Owlsonline Player of the Season

Player of the season  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Vote now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/24 at 09:48

• Reesh changed the title to Owlsonline Player of the Season

Seems like that, he's won about 4 fan group awards and I'm at a total loss to understand why. Possibly his "worst" season at the club, 1 goal, fuck all assists and been took off set plays because his delivery has been generally poor. 

Great servant to the club, but if we want to move forward he's not the man to take us there...

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Like 2

Just now, Otto_Man said:

Seems like that, he's won about 4 fan group awards and I'm at a total loss to understand why. Possibly his "worst" season at the club, 1 goal, fuck all assists and been took off set plays because his delivery is woeful. 

Great servant to the club, but if we want to move forward he's not the man to take us there...

Rohl seems to agree with you, we need better than Palmer and Bannan if we want to push on!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Rohl seems to agree with you, we need better than Palmer and Bannan if we want to push on!

Rohl said he wants to play a back 4 with 2 6's.

So that means Palmer, Bannan and Marv out. When he's tried it with them, we got spanked.

It may end up being better for the club just to have a clean break, as they'll be bench fodder at best, so avoiding the type of shite surrounding Gregory this season. (why pay him if he's not going to play, we'd have won that if he'd played, etc.)

On another note, 'servant', 'loyal'.

Offer any of them 25% less than another club will give them and see how much they love the club.

1 minute ago, Tewksbury said:

Rohl said he wants to play a back 4 with 2 6's.

So that means Palmer, Bannan and Marv out. When he's tried it with them, we got spanked.

It may end up being better for the club just to have a clean break, as they'll be bench fodder at best, so avoiding the type of shite surrounding Gregory this season. (why pay him if he's not going to play, we'd have won that if he'd played, etc.)

On another note, 'servant', 'loyal'.

Offer any of them 25% less than another club will give them and see how much they love the club.

I think Danny has already identified replacements, they will be young athletes who will have the potential to raise funds through sales, of the Gassama/Musaba/Bernand type

• Like 1

I voted Bannan and it was a toss up between him and Vaulks - but just like Bannan, Vaulks hasn’t been consistent all season either, although I’m the first to admit he’s been a man mountain for us in recent weeks.

Some of my rationale in voting for Bannan was sentimental but the main reason has been for his leadership, not just on the pitch but also in terms of galvanising the players and helping instil some belief in them, as well as maintaining team spirit off it. I’m the first to admit that his best days are behind him though and that this ought to be his swan song season at S6, at least as a guaranteed first team player anyway.

I’d say Valentin is arguably our most improved player over the course of the season and I think we’ve got a real find in him. Had he shown the form at the beginning of the season that he’s showing now he’d have been on my shortlist for player of the season, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of him in an Owls shirt next season.

• Like 4

Valentin explained his form at the beginning of the season in an interview he gave. He said he said he was in a new country, having to learn to play "Danny's way" he couldn't speak the language, so couldn't communicate with his team mates and had to rely on Bambo to be his interpreter.  I think he's done well, to get round all of that, that's why he got my vote.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lyn_owl said:

Valentin explained his form at the beginning of the season in an interview he gave. He said he said he was in a new country, having to learn to play "Danny's way" he couldn't speak the language, so couldn't communicate with his team mates and had to rely on Bambo to be his interpreter.  I think he's done well, to get round all of that, that's why he got my vote.

Probably our most improved player over the season, thats why he got my vote. Although Vaulks would have been a close second 

Bannan for me, there's been other good performers recently like Vaulks and Valentin but Bannan's been at it the whole season, even when we poor in first half of season. 

Musaba and Ugbo have been excellent too at times and been match winners but there's also been some games when I thought pffft what's that all about? 

Same can be said with other players, Bernard, Diaby, Famewo, Iorfa, Johnson and others have put in some great performances but also thrown in some nightmare one's. 

The one thing that fascinates me about these sort of things, is how very differently people see things. 
I don’t think Bannan has had a stinker of a season (aside from goals tally and his set pieces), but I wouldn’t put him as POTY at all. 

Anyone who thinks Bannan hasn't made a contribution this season need to give their head a wobble.

I've gone for Vaulkes myself but come on, Bannan would walk into 75% of the Championship teams this season no problemo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

The one thing that fascinates me about these sort of things, is how very differently people see things
I don’t think Bannan has had a stinker of a season (aside from goals tally and his set pieces), but I wouldn’t put him as POTY at all. 

Absolutely;  its pretty subjective. I voted Bannan.

• Like 2

I think Beadle deserves a mention. 

19 years old. Thrown into a team at the bottom of the table. Being asked to play the ball on the floor with a back line that isn’t comfortable with the ball at their feet. He’s made a couple of mistakes. He’s had many games when he’s picked the ball out of the net multiple times. 

Despite that I think he’s been consistently decent. He’s saved us in plenty of games. He’s never shied away from anything. He’s played pretty much every game since Rohl got him. I hope we get the chance to bring him back next season. 

That said, I still haven’t decided who to vote for. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Supercockle said:

I think Beadle deserves a mention. 

19 years old. Thrown into a team at the bottom of the table. Being asked to play the ball on the floor with a back line that isn’t comfortable with the ball at their feet. He’s made a couple of mistakes. He’s had many games when he’s picked the ball out of the net multiple times. 

Despite that I think he’s been consistently decent. He’s saved us in plenty of games. He’s never shied away from anything. He’s played pretty much every game since Rohl got him. I hope we get the chance to bring him back next season. 

That said, I still haven’t decided who to vote for. 

Yes and he's improving - a real talent. If we finish the job on Saturday, and given a positive summer, I expect to see him back on a full season's loan in August. A big star in the making. 

• Like 1

Just now, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yes and he's improving - a real talent. If we finish the job on Saturday, and given a positive summer, I expect to see him back on a full season's loan in August. A big star in the making. 

I think we've already lined up a replacement haven't we @Tylluan

2 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Is Vitek a better keeper?

He's certainly more of a physical presence 

2 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I saw a Manchester  United youngster mentioned. I could well see Beadle returning but we'll  see. We'll need two new keepers as Dawson likely to move on.

Ah yes  that's  the one. 

We'll be offered first refusal on Vitek if we stay up but he'll come as first choice. If we bin Dawson then we have to decide whether to bring in a more experienced keeper who's happy to be number 2 or promote Charles. Vitek is certainly more physical than Beadle but just as agile. Where he beats Beadle is in his commanding of his area. He's a great talker/shouter and organises his defence well.

• Like 1

I’ve gone for a match winner in Musaba. When he’s at it, we are so much more of a threat.

Vaulks has been good, Valentin looks like a good championship full back, if Johnson was 25 and not 32, he’d be worth a lot of money. Beadle has been great, Ugbo looks a player.

I think that Bannan has been good, in a far more disciplined role alongside Vaulks. He’s our best footballer and we keep the ball so much better with him in the team. Goals and assists have dried up because he’s doing a lot of the work further back with control. He’s also driving a midfield press. He’s been good under Rohl.

But, he doesn’t win player of the year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok I’ll admit I voted BB but I was close to voting for Vaulks. As others have said there are plenty that have had really good spells.

My calculation was based on contribution for the whole of the season, even if he’s also been up and down as well.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

3 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Ok I’ll admit I voted BB but I was close to voting for Vaulks. As others have said there are plenty that have had really good spells.

My calculation was based on contribution for the whole of the season, even if he’s also been up and down as well.

He's also played almost every game, all . Others that have perhaps been more outstanding for periods have often only been here for half the season or lost their starting place at some stage.  Others - Musaba for example - have brought us plenty of points but also been dreadful at times. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'll get slaughtered for this, but I don't believe anyone voting for Bannan goes. I say that because out of possession he's dreadful, he doesn't mark and I've lost count of the times he passes a man onto someone else, then doesn't pick up the player he's taken on. 

Stands in between the lines, not marking anyone and generally getting in the way.

Edited by Otto_Man

32 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

I'll get slaughtered for this, but I don't believe anyone voting for Bannan goes. I say that because out of possession he's dreadful, he doesn't mark and I've lost count of the times he passes a man onto someone else, then doesn't pick up the player he's taken on. 

Stands in between the lines, not marking anyone and generally getting in the way.

I voted Bannan. I only go to home games though. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Reesh said:

The Bannan mob justifying their votes whilst the rest of us just go about our business.

But that's because you anti-Bannan lot spend the rest of the season trashing him. Sorry, "going about your business."  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Err... Can I join this fantasy? I didn't miss one away game last season, including the stupid competitions. Missed two at home, one whilst rocking out in a field and one through rejecting playing Leicester reserves.  No I don't want a prize, before the usual suspects ask, just don't want to read daft things like that. 

On 30/04/2024 at 18:04, Chelters said:

Pol V. Objectively it makes no sense but I just can’t help it, in fact I think I might have a bit of a man crush developing. 

Oh dear look what the WTID podcast guys are selling. I’m not sure I can resist

IMG_2260.thumb.png.e257f22d719ed232dbe2a5e13ca8c5b5.png

12 hours ago, Chelters said:

Oh dear look what the WTID podcast guys are selling. I’m not sure I can resist

IMG_2260.thumb.png.e257f22d719ed232dbe2a5e13ca8c5b5.png

You'll be funding the anti Chansiri movement if you buy one of these. 

• Like 1