Boxing thread

Reesh

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

What I find interesting, and this is on the state of the fight. I don’t think either are world level, maybe just a notch under.

Benn is unproven still, his star is rising fairly quick but he’s at a weight with some absolute monsters. This drugs test fail will mark his card against those US fighters like Ennis, Spence and Crawford.

Eubank has come unstuck everytime he’s stepped up to world level against fighters who are just below world level. BJS and Groves. I still, for the life of me, don’t understand why he doesn’t want a middleweight strap. This fight going ahead is damaging for his rep.

If Ennis was the winner, would the Blades name a stand after him? 😆

Let’s see what the b-sample shows. If that is also positive, he’s in a bit of a mess as he won’t be able to fight in the US.

What a week for Eddie, missed out on a monstrous payday for Joshua, and now has to fork out for the whole Benn drug test debacle. You can bet that the Sauerlands are making Matchroom pay every refund out of there own pocket.

15 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Shields was a level above. Tactically brilliant, and just a so much better boxer, Marshall fell into every trap that Shields set.  The classic boxer versus brawler. Judges has it closer than I did, I have Marshall two rounds.

I had it 96/94 and from the bell knew how Shields would play it, how Fury didn't see the very clever but basic game plan was a bit odd.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

I had it 96/94 and from the bell knew how Shields would play it, how Fury didn't see the very clever but basic game plan was a bit odd.

I also thought that Marshall showed a lack of intelligence too. Shields invited her into the corner, and Marshall, instead of pinning her but half a step further back, got in close and negated her own reach and smothered her own work. Shields won all the close range exchanges with the faster shots and the better lateral movement.

Just now, KrolMong said:

I also thought that Marshall showed a lack of intelligence too. Shields invited her into the corner, and Marshall, instead of pinning her but half a step further back, got in close and negated her own reach and smothered her own work. Shields won all the close range exchanges with the faster shots and the better lateral movement.

Yep drew her in and picked off at will though despite how it may have seemed they didn't connect often or have the power. Shields knew going toe to toe in the centre of the ring would see her exposed so stepped back and cut her profile down boxing side on.

On 20/10/2022 at 12:06, owl4ever1867 said:

Tyson Fury vs Derek "Del Boy" Chisora confirmed for 3rd December at Tottenham Stadium.

Shouldn't be a problem for Tyson, gives Chisora a last pay day.

Hopefully Fury vs Usyk will be made for next March.....

It won't. Fury will call Usyk a shithouse/dosser/whatever is his favourite put down of the month for not signing a contract, then choose another easy payday.

• 3 weeks later...

Decent step up in class for Dalton Smith last night, and a decent performance. Smith has got some good attributes, he’s fundamentally and technically good, he looks good defensively, he’s patient, he’s also got very good timing. Above all else, he doesn’t get drawn in and fights his own fight. My only slight worry last night was his lack of power, he was a little gun shy and he switches off with his lateral movement and gets caught with straight shots.

Good performance and a good win. He’s progressing nicely.

I only caught the last 3 rounds of the Dalton Smith fight, but from what I saw the above assessment sounds fair.  His footwork, balance and timing are all really good.  Maybe once or twice he stood admiring his own work and got caught with counters.  This is just what happens when fighters step up a little in class.  They land with shots that they expect to hurt their opponent, but the guy just rolls with the punch better than previous opponents and comes back with something.  Useful learning fight and another good, and fairly clear, win.  The boxrec computer rankings now have him 36th in the world at Light Welter.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched last night. It went entirely as I expected. One way traffic, Chisora never in it. Stupid bout that was never ever going to be a contest. 

Then all that shit after with Usyk. Just showed how much of a fraud it all is with  Fury re the contract stuff. 

Screams in Usyk’s face calling him a ‘rabbit’ and he doesn’t respond. But then when the mic goes away, he Joe Joyce (who Fury also called out then praised) and Usyk all have a fucking selfie on Usyk’s phone smiling!?

Just fuck off. It’s not the bastard WWE… or it shouldn’t be. 

Considering Usyk found a booby trap left by the Russians in a tree in his garden, a couple of months ago, it’s not surprising he’s not taking Fury’s theatrics that seriously.

Fury Chisora 3, exactly as expected.  Not a fight worth ppv, as far as I’m concerned.  Obviously it still pulled a crowd.

Sooner or later the guys with the belts will either fight each other, or fight an interesting up and coming fighter (Joyce, Mahmadov, Sanchez), or attend to unfinished business (Fury v AJ), or retire for good.  Followed boxing for a long time, and seen all this crap many times before.

On 03/12/2022 at 21:24, Skamp said:

Just me watching tonight?

Just watched it while ironing.

Cynical me saw a well paid open sparring session for Fury and Pension Fund for Chisora.

Machavellian me saw Fury sticking in second gear to try and sucker  Usyk into thinking he'd have a chance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That’s Eubank’s career over. All week I thought that he was tailor made for Smith, he likes to fight off the back foot and in flashes and he backs up and Smith loves to put his head in your chest and push you back. The fire came from Smith even though Eubank was boxing well but Smith was missing by centimeters when he trapped him.

Eubank has showed to me that he’s no more than European level at best, I’ve never been convinced that Smith is world level, but he’s closer now than he’s ever been.

19 hours ago, KrolMong said:

That’s Eubank’s career over. All week I thought that he was tailor made for Smith, he likes to fight off the back foot and in flashes and he backs up and Smith loves to put his head in your chest and push you back. The fire came from Smith even though Eubank was boxing well but Smith was missing by centimeters when he trapped him.

Eubank has showed to me that he’s no more than European level at best, I’ve never been convinced that Smith is world level, but he’s closer now than he’s ever been.

I thought he looked disinterested and undercooked from the first bell, he seemed to believe his own hype of not needing to be at his best to see Smith off.

His interview post fight is embarrassing 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dominant display from Dalton against a very awkward and durable opponent. But, I’ll make the same point as I did previously. I’m not convinced he’s heavy handed enough as he goes up the levels, and faces more elusive opponents. But, he’s progressing nicely. One thing I do like about him is that he has devil inside him, but he’s got to be careful that it doesn’t cost him points in fights.

On the main event, what a shot from Lara to win the fight. That left hook came from the hips. I think Wood might be binning Davison off though for throwing the towel with 12 seconds left in the round. 

• 1 month later...

Although I detest the rhetoric coming out of Fury's training camp I do think there's some truth in the accusation that Usyk, or his handlers, have bottled it

They've seen Fury is fully fit, when they weren't expecting him to be, and have thought fuck that. So he'll be off to Saudi to fight Hrgovic, the mandatory IBF contender. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2023 at 15:05, owl4ever1867 said:

Anthony Joshua fighting on 1st April against Jermaine Franklin.

Fury vs Usyk fight is off apparently due to talks collapsing.

I think Joshua could have fucked this one up, he's gone massive to try and knock him out, but Franklin is no mug and if he takes it to the later rounds I think he'll beat him...unless they just cheat him on the points again

16 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I think Joshua could have fucked this one up, he's gone massive to try and knock him out, but Franklin is no mug and if he takes it to the later rounds I think he'll beat him...unless they just cheat him on the points again

Looking forward to watching it later Otto, like you say Franklin is no mug, I find it very interesting that AJ has insisted on a rematch clause in the contract.....

2 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Good nights work for AJ, looked confident in parts, Franklin took some serious hits and still didn't go down.

Shame about the end with the Franklin coaching staff having to get involved.

He was fucking and an embarrassing **** at the end.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That was very very good from Smith. Boxed to a plan and waited for Maxwell to extend with the left jab and kept throwing the right where the left should have been.

He’s needed a stoppage, and his timing was spot on tonight, he timed everything Maxwell through, and looked heavy handed.

Very good performance, especially with the two cuts.

• 3 weeks later...