George Hirst

George Hirst   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have him back next season?

• Yes
    • No

Thought he actually conducted himself well yesterday ( considering he scored and never gave us any stick) but also thought Wednesday fans didn’t hammer him as much i I thought he’d get

He’s out of contract with Leicester and if terms for ok for both parties would you have him back and water under the bridge or do you hold a grudge and never want him here?

He's not out of contract. He's got another year but, as per my post in the match thread, he's too old for Leicester 23s and he won't make their 1st team squad. 

Leicester are hoping his recent form means someone will buy him and he'll be available for around £500k. Portsmouth want him back but only on loan and he wants to go back but Leicester will hold out for a full wage loan if that's the only way of getting him out. 

1 minute ago, Tylluan said:

He's not out of contract. He's got another year but, as per my post in the match thread, he's too old for Leicester 23s and he won't make their 1st team squad. 

Leicester are hoping his recent form means someone will buy him and he'll be available for around £500k. Portsmouth want him back but only on loan and he wants to go back but Leicester will hold out for a full wage loan if that's the only way of getting him out. 

Apologies thought he was outta contract 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Wawaw said:

Apologies thought he was outta contract 🤦🏻‍♂️

He had to sign for Leuven on a five year contract to stop the compensation claim going legal. Leicester had to take on the rest of the contract when they 'signed' him.

9 minutes ago, MPB said:

Voted yes....it was a quandary after the way his fatha acted in this ....but he's still relatively young....not yer main actor yet but Vardy came late to the plate....?

Voted no but it depends what division we're in. Would we want to be throwing £11k+ a week at a forward who might not be playing every week in the Championship when we could have someone like Ladapo, who's out of contract and 1 in 3 this season and 1 in 3 throughout his Rotherham career. 

Would you have Hirst or a sharper Berahino being given a run in the side?

2 minutes ago, Wawaw said:

Aye I can remember the rigmarole around his transfer hence it left a lot of fans quite pissed off with how it happened 

A lot of vitriol for him yesterday...must admit....and this ain't gonna go down well....but from what I heard from a "mate" of David Eric Hirst....his fatha want in the best of financial health....Hirst senior had a cash cow and blind monetary greed took hold...

Best thing for him to do is to leave Leicester and head to a club like Peterborough United for a few seasons. 

They'd be a great club for him to continue his development. He's not quite championship material yet but another season or two in league one will do him the world of good

I must admit he looked a far better striker than he did at Fratton Park. He was non-league standard there, now I can see the lad has potential to be a decent striker

I wouldn't take him back to be honest if we're in the championship. 

Edited by Kiwi Owl
  • Like 1

A young kid who acted on the (poor) advice of others to better and further his career.

I can’t hold that against him, plus life is too short. If he’s good enough and fits into what the gaffer wants to strengthen the squad and add something to the team, then why not? 

11 hours ago, Wawaw said:

Thought he actually conducted himself well yesterday ( considering he scored and never gave us any stick) but also thought Wednesday fans didn’t hammer him as much i I thought he’d get

He’s out of contract with Leicester and if terms for ok for both parties would you have him back and water under the bridge or do you hold a grudge and never want him here?

He conducted himself well because he didn't give us any stick? What the fuck did we or the club for that matter ever do to him? He fucked us over, so fuck him and fuck his Dad.

5 hours ago, Footlikeatractionengine said:

That chance he missed second half tells me he isn't good enough. Could have gone either side but hit it straight at BPF. 

I think it's far 2 say there has been the occasional sitter missed by our forwards. It happens. He struck it clean as a whistle and he probably expected it to go right through BPF😉

7 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

He conducted himself well because he didn't give us any stick? What the fuck did we or the club for that matter ever do to him? He fucked us over, so fuck him and fuck his Dad.

Apart from at fratton park most fans sang the chant “your dads a hero but your a ****” yeah nowt 

37 minutes ago, Wawaw said:

Apart from at fratton park most fans sang the chant “your dads a hero but your a ****” yeah nowt 

He is a ****. Shafted us out of a fee to line his own pocket. Not like he'd been at the club since he was a kid and had literally thousands of hours of free coaching.

To answer the originally posted question, I wouldn't want him, he's already proven he's all about the money. If we signed him and he did well he'd expect to be off. Plus Gregory's better.

It’s not that simple.

yes of course he could have said yes to what we offered, but for whatever reason it wasn’t accepted. 
He’ll have been advised not to. 

He still called us his boyhood club in the build up, so he’s still got some feeling for us.  But as what’s already been said, foootballers think differently

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

He is a ****. Shafted us out of a fee to line his own pocket. Not like he'd been at the club since he was a kid and had literally thousands of hours of free coaching.

To answer the originally posted question, I wouldn't want him, he's already proven he's all about the money. If we signed him and he did well he'd expect to be off. Plus Gregory's better.

Be a decent foil for Gregory 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Absolutely Gregory is better. Right now. But where was Lee at Hirst age? Halifax was it? I'm not sure tbh. I'd take Gregory all day over Hirst, but I think they'd make a decent combination 

4 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis said:

Not for me. It's the way he left and shafted us, absolutely no need. He could have had his pick of most PL clubs so didn't have to do it that way, doesn't sit right with me, he's a money grabbing **** and ive already seen too many of them at Wednesday. Football is fickle though and I will no doubt be singing his name if he signs 😂

He joined a club where one of the blokes who's been around his entire life was manager. 

• Like 1

Football is all about money these days. I also think David thought he missed a golden opportunity to win something with Man Utd when he wasn't let go. I'm sure he could have earned more but I don't think he was left short. On the face of it he (George) left us without us getting a decent fee, but  I'm not blaming him, it's the clubs fault - that's football these days.

If I thought he would score sufficient goals to push us forward in whatever league the yes I'd have him back. After all, if he is an Owl you'd have thought he will put a shift in.

its not going to happen though. So it's pretty irrelevant really.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

15 minutes ago, Reesh said:

No but it was fucking convenient wasn't it. 

Not really thought about that aspect but I think you are right Reesh, you can imagine a conversation between NP and DH. Don't get me wrong I wasn't happy when he left and I knew NP would know all about him etc, but I didn't think it was a factor in him signing there but it make sense in terms of looking after him.

11 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Not really thought about that aspect but I think you are right Reesh, you can imagine a conversation between NP and DH. Don't get me wrong I wasn't happy when he left and I knew NP would know all about him etc, but I didn't think it was a factor in him signing there but it make sense in terms of looking after him.

That club that Nigel Pearson was manager of at the time, is owned by the same people that own Leicester City

A season later, he signs for Leicester from them

Purely to avoid paying compo

The issue I have over whole Hirst affair is with Leicester City. I cannot believe the compo would have been more than the 2 million we rejected.

1 minute ago, Kiwi Owl said:

That club that Nigel Pearson was manager of at the time, is owned by the same people that own Leicester City

A season later, he signs for Leicester from them

Purely to avoid paying compo

The issue I have over whole Hirst affair is with Leicester City. I cannot believe the compo would have been more than the 2 million we rejected.

Not like Leicester to be cheating ***** 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Football is all about money these days. I also think David thought he missed a golden opportunity to win something with Man Utd when he wasn't let go. I'm sure he could have earned more but I don't think he was left short. On the face of it he (George) left us without us getting a decent fee, but  I'm not blaming him, it's the clubs fault - that's football these days.

If I thought he would score sufficient goals to push us forward in whatever league the yes I'd have him back. After all, if he is an Owl you'd have thought he will put a shift in.

its not going to happen though. So it's pretty irrelevant really.

There's a good argument that Man U only had the success they did because they didn't sign Hirsty.

It's well documented that it was Cantona's influence (staying back to practice after training etc.) that had a positive effect on the youth players/class of 92 and one of the reasons Fergie signed Cantona was because he'd been knocked back for Hirsty. 

Reckon Hirsty would have stayed back to do extra training or do you reckon he'd have been dragging Nicky Butt and the others down the pub with Robson? I know which one I reckon...

Edited by Otto_Man

9 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

There's a good argument that Man U only had the success they did because they didn't sign Hirsty.

It's well documented that it was Cantona's influence (staying back to practice after training etc.) that had a positive effect on the youth players/class of 92 and one of the reasons Fergie signed Cantona was because he'd been knocked back for Hirsty. 

Reckon Hirsty would have stayed back to do extra training or do you reckon he'd have been dragging Nicky Butt and the others down the pub with Robson? I know which one I reckon...

Who knows but he was easily the best striker in the country at the time.