Boxing thread

Reesh

Brilliant display from Crawford who was completely emotionless, horribly vicious and technically perfect. I did have Crawford to win, and actually fairly comfortably after a slow first three rounds, but he figured Spence out inside 4 minutes and beat him up from then on until the stoppage.

To put it into context with Dalton Smith. That’s how good you have to be to sit at the top table. I watched the Inoue fight on Tuesday and that was equally impressive.

Crawford, Inoue and Usyk sit comfortably at the top of the pile and there is quite a gap to those below.

16 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Brilliant display from Crawford who was completely emotionless, horribly vicious and technically perfect. I did have Crawford to win, and actually fairly comfortably after a slow first three rounds, but he figured Spence out inside 4 minutes and beat him up from then on until the stoppage.

To put it into context with Dalton Smith. That’s how good you have to be to sit at the top table. I watched the Inoue fight on Tuesday and that was equally impressive.

Crawford, Inoue and Usyk sit comfortably at the top of the pile and there is quite a gap to those below.

Terence Crawford is 35 though James, you can't compare Dalton to him with, there's a 25 fight professional record difference and 9 plus years in age.

Well, that's fucked that then.....

Whyte has failed a drug test & the fight is cancelled - Eddie Hearn & Matchroom now running round like idiots trying to get AJ a fight at short notice! 

I believe that's Whytes 3rd failed drug test in his career - he needs permanently banning from the sport!

On 07/08/2023 at 17:45, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I’d not be so quick to jump to conclusions. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if this has been manipulated for whatever reason 

I'm with you on this one. 

Joshua could have still taken the Whyte fight almost as a no lose catch-weight. If he wins then he's beaten an enhanced drugs cheat. If he loses then it doesn't count on his record due to Whyte's failed test. 

People have paid to see Joshua Vs Whyte not Joshua vs a semi prepared 39 year old Finn who last held a title in 2016. 

But if Helenius comes out flying and Joshua gets the jitters then it could ruin any chances of a fight with Wilder

It wasn’t a great watch. I’ve had enough of Chisora being wheeled out, shipping right hands and sneaking a win. Every fight he has, he looks worse and worse.

Hrgovic looked awful against a very limited fighter. I don’t see the hype, and his only step up in class was against Zhang, who I thought beat him.

The main event was not a great spectacle although it was a good knock out. I’ll give Joshua a bit of credit in that his preparation for Whyte would have been very different to what it would have been for Helenius, and he coasted through the fight with minimum fuss. But, he still looks horribly gun shy and worried that if he falls short with the right hand he’s going to get caught.

It does mean we will get Wilder v Joshua, which will be a decent scrap while it lasts. Both are on the career downslope but both have one punch KO power.

Edited by KrolMong

9 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Heard him on talk sport a few weeks back, speaks really well. Will have to watch it back, seen post match interviews and didn’t notice any major damage to either fighter though. Was it a warranted stoppage? 

They covered the cut well after the fight but it was on the forehead above the eye,  it was pouring and Baluta kept opening it up, it was a factor why Baluta won the last 2 full rounds.

On 27/08/2023 at 05:43, owl71 said:

Every part of Dubois’ glove was below the belt line.  Frank’s talking bollox.  Yes nearly a brilliant body shot, but six inches too low.  Good fight though.

1000% agree. He’d strayed low a couple of times, but that was blatant. He’s clipped the cup with the shot.

Usyk old manned the whole scenario as well, and Dubois didn’t come out and have a go after the break. After that, Usyk took him apart and that lack of heart has let down Dubois again.

Warren is upset because it was the only chance he had of unifying the belts. You can get your ass that Fury would be fighting in Feb if Dubois was the opponent. Instead, Fury will get stripped in March.

Eubank pretty much battered him. I think there was a case to pull Smith out early, given how much he was taking.

@owl71, I felt the same way, Smith has better fundamentals, and thought he would get him IF Eubank wasn’t able to establish his jab. Eubank did establish his jab and Smith took a bit of a pasting.

Eubank has GOT to start having a go at the top table at middleweight and NOT fight Conor Benn. 

• 3 weeks later...

Joyce is not the top table fighter anyone thought he was. If your prime skills set is your ability to walk through shots, that ability diminishes as you get older and you step up in class. He also proved he didn’t know how to fight a southpaw in the first Zhang fight and the only adjustment he made in the second fight was to put weight on and circle away from the left hand.

Zhang worked out very quickly (after about 240 seconds), they Joyce was going to be even easier work and bashed him up and stop him. I find it terrifying that Joyce thinks he can carry on. That was a 40 year old who is not renowned for his KO power who did him, it’s a a similar story from the other top 10 who would do more damage.

On an unrelated note. Watched Canelo and the smaller Charlo last night… went the same way as I thought, Canelo multiple levels up, in first gear and Charlo taking a pasting and only there for a payday.

It’s not been a great couple of months for Derrick James as one Charlo won’t fight, the other Charlo has been taken apart, Errol Spence was pretty much humiliated by Terrence Crawford and Anthony Joshua’s payday against Wilder has collapsed because Frank Warren has had Hearns pants down when negotiating with the Saudis.

It will all disappear soon. There’s only four ‘marketable’ fighters in the two Pauls, KSI and Fury. And it’s finally been proven that they aren’t anywhere near domestic level given that Tommy Fury is number one (and he’s British level at best).

They can’t fight each other forever. And given the shambles of last night and the global condemnation even from other YouTubers, they’ll finally disappear.

1 hour ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Really? It wasn't long ago he stepped up and fought the very dangerous Bivol, got done mind. Also he's world champion at 4 weights so not sure that stands up really

He'll get a rematch probably 

Never fights outside of Mexico or heavy Mexican populated southern States of the US, gets decisions he shouldn't like GGG and is a drugs cheat. Another sport Nev knows nowt on 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Canelo sits just below the elite list. You can’t knock what he’s achieved in boxing and he’s fought a lot of very good fighters in their prime. But, he’s got the horrific decision against GGG on his record, he got schooled by Floyd, and Bivol took him apart. There’s massive money for him if he fights Benavidez or Munguía. And he can try and get Bivol again or even Beterbiev.

The reality is that there isn’t much down the weights for him, so he’s going to need ti campaign and Middle, Super Middle and Light Heavy.

12 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Fucking terrible decision 

At best, Fury got a draw. And that’s at best if you give him the close rounds.

Fury looked a bum in there tonight, the footwork wasn’t there, the head movement and feints, he didn’t even try and box at range until about round 7. Ngannou was limited, but very strong, he followed Fury round like a mummy.

I imagine that Usyk and Zhang might be licking their lips at that version of Fury. If he fought either of them in that condition Zhang would have stopped him, and Usyk would have had a 12 round shut out.

11 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I imagine that Usyk and Zhang might be licking their lips at that version of Fury. If he fought either of them in that condition Zhang would have stopped him, and Usyk would have had a 12 round shut out.

Cycical me thinks perhaps that's the point. 

Neither would get anywhere near a focused Fury....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KrolMong said:

That 23rd of December fight card is pretty special. A load of top 10 heavies fighting each other.

And we have officially got the big one, Fury v Usyk on the 17th of Feb. Signed and sealed.

The press conferences yesterday for the respective nights of boxing were amusing. 

Jarrell Miller being Jarrell Miller aka an abnoxious sod, and Fury being Fury. Amusing.