The 2023/24 season starts here thread

Celebrations will continue I am sure, but the reality of the Championship starting in about 10 weeks looms large.

The fixture list of Leeds and Leicester looks a bit more daunting than Leyton Orient and Carlisle but equally the quality in that league was not great.

The reality is that this squad would struggle and the next few days will be interesting to see the retained list. Palmer noting he has a contract - he does deserve it really. 

Some key positions that need replacing or more strength in depth for sure.

Moore deserves his chance and his approach may help with recruitment. He will need to brush up on tactics though. 

Yes Moore deserves his chance no question.  I have doubts always have about him tactically but players seem to want to play for him.

Out of yesterday's squad not many should be in the starting 11 next season. Harsh but can Moore be ruthless enough. I think we need at least 6 new players who can come straight in to starting eleven.

Vardy would be a good start😁😉

Mads Andersen has 12 months left on his Dingles contract. He’d be top of my shopping list for next season. Although whether we could afford him (or if he’d come or want to come given yesterday and the uproar it might cause) is a different matter.

Of existing players out of contract I’d like to see Windass offered a new deal and Iorfa has just about earned one with his end of season form. Byers has an option on his contract and if it hasn’t been extended already I’d take a punt on him. Palmer we know is staying.

The rest? I think I’d say thanks and goodbye. Gregory is a tough one but he’s not getting any younger and I just don’t think the others are consistent enough. Marvin Johnson might struggle at Championship level and he didn’t get much change out of Williams yesterday. I’m on the fence with him as I have enjoyed watching him this season. 

Who to bring in? Well apart from Mads Andersen, I’d like to see a new first choice goalkeeper, a right and left back, a couple of midfielders (maybe more to give us strength in depth) and some new attacking options. I like Smith but we don’t play to his strengths, so whether or not we should cash in on him if a club comes in for him? Again, I’m a bit on the fence with him.

Squad needs a big overhaul for the Championship though and I think we all know that. I’d like us to try and build for the long term and get some players in who have age on their side. Also look at changing/investing in the non-first team set up at the club as well, along the lines of what Ty has posted on here, as what we have now isn’t really contributing towards players getting first team opportunities.

We can’t continue to/rely on bringing in players as a short term fix, or who are after one last pay day either. If we are to progress as a club we have to adopt a different mindset and have some sort of plan as to where we want to be and how we are going to get there. I’d happily take a couple of seasons where we concentrate on nothing more than establishing ourselves in the Championship and putting down some real foundations for us to build on. If Luton and Coventry can challenge for a place at the top table then there’s no reason why Sheffield Wednesday shouldn’t aspire to be able to do so either, but I don’t want to see us do it by recklessly throwing money at it (not that we have it) and gambling unnecessarily. We’ve done that and all of us know how it ended. 

Just some very initial thoughts - not really thought about it in detail re actual named players to possibly look at or bring in, apart from Mads Andersen who I’ve been a big fan of this season. 

40 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Mads Andersen has 12 months left on his Dingles contract. He’d be top of my shopping list for next season. Although whether we could afford him (or if he’d come or want to come given yesterday and the uproar it might cause) is a different matter.

Of existing players out of contract I’d like to see Windass offered a new deal and Iorfa has just about earned one with his end of season form. Byers has an option on his contract and if it hasn’t been extended already I’d take a punt on him. Palmer we know is staying.

The rest? I think I’d say thanks and goodbye. Gregory is a tough one but he’s not getting any younger and I just don’t think the others are consistent enough. Marvin Johnson might struggle at Championship level and he didn’t get much change out of Williams yesterday. I’m on the fence with him as I have enjoyed watching him this season. 

Who to bring in? Well apart from Mads Andersen, I’d like to see a new first choice goalkeeper, a right and left back, a couple of midfielders (maybe more to give us strength in depth) and some new attacking options. I like Smith but we don’t play to his strengths, so whether or not we should cash in on him if a club comes in for him? Again, I’m a bit on the fence with him.

Squad needs a big overhaul for the Championship though and I think we all know that. I’d like us to try and build for the long term and get some players in who have age on their side. Also look at changing/investing in the non-first team set up at the club as well, along the lines of what Ty has posted on here, as what we have now isn’t really contributing towards players getting first team opportunities.

We can’t continue to/rely on bringing in players as a short term fix, or who are after one last pay day either. If we are to progress as a club we have to adopt a different mindset and have some sort of plan as to where we want to be and how we are going to get there. I’d happily take a couple of seasons where we concentrate on nothing more than establishing ourselves in the Championship and putting down some real foundations for us to build on. If Luton and Coventry can challenge for a place at the top table then there’s no reason why Sheffield Wednesday shouldn’t aspire to be able to do so either, but I don’t want to see us do it by recklessly throwing money at it (not that we have it) and gambling unnecessarily. We’ve done that and all of us know how it ended. 

Just some very initial thoughts - not really thought about it in detail re actual named players to possibly look at or bring in, apart from Mads Andersen who I’ve been a big fan of this season. 

Interesting post Bells. 

We were on about it on our way back last night, and yeah, I'd be of similar opinion re our current crop. 

Byers absolutely stays, Windass too, and Palmer deserves a new deal, and I'm with you on Iorfa although earlier in the season I'd have let him go. Gregory is a tough one, his play in the semi final 2nd leg, and the assist yesterday shows what he can do in front of goal and creating for others. But, could he step up again? Not so sure. Although I wouldn't be disappointed if he did stay. Marv, on his day has a wand of a left foot and some of his crosses have been quality, again, I refer to the playoff 2nd leg. But, yeah, he rarely gets past his man and flatters to deceive. I don't think he did much yesterday. Thanks for your efforts, even out of position, but we need to move on. 

Pato too. He's been fantastic in the run in, since he come back and has served our club very well. But, we need to improve. We don't need Swiss army knife type players, we need round pegs for round holes. He'll definitely be one we look back on fondly though. A Lee Peacock of our current era.

Brown, Adeniran, Dele Bashiru, Hunt, all I think will go, and Stockdale too. 

Andersen is a good shout, he played well, I thought Cadden did well before he went off, but I wouldn't sign either. Mark McGuinness is our man. That's the centre back we need in. He was a perfect fit for us. He's young, knows our system, knows what Moore wants. I heard a few yesterday saying we should sign Isted, and on yesterday's performance, you'd be hard pressed to disagree. BUT, we had another clean sheet from Cam yesterday and he did absolutely NOTHING wrong. Although, some will point at the first leg, Dingles away.... Although I'd argue he's much better now than he was, even at the start of the season. But we definitely need another keeper as I've said, I don't think we'll keep Stockdale.

Let's enjoy this, we were told DM has done his legwork, and his targets are set. Let's see how quickly, that transpires.

Absolutely enjoy this 

I recall that defeat to Derby 2 years ago and I genuinely feared for the future of the Club. 

So this is a much better feeling - but what happens next in this pre-season is as probably as crucial as that one. Football never stands still and I bet Moore takes a week off at most and back at it. Pre season training will start in a month !

• Like 1

Dawson needs competition for the first team shirt from someone around his age or maybe a little older. Bringing in a 30+ keeper just means there's a rotation in place for the cup games. 

With Dawson's contract coming up next season if we bring in another keeper who performs better then we have a seamless transition with a keeper still in his mid/late 20s and something to build on.

14 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Dawson needs competition for the first team shirt from someone around his age or maybe a little older. Bringing in a 30+ keeper just means there's a rotation in place for the cup games. 

With Dawson's contract coming up next season if we bring in another keeper who performs better then we have a seamless transition with a keeper still in his mid/late 20s and something to build on.

I think you just look all around the pitch and in some areas we need better in the first team 

Others we need back up players that are better quality 

And we need some legs and if we can some pace to hurt teams 

I do think we have to be ruthless and not sentimental 

As we stand:

New Keeper - send the young uns (pierce / Hall?) on loan. 2 RWBs to replace Hunt (or 1 plus Adeniran). LWB to replace Brown. McGuiness or Edwards from Posh

Jack Taylor from Posh. Jason Knight from Dorbeh

Cheeky shout at Vardy; Try in earnest for Morelos.

Dawson + 1

Henegran; Iorfa; Ihekiwe; Palmer; Famewo; (McGuiness/Edwards) 

2 RWBs; Neymarv + Newbie

Vaulks; Byers; Adeniran; Bannan; Bakinson, Shipston; Taylor; Knight

Windass; Wilks; Gregory; Smith; Morelos Vardy...

But New owner, New Manager, New formation? Anyones guess

No news on FDB but he may be better suited to championship, same as Bakinson who i'd retain

Edited by Andyben

Re Bakinson - he didn't actually make the bench yesterday 

But I agree part of what you say, there will be more football in the Championship, but more intensity and less forgiving 

New owner - Well the current one might have to find a few more million per season now and it has to be more attractive for someone looking at us 

New manager - Moore deserves the chance, but he needs to drop the motivational technique books and get one on tactics for his summer reading

New formation - I think the 3 - 5 - 2 will work fine IF we get the players to fit it better. But that is 3 midfielders in there - you simply cannot be out done in that area in this League 

It’s a monstrous rebuild. I agree with @Bellsview on Mads Andersen - very good center half. If we could get him and McGuinness in, I’d take that. We then also have Famewo (who’s had a very good season), Ihiekwe (who’s had a very good season) and Heneghan (who looked good until the injury. I’m also offering Iorfa a two year deal too.

Palmer has got a deal. Hunt will go, I think we will give Johnson a deal, I’d go for Reece James, but we need to invest in wide midfield players and wing backs. I’d look at the loan market and try and get something from the premier league.

In terms of midfield, Bannan, Vaulks and Byers. But we need more than that, I’m not offering deals to Dele and Dennis Adeniran. And I’m accepting offers for Bakinson. I’d go for Scott Twine on loan, I’d try and take Collins from Bristol Rovers. We also need a stopper in there too. I think Luca Connell at Barnsley is a very good player, I’d try and tempt him.

The money has to be spent up top. Give Windass a deal, give Pato a deal. Be ruthless with Gregory and not offer a deal and then we have Smith and Wilkes. No enough goals in that group so we need to spend on two more strikers.

As has been mentioned, we need a keeper to push Cam Dawson who’s had a very good season.

I don’t think we need to spend much. A transfer outlay of less than 5 million might sort that.

In this division I'd advocate that Shipston and Durrant (and possibly Cadamarteri) go out on loan if we can get L1 or top end L2 clubs for them. Charles and a couple more can go out provided it's no lower than Conference North. 

If we'd have lost yesterday then I'd have said keep them but there's no Papa Johns games next season to give them pitch time and going back to 21s will be a step back. 

Anyone that's thought to be any good in the 21s then get them out to taste 'proper' football 

If we want to be competitive next season, harsh as it is, only Bannan, Windass and, on his best form Iorfa should be near starting eleven. Ihiekwe has done well and worth place in squad and obviously Byers when fit. The rest I wouldn't worry a bit if they left.

We just look knackered I said to my lad after 90 mins our players were resembling the Normandy scene in saving private Ryan, bodies everywhere.

but the Barnsley players  were all just stood about.

Edited by Winco

2 minutes ago, Winco said:

We just look knackered I said to my lad after 90 mins our players were resembling the Normandy scene in saving private Ryan, bodies everywhere.

I think it told the last quarter of the season the age of the squad, some of the interviews note the change in playing more direct, most of us believe the 2 are connected 

You simply cannot underestimate though the mental drain of preparing for this either and the toll it takes physically. The pressure was on us to win much more than Barnsley. Though that pressure will heap on them to do the auto route next year, like our players had to take on board from Day 1 of the season

The pressure will never be off at Wednesday but I hope our fans have a degree of a reality check and that next season mid table and 58 points will be a decent outcome 

We do not have the foundations in place to be top 10 

18 minutes ago, Winco said:

Barnsley did their pre season conditioning at Lympstone Commando and regularly go to 4 Para at Pudsey for group fitness

1 hour ago, Winco said:

Maybe if they'd put same effort in as us they wouldn't have lost...

Michael Smith is an interesting one for me, 20 goals and but for injury would surely have beaten his haul for Rovrum the previous season.  But he was never entirely convincing in our system.  Will Moore keep him or try to move him on and get an upgrade from somewhere?

1 minute ago, BraddersTim said:

Michael Smith is an interesting one for me, 20 goals and but for injury would surely have beaten his haul for Rovrum the previous season.  But he was never entirely convincing in our system.  Will Moore keep him or try to move him on and get an upgrade from somewhere?

Warne wants him at Derby

Please get 2/3 players who have pace, alongside some skill.. it make all difference in some games.

Got to remember Moore took WBA to the edge of promotion in this league so it clear he’s capable. Tbh I can see some owners sniffing around him this coming season. 

20 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Please get 2/3 players who have pace, alongside some skill.. it make all difference in some games.

Got to remember Moore took WBA to the edge of promotion in this league so it clear he’s capable. Tbh I can see some owners sniffing around him this coming season. 

So he failed then....image.gif.6627c434ffd6dc9d700890d37a6eecf1.gif

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Got to remember Moore took WBA to the edge of promotion in this league so it clear he’s capable

He kept most of the relegated squad together and enhanced it with the likes of Dwight Gayle and Jacob Murphy. They were bookies favourites for promotion but they were only ever in the top 2 once. He was sacked after losing to the pigs and Leeds (both promotion rivals). 

That Albion team should have romped that division but they had no consistency 

I’m confident the core of Byers, Windass and Bannan can step up another gear and with the extra quality we will hopefully add around them this could be an exciting season. Mid table come Feb and a late playoff run with nothing to lose would be unreal. 
I honestly think Bannan having a few more quality players on his wavelength will make him more dangerous than he was in league 1. Less cloggers in the champ too but we definitely need to take him off set pieces ffs. I cannot watch another floated corner miss everyone.