The Ashes 2023.

owl4ever1867

Just now, Southy_SWFC said:

I haven't been following like I used to, mainly because there's no coverage of it in the US. How're England looking these days? Any chance of winning the Ashes? 

Personally think we've got a fantastic chance of winning the Ashes, England have been playing some pretty decent cricket to date but as we know, The Ashes can throw up any kind of result.

3 hours ago, Southy_SWFC said:

I haven't been following like I used to, mainly because there's no coverage of it in the US. How're England looking these days? Any chance of winning the Ashes? 

We've every chance,  Aussies not won over here in a series since 2001.

• Like 1

I think the Aussies will go attritional and grind it out, especially if England win the first test. The two sides differing styles on recent tours of Pakistan might give an indication. 

A lot of pundits, both ours and theirs, surprised not to see Wood included. 

Personally I'm surprised we called up a retired Moeen Ali.

Surely there's some spinning options out there for England instead of having to call up a 35 year old.

Just looking around I've found a few

Dom Bess - Yorkshire 

Liam Patterson-White - Nottinghamshire 

Jack Carson - Sussex 

Amar Virdi - Surrey

Daniel Moriarty - Surrey

Callum Parkinson - Leicestershire

Danny Briggs - Warwickshire

Matt Critchley - Essex

If we'd got a wicket or 2 in that little period no one would be mentioning 450. 

11 wins from 13 earns the captain and coach latitude with the choices they make to go for wins.

A couple of observations...

1) Our attacking mindset doesn't change whoever is the opposition, a very good Aussie attack got took for 5 an over and were running out of ideas, they got two very fortunate wickets too.

2) Our lack of world class spinner may be a factor on the series.

3) Australia have a large amount of players that are absolute wanksocks

Not a fan of the early declaration as I don't see what we've gained. Would rather have an extra 30 or 40 runs for them to chase as I think it's a series that will come down to fine margins. Not really the conditions for our bowlers at the moment so would have liked to have see us pile a few more runs on.

However, I've spent a lifetime watching football and cricket on the whole with safety first managers so it's refreshing to see us go for it and stick two fingers up at the opposition

• Like 1

End of day 2 

Australia 311/5

Broad bowled Khawaja beautifully but it was ruled to be a no ball! He's since gone onto make 126no, he was well well backed by Carey 52no.

There were chances for England but crucially they missed those chances.

Onto day 3 & hopefully England can get an early wicket or 3 & put the pressure back on Australia.

England reached 24/0 before rain intervened, they came out for 20 minutes - in that time Australia have taken 2 vital wickets to leave England reeling on 28/2 - both openers have gone

Crawley 7

Duckett 19

at the crease is Root & Pope but we have torrential rain which means that could be the end of day 3.

England lead by 35 runs with 8 wickets remaining.

End of day 4.

Australia 107/3

Broad strikes twice to remove Labuschagne & Smith with Robinson getting thr vital wicket of Warner.

Dangerman Khawaja is still at the crease alongside nightwatchman Boland.

Onto Day 5 & England require a further 7 wickets to wrap up victory & go 1-0 up the Ashes.

Australia require a further 174 runs to win.