Hmmmmmm.

For those who can’t see the above as you don’t do Twitter or have a adblockery thing….

Heres what it says.

Licensing officers say overcrowding ahead of a Sheffield Wednesday match was a 'near miss'. Newcastle supporters complained about the situation in the Leppings Lane end before their FA Cup match in January 2023. Better stewarding and CCTV have been recommended.

As you might expect there’s an interview on the wireless with someone from the Liverpool blah blah group saying it’s a death trap blah blah, usual stuff.

I mean I’d agree we would like to see it bulldozed and a new stand build but we aren’t in the PL with loads of money to spunk on a new stand. It should have been done when we were, but as those of us that have followed the club for some time will testify, some felt we spent more on trying to have “the Wembley of the north” than a decent football team.

And to say it’s a death trap would imho mean many other older stadia are equally death traps.

As we said at the time,  no one should be scared for the safety at a football match in this day and age but those geordie chumps need to take a look at themselves. Even the loathsome L**ds lot of always to manage to find a space on the lower Leppings and the same goes for our dirty neighbours.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Which licencing officers, seeing as independent reviews by Sheffield City Council and the Sports Ground Safety Authority cleared us and said we were well within our safety certificate obligations, and why have they taken over a year to reach that conclusion? 

Especially when all they had to go on was 3 Newcastle fans complaining in local media but only after they found out Kelly Dalglish had started screaming "not again" after reposting some grainy footage taken by a pro-Liverpool FC journalist that was covering the game. 

Incidentally I find it strange that he chose to film instead of alerting the chief steward first. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Which licencing officers, seeing as independent reviews by Sheffield City Council and the Sports Ground Safety Authority cleared us and said we were well within our safety certificate obligations, and why have they taken over a year to reach that conclusion? 

Especially when all they had to go on was 3 Newcastle fans complaining in local media but only after they found out Kelly Dalglish had started screaming "not again" after reposting some grainy footage taken by a pro-Liverpool FC journalist that was covering the game. 

Incidentally I find it strange that he chose to film instead of alerting the chief steward first. 

Reading the Star report on it, the local Councillor Mark Jones seems a fucking muppet an all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Reading the Star report on it, the local Councillor Mark Jones seems a fucking muppet an all.

What....a labour councillor funded by a union who's a member of 

GMB
Labour Party

Momentum

Bring a bit of a dick? Well I never...

Edited by Andyben

2 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

As you might expect there’s an interview on the wireless with someone from the Liverpool blah blah group saying it’s a death trap blah blah, usual stuff.

I mean I’d agree we would like to see it bulldozed and a new stand build but we aren’t in the PL with loads of money to spunk on a new stand. It should have been done when we were, but as those of us that have followed the club for some time will testify, some felt we spent more on trying to have “the Wembley of the north” than a decent football team.

And to say it’s a death trap would imho mean many other older stadia are equally death traps.

As we said at the time,  no one should be scared for the safety at a football match in this day and age but those geordie chumps need to take a look at themselves. Even the loathsome L**ds lot of always to manage to find a space on the lower Leppings and the same goes for our dirty neighbours.

Only became a death trap when those ***** stepped on it.

I will stick with my first answer from April 1989, about 24 hours post the disaster that the stand should be levelled.

I wasn't that clever then to be saying that if we don't then in 35 years time this would still be a prime topic of conversation. But that is the reality. Whilst ever there is a living monument to a disaster it will raise awareness. 

They rebuilt Kings Cross Station. Clearly if there was a fire again it would be news, but it is not the same place.

The West Stand basically is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

If the Hallam FM employee who apparently penned the above report had written down correctly what they meant there instead of paraphrasing it, allowing it to become something else with an entirely different meaning, perhaps we wouldn't be being castigated for something that isn't what happened at the time at all!  As follows:

What their awful English actually reads as: That Newcastle fans made complaints about danger in the stand before the game took place.  (From everything I heard and read at the time and later, that isn't true.)  

What they meant to say or should have said: That (about three, as someone said above) Newcastle fans made complaints about danger in the stand before the game, LONG AFTER THE GAME, WHEN INVITED TO.  

That second version is the accurate truth from the time and has an entirely and importantly different meaning to the misleading, slipshod  rubbish that has now appeared as the (Hallam F.M.) NEWS and no doubt gone down in public record, to the further public detriment of Sheffield Wednesday F. C. 

We have enough problems to deal with without media clowns making things worse.  (To add to media scum shit stirring at the time.)

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, mkowl said:

I will stick with my first answer from April 1989, about 24 hours post the disaster that the stand should be levelled.

I wasn't that clever then to be saying that if we don't then in 35 years time this would still be a prime topic of conversation. But that is the reality. Whilst ever there is a living monument to a disaster it will raise awareness. 

They rebuilt Kings Cross Station. Clearly if there was a fire again it would be news, but it is not the same place.

The West Stand basically is.

West stand is irrelevant. Hillsborough is their issue not that end. 

Utter bollocks.  A few coked up retards on an away day bender managed to block a gangway and the stewards didn’t give a shit, probably because most of them are foreign students who only took that job to help pay their tuition fees.  Happens at away games with a lot of away supports, including ours.  But it’s Hillsborough so we all know the rest.