Boxing thread

Reesh

7 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Surely in the top 5 heavyweights of all time? 

I suppose you've got to weigh up who his contenders were and would he beat the likes of Lewis, Tyson, Holmes, Spinks Holyfield, in their prime. 

Whyte's shot came 3, maybe 5, years too late but that's down to constant dodging by the belt holders management being too wary to let their boxer take him on

Edited by Tylluan

51 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Lennox Lewis in his prime may have had a chance against him, and Also Tyson but there's not many who could get anywhere near him.

Lewis would have been a very very good fight from a technical standpoint, both are superb boxers. 

I had Fury to win by a wide points decision.  It looked like he was happy enough to settle for that, but the opportunity to land a big shot just presented itself and he took it.

It’s no real surprise that Fury announced his retirement. The most interesting fight out there would be Usyk, and he’s otherwise engaged fighting in a war.  That would provide more clarity about where Fury stands in the all time lists.  The one thing he doesn’t really have on his CV is smaller, elusive opponents with fast hands (apart from an over the hill Steve Cunningham, early on in his career, and Fury had to get off his arse to win).  The heavyweight top 10-15 is full of big, brave, mostly durable, guys with big punches, and very ordinary defences.  They’re all made for Fury.  

• 3 months later...
On 23/08/2022 at 18:47, Skamp said:

Fury stating that he'll only fight 'some unknown foreigners' ( Usyk) for half a billion pounds. Yup that's right, half a billion. 

He'll get it imo, Floyd Mayweather was paid £400m to face Pacquiao.

He's testing the water, see if anybody is stupid enough to pay him the kind of money he wants, like he says, he's happily retired he doesn't need the money but I guess if you can look after your family's future for 2/3 generations then he'll be a happy man.

You get the fight in Saudi Arabia, Qatar then it's on as they will pay for the fight to be held. 

Edited by owl4ever1867

• 3 weeks later...

I have a lot of admiration for Joshua and Usyk in comparison to Fury and Wilder.

There are simply too many tin cans on the resume of Wilder and Fury outside of the fights against each other. Joshua and Usyk have taken riskier fights and have better resumes.

But, the reality for Joshua at least, is that he’s going to get beaten by Fury. Fury has been smart by pushing for a fight so soon after the defeat to Usyk.

It’s great for the British public, but, and Joshua has a chance simply due to the power he holds, but, even at this stage, I can see a stoppage for Fury. If Joshua gets stopped by Fury, that’s it.

I’m not a fan of Fury from a personal standpoint, he’s absolutely full of shit and I’d love someone to spark him. But it won’t happen.

Fury simply being the bellend that he consistently is. His own promoter has basically said that a lot of the stuff has been agreed and that both promotion teams are meeting tomorrow to cross t’s and dot i’s. The only challenge is how they work the TV deal out, but, a lot of those discussions are done. 

People are saying that the December the 3rd date is too soon. Trust me when I say this, both have been in camp for two weeks.

Unrelated note, anyone watch Joyce v Parker?

Ive seen Joyce spar at the EIS for Team GB. He’s actually limited as a boxer but he’s easily the most awkward, the fittest and with the hardest chin, you just won’t stop him coming forward. 

The downside is that time is against him, he’s an old man, so for him to win a world title, he’s pretty much got about 2 years to do it, get a couple of money making defences as the A-side and then get out.

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Yeah was a good fight, Parker looked old in there though

I thought he started well, but, couldn’t keep Joyce off. Him targeting the body was the right thing, but it didn’t slow Joyce’s feet or even had him tucking his elbows.

He’s 7 years younger than Joyce but has a lot more miles on the clock. He caught Joyce with his best shots and Joyce didn’t flinch, it didn’t even slow him down.

As soon as it passes 4 rounds, it was a matter of when would Joyce get to him.

11 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I thought he started well, but, couldn’t keep Joyce off. Him targeting the body was the right thing, but it didn’t slow Joyce’s feet or even had him tucking his elbows.

He’s 7 years younger than Joyce but has a lot more miles on the clock. He caught Joyce with his best shots and Joyce didn’t flinch, it didn’t even slow him down.

As soon as it passes 4 rounds, it was a matter of when would Joyce get to him.

I didn't expect Joyce to knock him out though, he is such a durable boxer so it was tough to see him dropped like that 

On 24/09/2022 at 22:55, owl4ever1867 said:

Fury will fight Charr in Cardiff on December 4th.

Mahmoud Charr?  Didn’t realise he was still active.  A 37 year old who, at his peak, got knocked out by a Cruiserweight who weighed in 30 pounds lighter.  He’s not even ranked by the WBC as far as I can see.  Fury will look silly if he keeps putting all this rubbish on the internet and then fights a guy of that standard.

What has become quite apparent us that he’s not aligned with his promoters. And what’s perhaps become more apparent is that perhaps he didn’t want it anyway. The facts stated by both Hearn and Warren is that the the contract was supplied 9 days ago and there were issues in how the contract was written which had to be resolved.

There was no issues in the terms of the contract but the TV deal had to be worked out.

I am very certain that Fury does go through with pulling out, Warren will be ripping him to pieces. Fury has potentially gone from an 8 figure payday to a 7.

Ive always maintained that Fury is a bit thick. Brilliant boxer, but an awful businessman. Oh, and full of shit.

1 hour ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Connor Benn has failed a drug test through VADA testing, still hoping the fight goes ahead as both fighters still want to fight... 

This is a right shit storm now.

Supposedly it was known two weeks back but BBBoC were only informed yesterday.

Benn has claimed he spoke to Eubank today which Eubank has flatly denied.

The BBBoC have rightly refused to sanction the fight. Hearn is scrambling round trying to resolve this to get the fight on.

If I am Eubank, and i want the fight. I want 100% of the fight purse regardless of result, and I want that hydration clause removing.

This could end up being a horrific week for Eddie after the fall through of the Joshua fight and this.

• Like 1

By the sounds of it, they are trying to get the Luxemburg boxing council to give them the go ahead so that the fight can still proceed.

According to reports, the drug test that Benn failed was last week and was known back then by all parties, since his postive drug test via VADA, Benn has since tested negative in tests conducted by UKAD, which is officially endorsed by the British Boxing Board of Control.

What I find interesting, and this is on the state of the fight. I don’t think either are world level, maybe just a notch under.

Benn is unproven still, his star is rising fairly quick but he’s at a weight with some absolute monsters. This drugs test fail will mark his card against those US fighters like Ennis, Spence and Crawford.

Eubank has come unstuck everytime he’s stepped up to world level against fighters who are just below world level. BJS and Groves. I still, for the life of me, don’t understand why he doesn’t want a middleweight strap. This fight going ahead is damaging for his rep.