it needs the things Moore does not possess to transform that to top 2.

The media stuff is ancillary to the main job, but if you listened to the Paul Warne post match interview compared to Moore, different level 

His post match (DM) with Radio Sheffield hurt my head. 

He’s got to show some bravery and swap a system if it’s not working. If a back three isn’t working, go to a back four.

What he does ahead of that doesn’t matter, we’ve got the best attacking group in the league.

If he signed Wilkes, he could easily go 4-3-3 with Windass and Wilkes either side of Smith/Gregory.

When I look at the four defenders we have signed, have any of them played in a back three? I’m guessing not.

3 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

This. It was a farce towards the end

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

He’s got to show some bravery and swap a system if it’s not working. If a back three isn’t working, go to a back four.

What he does ahead of that doesn’t matter, we’ve got the best attacking group in the league.

If he signed Wilkes, he could easily go 4-3-3 with Windass and Wilkes either side of Smith/Gregory.

When I look at the four defenders we have signed, have any of them played in a back three? I’m guessing not.

He should. But he won't /can't. The (majority) players he has brought in can only really fit this system 

31 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Haven't all the  defenders he bought only played in a back 4 before?

It wont suit Hunt or Neymarv tho

My fault I should have been bit clearer. Mainly I was referring to number of central midfield players he has brought in. All decent tbf, but how do you fit them in. No natural wide player, apart from Johnson who is not being used in best position. 

We have the players for 4-4-2. You could play Johnson and Hunt in front of Palmer and James. You could tap up the loan market for out and out wingers. But you couldn't play Bannan in a midfield two, in this division, or whoever was with him would look like Joey Pelupessy when the other 3 have bombed on and are out of position. You need workhorses as the middle two. Fizz could be Carlton but Baz isn't Shez. 

We could play 4-3-3 but that would need two runners and a holder in the middle and Bannan isn't either. 

So we play 3-5-2 to accommodate the playmaker

17 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

We have the players for 4-4-2. You could play Johnson and Hunt in front of Palmer and James. You could tap up the loan market for out and out wingers. But you couldn't play Bannan in a midfield two, in this division, or whoever was with him would look like Joey Pelupessy when the other 3 have bombed on and are out of position. You need workhorses as the middle two. Fizz could be Carlton but Baz isn't Shez. 

We could play 4-3-3 but that would need two runners and a holder in the middle and Bannan isn't either. 

We've got 6 central midfielders.  End of...

23 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

If we played a narrow diamond with Vaulks / Byers at base, BB could be the left side and fizz/Adeniran / Barkinson right, Windass or BB at peak

Mowbray is a good shout. He did well for Cov and subsequently for Blackburn, without much money to play with at either. Hes now got the experience that he was lacking when he first got into management. As Ty says, some degree of pragmatism might be necessary in some games, but from my memory of the Blackburn team that he managed they also played some good football.

Going back to DM. I dont know if he considers himself as being tactically astute, but if he needs some help he should get it. I don't know if he (DM) misses that support that Paul Williams brought but again get someone else

1 hour ago, Professor Plum said:

Moore will get us promoted this season and that will be automatic. He'll go to a back four shortly and will alternate that with a back 3 depending on the opposition. The left back position is leaking crosses and Johnson needs pushing further forward to make better use of that wand of a left foot he has. 

I think he knows this as he intimated the possibility during an interview prior to the start of the season. We've played one game at home and drawn, way too early to be calling for the managers head. Give him a chance and see how he responds.

Good to see you back PP. I don't think its really calling for his head more doubts he has the required credentials to get us across the finishing line.

Nothing really re-assured me in that respect yesterday. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bricat said:

The bloke's made the same mistakes all the time he's been here.We do not have the players to play 3 at the back nor have players waiting several minutes as substitutes to come on.

Moore or PP?

Edited by Andyben
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Strange today player goes down injured players come over to technical area for a drink Barnsley manager talking explaining rallying them Moore just stayed sat on his box 😡😡😡😡 should’ve been shoving rockets up their arses never mind have words after 😡😡😡

Edited by HappyOwl
In on
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I've always been massively in the Moore in camp, but he was our worst performer today. Subs were literally baffling, even Johnson expected to get hooked for James

He's just been a caricature today of that old 'Definition of madness' thing: doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome.  Even when we got into an attacking position, on the wing in their half, we turned and played the sodding thing back to our defenders. And I don't mean for them to switch the point of attack, I mean to start playing 'After you, Claude", until it was time for us to play 'After you, Dingle' again.  😡

1 hour ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Small group chanting for him to go today, shouted down by a bigger crowd

Guy who lead the chant of Moore out turned up on RS. Sadly he wasn't very eloquent so his point was picked to pieces. 

Saying that you hear Paul Warne speak, even Duff and its a different level of conversation.

I think Moore becoming director of football that gets mentioned is a good shout 

3 minutes ago, Professor Plum said:

Ooh, where you seen that?

I reckon that's the way to go, get big Dunc in if he isn't beating burglars up. We need a bit of action on the sidelines, not the absolute inertia we're seeing now. Them opposition coaches would be cowering in front of big Dunc instead of taking the piss out of Moore. Moore doing the overview with his arse firmly placed in the direstors box during the game.

It's more that he is good at attracting players, just not very good at getting the best out of them. Hence the DofF role would suit him.

At times last season we did play good attacking football, but we seen to have retreated to a more pragmatic style again. It's just not a lot to enthuse the crowd

12 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

It's more that he is good at attracting players, just not very good at getting the best out of them. Hence the DofF role would suit him.

At times last season we did play good attacking football, but we seen to have retreated to a more pragmatic style again. It's just not a lot to enthuse the crowd

If I wanted to take a very good looking squad / team (on paper) and set out to turn them into a chaotic shambles, I'd instruct them to play exactly how we tried to today, instead of how we played after Xmas last season. 

I’ve wanted him out since Peterborough, since that stupid fucking substitution of Byers a minute before half-time.

We can have one or two great results under DM and it brings false hope, in that you finally think he’s got it - but each and every time, as has been proven again today, we fall spectacularly on our arses and show ourselves up tactically.

And that’s why I’ve no longer got the patience I once had for DM. He’s a lovely bloke, I like him as a person and everything, but as a manager he’s just not up to the task.

We won’t go up automatically with him in charge - we just get found out too much and drop too many points because of it! 

• Like 1