Boxing thread

Reesh

Quite a few boxing pundits are hoping that Dubois retires Miller. I do think that Dubois is a bit of hype job who will always lose when he fights people who are even gatekeepers to world level. But Miller is a full weight idiot and a fairly shit boxer too, so I am hoping for a nasty KO.

The rest of the card is full of decent matchups. Wilder v Parker is a good test for Wilder, Joshua v Wallin will be a good test for AJ because Wallin is a horrible opponent to match up against. The Bivol and Opetaia fights should be routine wins for the two champs. Miller v Dubois will be fun while it lasts.

As for Usyk v Fury. 

Fury sees him as a threat, and uses the verbal jabs as motivation. This is actually what Fury does in the lead up to any tough fight. This means that Fury will be motivated which means he will prepare properly. On paper it is Fury’s to lose…

But, Usyk is physically, mentally and technically a monster. Every single asset that elite boxers have, he has. So, can he come up with a plan to work around Fury’s size and skill set? I said the other day that Usyk is very capable of dropping Fury, but I am not convinced that Fury can drop an elusive Usyk who also has a granite chin - but, if he puts his body on him and can manoeuvre him at his own speed, then Usyk will have a very hard night.

Regardless. It genuinely is a 50:50 fight.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Thoroughly enjoyed Joseph Parker give Wilder a lesson on how to box properly. 

Really enjoyed that night of boxing, was thrilled to see Dubois shut Miller up, that was a great finish by him.

Bivol totally outclassed Arther, showed what a top Champion he is.

The fight that really surprised me was Parker vs Wilder, Parker was simply outstanding from minute 1, had a game plan & executed it perfectly, Wilder was looking for that right hand from the moment he got in the ring, for me at 38, he's had his time, he's earnt his money, go & enjoy retirement, he doesn't want to be remembered for going onto long & losing to an absolute no body.

Joshua looked good, best I've seen him box since the 2nd Ruiz fight, Otto Walin didn't really get going or produce much, I weren't impressed with him at all, was expecting more from him considering how far he took Fury in that fight.

I can't see Joshua vs Wilder now, I can imagine Joshua will fight the winner of Fury vs Usyk or the big Croatian (can't remember his name) & also I'd imagine Zang is also in the picture.

• 1 month later...

Fury v Usyk off. The cut that Fury has got looks horrific, but, the boxing fraternity have suggested it might not go ahead for two weeks now, as Fury has been taking a pasting in sparring.

Unless Usyk fights Hrgovic, it’s also the end of the undisputed dream as the IBF were stripping winner on the 18th.

It looks like if Fury doesn’t fight before the end of May he will lose the WBC and Usyk will be given mandatory. I’ve read somewhere that it’s the 12th Tyson Fury fight that has either been postponed or he’s pulled out of.

13 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Looks like that cut Rocky gets from his corner cos he can't see out of his eye_132538712_fury1.jpg.webp.89205808fca95156bc2dd502a4294aea.webp

It's been said for last coupla months Fury would pull out - low & behold here it is.

Been reading that he's being knocked about for fun in sparring so it doesn't surprise me that this was the result & my gut tells me that we won't see Fury vs Usyk.

It's a massive shame that the demons haunting Tyson curtails his career as I think we seem to talk about is out the ring activities more than we do in the ring.....you've only got to watch the Fury Documentary on Netflix to see that when boxing is taken away from him, we won't see him around for much longer.

• 1 month later...

That’s Ngannou finished as a boxer. AJ destroyed him and I mean destroyed him.

Ngannou as soon as he took the right hand, he became a novice. Reacting to flinches, crossing arms, square on. Obliterated him.

13 hours ago, KrolMong said:

That’s Ngannou finished as a boxer. AJ destroyed him and I mean destroyed him.

Ngannou as soon as he took the right hand, he became a novice. Reacting to flinches, crossing arms, square on. Obliterated him.

Joshua absolutely nailed him, that was 1 of the cleanest shots I think I've witnessed whilst watching live, it was unreal 

Ngannou was living off the Fury fight, soon as Joshua hit him the first time & he landed on his arse you could see in his eyes he was done.

He has made an absolute fortune in these last 2 fights which has probably set him up for life, walk away now before he seriously gets hurt.

That wasn't a fight on Friday, it was an absolute example that you don't fuck about with a professional boxer who's looking to get back to what he was. Not like Fury who took it as a cash cow fight. (And by all accounts did well on that score, but not so much on the 'judges' scorecard)

14 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

That wasn't a fight on Friday, it was an absolute example that you don't fuck about with a professional boxer who's looking to get back to what he was. Not like Fury who took it as a cash cow fight. (And by all accounts did well on that score, but not so much on the 'judges' scorecard)

Tyson (apparently) got nearly £50m for a nights work against Ngannou.

Johua made £50m also.

Ngannou made £10m vs Fury & then £20m vs Joshua.

Absolutely obscene money.

• 2 weeks later...

He’s ready for a world title shot.  That was a guy it took Regis Prograis 11 rounds to get rid of.  It wasn’t even a particularly risky shot that put the guy away.  Interesting that Eddie Hearn didn’t seem particularly happy about Dalton calling out Azim.  He’s probably right.  It would be nice for him to pick up a European title, but at this stage of his career he needs to aim higher.  Azim is not ranked in the top 15 by any world title body, he’s less of a name than Zepeda on the other side of the pond.

• Like 1

Other points to consider…

With Haney, Lopez, Garcia and Prograis, there is a hell of a lot of talent in that division.  If he waits for an easy route to a world title he’ll be waiting a long time.

Dalton is 27.  That is still young enough to challenge for a world title, lose and learn from it.  Very few fighters who lose their first fight after 30 come back better.  In fact I’m struggling to think of any.

Even a close defeat against any of the four guys mentioned above would leave him making a lot more money for future fights.

He’s not remotely ready for a world title shot. He’s not fought any of the current top 15, and he’s only in the top 15 in one of the orgs. But, he will start climbing the ladder and he will step up the opposition.

It might take him 6 fights to get a mandatory position and he needs to start fighting ranked fighters.

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

He’s not remotely ready for a world title shot. He’s not fought any of the current top 15, and he’s only in the top 15 in one of the orgs. But, he will start climbing the ladder and he will step up the opposition.

It might take him 6 fights to get a mandatory position and he needs to start fighting ranked fighters.

He can only beat what Eddie puts in front of him but he looked good last night, he took a couple of rounds to take stock of Zepeda then he systematically took him apart which ended with a brutal, planned, body shot.

He’s got potential to get to the top table. But it’s a horrible division to be in. Just look at the British fighters in there, you’ve got Catterall and Taylor. And those on the top table now are not just great, but elite.

It would be good to see him in with someone like Ohara Davies or Sandor Martin next. Decent step up in class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

He’s got potential to get to the top table. But it’s a horrible division to be in. Just look at the British fighters in there, you’ve got Catterall and Taylor. And those on the top table now are not just great, but elite.

It would be good to see him in with someone like Ohara Davies or Sandor Martin next. Decent step up in class.

Yeah it is a fucking ridiculous division and commentary said the same as you, there's some elite level fighters in it, not just world class but a level above that.

Sandor Martin is a decent shout as a stepping stone to a world title.  He’s been in with world class opposition, and he’s highly ranked by the WBC.

Ohara Davies is 32 and just got knocked out by a 41 year old Venezuelan. Dalton would gain nothing by beating him, well other than more experience.  

He can’t wait forever.  He will never get a world title shot against anybody he’s a strong favourite against, the division is just too good.

Interestingly enough, Adam Azeem and Ben Shalom are doing their level best to avoid Dalton. Him and Harlem Eubank had a head to head last night and Shalom made a comment about Smith’s age and experience.

Azeem potentially is a superstar, but, the avoidance of smith at this stage is not helping his cause.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a cracker. I feared for Garcia due to his unhinged behaviour this past 5 months and the wild stuff that’s happened this fight week, and the fact that he blew the weight.

But, he was really good last night, hurt Haney multiple times. I genuinely think that the ref could have counted more knock downs, should have taken at least 2 points off Haney and had good reason to pull Haney out of there.