Promotion 1979/80

We lost our penultimate game at Exeter but Chesterfield lost as well so we were promoted

We drew our last match 0-0 with Carlisle with 32,734 there and it's the only time I've ever been on the pitch

My mate took a few pics at the game

For those that know me they might be surprised to know that that is me on the left. The dried blood spots on my scarf are from getting a brick on my head at that Exeter game that needed 3 stitches later at Torquay hospital. How cool are Wednesday wrist bands?

Leppings Lane.jpg

Pre match - my hand in centre.jpg

Me and Neil on the pitch.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Our group usually went on the Kop but given the fences we decided to go for the South Stand option to make getting on the pitch easier. Slight problem being we were thick and went through the turnstile for the upper section.

So our pitch invasion took about 5 minutes to sort. Well apart from the one who decided to jump down to the lower section, hanging off the TV cables, twisting his ankle in the process.

I love that tank top: that is absolute period quality.  Catching a brick with your head is one of those things that was definitely not better in "the old days".  

I still have my Wednesday wristbands. They went with me when I emigrated in 1978 & were worn when playing Squash and Badminton for several years in the Middle East and later back home.  Still got 'em. One of them still gives service: it slots onto a downstairs door handle every night to try and prevent me accidentally setting off the burglar alarm next morning when I'm still half asleep.  Not bad value, that: still in use 45 years later!  

8 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I love that tank top: that is absolute period quality.  Catching a brick with your head is one of those things that was definitely not better in "the old days".  

I still have my Wednesday wristbands. They went with me when I emigrated in 1978 & were worn when playing Squash and Badminton for several years in the Middle East and later back home.  Still got 'em. One of them still gives service: it slots onto a downstairs door handle every night to try and prevent me accidentally setting off the burglar alarm next morning when I'm still half asleep.  Not bad value, that: still in use 45 years later!  

Wednesdayism is enviromentalism 

10 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Our group usually went on the Kop but given the fences we decided to go for the South Stand option to make getting on the pitch easier. Slight problem being we were thick and went through the turnstile for the upper section.

So our pitch invasion took about 5 minutes to sort. Well apart from the one who decided to jump down to the lower section, hanging off the TV cables, twisting his ankle in the process.

The fences Didn’t stop some youths on the Kop from invading the pitch, I wasn’t one of them because my Grandad and Uncle made it clear to a 13 year old me that a) pitch invasions were tinpot (after all it was promotion from the 3rd division!) and b) they weren’t going to wait for me if I did go on the pitch 🙄

9 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

The fences Didn’t stop some youths on the Kop from invading the pitch, I wasn’t one of them because my Grandad and Uncle made it clear to a 13 year old me that a) pitch invasions were tinpot (after all it was promotion from the 3rd division!) and b) they weren’t going to wait for me if I did go on the pitch 🙄

It would have for a fat lad like me

• Haha 1