The Ashes 2023.

owl4ever1867

Just now, Skamp said:

He'd warmed Root up the ball before and I know very little about cricket players and tactics.

Our sheer inability to use the conditions that were perfectly in our favour was beyond embarrassing, the Aussies have shown us how to play test cricket.

We've no pace in our bowling attack, Starc & Cummins have ripped us to threads, they've played the pitch to perfection.

The batters look shot on confidence.

England require a further 257 runs to win with 6 wickets in hand....

That's the problem right there. The runs needed. England will still stupidly back themselves and go after that total from the off and be all out by 2pm, instead of covering up til at least lunch and frustrating the hell out of the bowlers so that they start to make mistakes or tire themselves out by mid afternoon. 

• Like 1

Khawaja, Smith are superb at frustrating our bowlers.

The huge difference between the sides is that the Aussies can bat till 10, only exception being Hazelwood.

They get rid of Dunkett, Stokes & Bairstow early, they'll rip through our tail, the 1 thing we've struggled to do.

1 minute ago, owl4ever1867 said:

194/6

Bairstow run out for 10.

Stokes 63no

England still require a further 177 runs with 4 wickets remaining.

Sounds like the Bairstow run out was very controversial.

Not seen it, so cant comment but sounds like Bairstow is livid with the decision.

It wasn’t the decision, it was the fact that Cummings didn’t withdraw his appeal.  Lords is just about the politest sporting venue I’ve ever been to, and it’s very raucous after that incident.  God knows what Headingley will be like next week.

Good luck with trying to improve over rates if batsmen have got to prat around making absolutely sure the ball’s dead until they walk down the pitch to talk to their batting partner.

11 minutes ago, owl71 said:

It wasn’t the decision, it was the fact that Cummings didn’t withdraw his appeal.  Lords is just about the politest sporting venue I’ve ever been to, and it’s very raucous after that incident.  God knows what Headingley will be like next week.

Good luck with trying to improve over rates if batsmen have got to prat around making absolutely sure the ball’s dead until they walk down the pitch to talk to their batting partner.

Aussies should be ashamed, 

Smith was the same with that "catch" that got Root out.

England have made 3 changes to the team that lost the 2nd ashes test match to Australia.

In come :

Mark Wood

Moeen Ali

Chris Woakes

The players they are replacing are

Josh Tongue (rested)

Jimmy Anderson (rested)

Ollie Pope (Ruled out for the rest of the series due to a shoulder injury)

Due to Pope being sidelined, Harry Brook will bat at No3 with Ali & Woakes helping out in the middle order.

Team to face Australia at Headingley :

England team: Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Harry Brook, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson.

Are you going O4E? We've got tickets for days 4 & 5.

Bit worried about that team selection, not convinced that Brook is a number 3, wouldn't have liked Dan Lawrence in either, thought there could've been a recall for Malan to cover Pope's absence.

Disappointed for Tongue too, only bowler at Lords looked like getting any penetration, just replaced him with another medium pace bowler mainly for his batting, plus I'd be amazed if Mo's finger lasts the first innings never mind both.

Anyway, still can't wait for it to start.

5 hours ago, Fat Eric said:

Are you going O4E? We've got tickets for days 4 & 5.

Bit worried about that team selection, not convinced that Brook is a number 3, wouldn't have liked Dan Lawrence in either, thought there could've been a recall for Malan to cover Pope's absence.

Disappointed for Tongue too, only bowler at Lords looked like getting any penetration, just replaced him with another medium pace bowler mainly for his batting, plus I'd be amazed if Mo's finger lasts the first innings never mind both.

Anyway, still can't wait for it to start.

I bloody wish I was going, I'm currently visiting family in Wycombe at the moment & a day out is planned to Oxford tomorrow (well later today)

I agree with you, harsh on Tongue I was impressed with him, was right to drop Jimmy, think at 41 time is catching up with him.

Personally Ali wouldn't be in the squad, nevermind playing, would've looked at other spinning options that we have throughout County Cricket.

Malan has been in fine nick for Yorkshire but I can more or less guarantee he'll be involved in the limited overs format.

I hope you have a fantastic time buddy & manage to get 5 full days of intense drama!

Marsh has made England pay dearly after a superb century.

He was eventually out just prior to tea for 118, bowled Woakes caught Crawley.

After tea, England have struck twice in quick succession, firstly removing Head for 39, bowled Woakes caught Root, followed by Starc going for 2 bowled Wood.

Australia 249/7