Semi automated offsides….

The game was far from perfect in the 80's but there was none of this nonsense.  Offside didn't have phases, if you were stood in an offside position, you were offside.

If the ref gave a goal, it was a goal. If he didn't, it wasn't.

You celebrated like fuck immediately the ball hit the back of the net. Not waited 5 mins whilst red and green lines were drawn

The game is going backwards in terms of free-flowing, getting on with it play.

• Like 2

That’s a lot better than what goes on at the moment. Even if it’s just the cameras (believe they are 240fps rather than the 60fps ones used in the PL), that cuts the margin of error in 4. But any decision taken out of the hands of VAR officials improves the game. 

4 hours ago, Skamp said:

... You celebrated like fuck immediately the ball hit the back of the net. Not waited 5 mins  ...

This is the thing that infuriates me most about VAR.  A quick look at the linesman, and if the flag's not up, you celebrate (or rage, depending on who's scored).  The fact that VAR has denied (in every instance, because you never know if it's going to be disallowed) this (you'd think) critical aspect of the culture of the game without massive dissatisfaction/dissent blows my mind.  A bad call on every 50th (or whatever - the percentage is small) goal scored is, to me, far more tolerable than this intrusion into every damn one.  

And they still don't get 'em all right.  I hate VAR so, so much.  

• Like 4

I have only just watched that West Brom "penalty" incident. I mean on Saturday the ref spotted our player was outside the box by mm from 40 yards away, this chap was 5 yards away and couldn't spot the player was 3 yards outside the box.

Whilst not a fan of VAR there may be an option for a side to challenge a decision say 2 times a game for obvious fuck ups 

I appreciate there are many flaws in that though

2 hours ago, HarrySpeakup said:

I know it was L**ds but they had two blatant hand ball penalties not given

i know it was L**ds but making such deadful mistakes at the top of the table could cost a team tens of millions of pounds by not going up 

I rest my case.  

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

Whilst not a fan of VAR there may be an option for a side to challenge a decision say 2 times a game for obvious fuck ups 

I think limiting the number of challenges over the course of a season is the way to go with that, to stop it being used frivolously or for time wasting. If you were only permitted ten or so incorrect challenges then you’d have to be pretty certain that the decision was wrong. The real challenge is stopping teams just requesting more and more because it will make the game worse. 

11 hours ago, mkowl said:

I have only just watched that West Brom "penalty" incident. I mean on Saturday the ref spotted our player was outside the box by mm from 40 yards away, this chap was 5 yards away and couldn't spot the player was 3 yards outside the box.

That’s the thing, it’s supposed to deal with clear and obvious errors. But it’s used for everything. 

11 hours ago, HarrySpeakup said:

I know it was L**ds but they had two blatant hand ball penalties not given

i know it was L**ds but making such deadful mistakes at the top of the table could cost a team tens of millions of pounds by not going up 

Hopefully.

• Haha 1