Stadium clocks….

It’s amusing all this chat in the media about the added time.

On the way home on Friday, listening to Talksport they were chuntering about there being so much stoppage time. It’s now not fair on players, expecting them to play longer and, it’s not fair on the commentators too, to expect them to work longer. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Could see a few final day games going past 20 mins as teams employ a bit of shithousery to extend their game to try and find out the final score of promotion/relegation rivals. 

That wouldn’t be a surprise. But highlights how how stupid things could be

Our game Friday had the ball in play over 69 minutes. Only one game in the Championship had over 66 mins the previous season. 

Football is a 90 minute game but never a game where it was expected the ball in play for 90 minutes. There would always be natural gaps in play so effective playing time is less. And guess what it worked quite well. 

The issue is that the gaps became contrived not natural so you have to address it. But it needs independent timekeepers as a starter

So…

11 hours ago, Skamp said:

it’s got worse in terms of the time the ball is in play. So, rather than add time on, then is time wasting better stopped by punishing the obvious delays in play?

While I was annoyed at the number of what seemed like frivolous yellow cards in the community shield yesterday, I suppose those small kicks away of the ball, and not blatantly booting it away all  still add up.

19 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Man United centre back and World Cup winner Raphael Varane has had his say on things via social media….

IMG_4061.thumb.jpeg.0996f3add57cc33a87992db3aa8dee37.jpeg

Every PL team threatens to down tools over the opening weekend and normal service will be resumed by Friday lunchtime. 

Don't even have to fully refuse to play. Just threaten to play the kids

Edited by Tylluan

Away fans at some games are the ones that will suffer. If your train back is at 5.30 or 5.46 for example you need to game over as quickly as possible.

Some night games could mean either missing the last train back or the last 10 minutes of a game.

Then score an 89th minute 'winner' and then see 14 minutes going up.

If it stops the cheating then I'm all for it. Commentators make it worse when they call it gamesmanship. it's far from that. Few weeks in and if Refs stick to it then the play acting will stop.

Would be better if retrospective action on diving was introduced too.

Gareth Ainsworth's time in management looks doomed or his games will be going into the next day 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ozzie said:

If it stops the cheating then I'm all for it. Commentators make it worse when they call it gamesmanship. it's far from that. Few weeks in and if Refs stick to it then the play acting will stop.

Would be better if retrospective action on diving was introduced too.

Gareth Ainsworth's time in management looks doomed or his games will be going into the next day 

I absolutely agree with that.  Often if a disease is deep rooted, the medicine has to be unpleasant and long lasting.  

I especially agree regarding commentators, (or perhaps more likely pundits.)  I really  remember wanting to puke some time ago when one (Ian Wright I think it was) angrilly responded to someone's opinion with, "He touched him, he's entitled to go down!"    

I seriously hate seeing on MOTD where a forward sprints to a ball in the box and, instead of shooting or passing it, all he wants to do is stick his leg right across behind the ball: so that the defender, who is already into the simple act of kicking the ball clear, kicks his foot / leg instead.   Similarly, when both are pursuing the ball into the box at speed, when the forward gets the ball and suddenly stops dead. The sprinting defender, having no warning, has no chance to stop in time.  In both cases the attacker has preferred the engineered foul, the penalty, the possible red card, to the possibility of scoring a goal.  And the refs have just gone along with it.   I don't want to watch that sickening cynicism. That is no part of the exciting game that first enthralled me. That's cheating and, if it isn't, it should be.  

Edited by Owling_Wolf

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Interesting comment Fred, I know what you mean. The clearance/already in motion of kicking 'foul' is one which has annoyed me for a while. IMO, It's the striker/player closing down who's the offender, rather than the person clearing the ball. 

Plenty of times, Tee.  

41 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Stop the clock as soon as ref stops play, except when ball goes out of play, is probably best way forward.

No more injury time.

Maybe like Rugby, click stops at 90 with claxkn, match ends next time ball goes out.

And if a player takes the piss with a re-start, the ref stops the clock and also the opposition get the throw in/ free kick. 

The entertaining one would be on a goal kick and the opposition getting the ball on the 6 yard line. I suspect that is flawed in terms of speeding up the game 

In rugby league the game continues when a player is injured.

The player gets treatment straight away and no momentum in the game is lost. Obviously if the injury is a serious one the ref will stop the game, but even in rugby league those instances are few and far between.

Why we don’t have that rule in football is beyond me. It would stop the play acting and time wasting immediately, as there’d be nothing to gain from it.

Both codes of rugby as well as hockey have stricter 'laws' regarding player conduct so there's a much better/stronger uniformity across officiating. 

The problem with football is the laws haven't kept up with the skulduggery of players and coaches. This leads to FIFA's interpretations and more ambiguity amongst officials. Instead of tightening up and simplifying the rules they introduce technology that can't be filtered down throughout the game. 

Don't know fully about rugby's current rules but in hockey law 9, player conduct, is two pages long and explicitly lays out what a player cannot do. It makes it so simple for the officials and means no comeback from the coaches as there is no ambiguity and no interpretation involved. There's also a code of integrity that all players, coaches, and officials have to sign. Break that and your season disappears. There's no hearing, no appeal, just a panel that points out which part you broke.