Fackup first round v Morecambe (H) Match Fred.

I want us to cruise through the first two rounds with easy home wins against shite like these, then draw a Premier League club away in the third round, preferably one with loads of players in the World Cup, who’ll all be knackered after New Year.

20 minutes ago, Wollongong Owl said:

Didn't see the game, just wondering how Liam Shaw played and would he even get a place for us now.

First half anonymous.

Second half only noticeable due to a few boos. 

Did very little. Much like most of their team (except their no. 15 looked decent). 

Wouldn't get on the bench for us. 

Stockdale: well dodgy but got away with it. One good save.

James: Very good.

McG: some wayward passes when going forward, but excellent defensively.

Iorfa: best game for years. Ok, poor opposition, but didn't put a foot wrong. Saved Stockdale and back with those surging runs.

Hunt: Very good.

Mighten: best he's played for us. Better 2nd half.

Vaukes: did Bannan's job very well.

Bakinson: some lazy passes around halfway, again. But excellent when in their half.

Wilks: disappointing. Didn't build on his good game on Saturday. Lost possession too easily.

Windass: good goal, busy, but came too deep too often leaving Smith isolated.

Smith: missed an early sitter, but otherwise did well. Set up a great chance for James to miss 

MotM: Iorfa.

Choice of 3 for MOTM tonight, IMO.  Mighten, Iorfa & McGuinness.  A mention of Windass for a special goal.

Mighten was the player that we expected tonight and really deserved his goal. That's the best I've seen Iorfa play since his long injury absence.  McG is going to be a reight player.  

Am hoping the 2 or 3 that went down hurt for a while tonight are ok after assessment. James played on after treatment.  Hunt looked very unhappy with his and was replaced straight after treatment.  Wilkes was the other, getting accidentally caught by the follow through from a big, hooked clearance whilst racing through. 

We hardly really got out of 2nd gear last night I thought, save for a couple of moments. It was almost like a training game. As mentioned by others, MIghten, McGuinness, Iorfa all standing out against a very poor, but relatively mobile Morecambe side. 

Stockdale made a couple of decent saves to keep us on par, but once we went in front, they didn't lay a glove on us. McGuinness and Iorfa looked very assured at the back defensively, it may have been different had Stockton started for them... Perhaps. Iorfa's powerful forward runs returned, and I hope he's got a boat load of his confidence back from that game. Hunt just isn't the same for me, he showed flashes but looks a different player, he wasn't as mobile as we're used to seeing although it didn't stop him trying. I thought he played a little stiff. James is a good player, and is assured on the ball. 

Vaulks was steady I thought, Bakinson too, especially in the first half but for me he didn't impose himself on the game enough. Dele Bashiru, although coming on late in the game tries to get the game by the scruff of the neck almost and drives with the ball. He adds energy, Bakinson maybe has a little more vision, but goes missing much more. Similarly for Wilks, he tried a couple of what would have been fantastic goals, curling with the inside of his left boot but didn't really get going.

Windass' movement and energy levels in the first half were outstanding, and he deserved his goal. Mighten started slowly but then just got better and better. He more than deserved his first strike for the club for all his endeavours that's for sure. He had a fantastic chance which he created for himself in the second half where he cut in from the left, and waltzed past 3/4 players but he snatched at the shot which went wide, that would have been some goal had it gone in. He's a lot to be pleased with though overall,.

Smith did lots of work around the box, and should have scored in the first half when it was 0-0, heading wide when totally unmarked. But, despite his misgivings in front of goal last night, I still think he's a better player than some give him credit for. The awareness he showed to setup James inside their box with a fantastic back heel in the second half, was excellent. 

As Owling said, I hope the knocks we took weren't too bad. Although Hunt didn't seem impressed as he slowly walked from the field. 

We're in the hat for round two, relatively comfortably, winning breeds confidence. Not a bad evening at all.

• Like 1

Hope Hunt isn’t too injured - he looked gutted when he came off.

You know what I didn’t even clock Shaw tonight  - at theirs we gave him lots of abuse. Never going to happen with just under 9k in ground though at home I guess. 
Still he’s way off playing at a higher level.

I hope that goal will be Mighten launch pad now- he’s lightweight but clearly skilful. 

I agree it was a fairly easy ride for the team last night, not really getting of 2nd gear sums it up nicely.

Defensively Iorfa and McGuiness marshalled things very soundly.

The midfield and forwards were OK. However the win came off an excellent strike from outside the box from Windass which we know he can do and a mistake from them.

I think Mighten had his best performance but looking at objectively apart from the goal which was gifted to him he didn’t have any real end product despite a couple of decent runs against a fairly poor Morecombe side. Wilks was about the same, in terms of his end product. Neither did enough to warrant a start in our next League game.

I think Hunt did Ok without being outstanding, similar to Reece but both might be short of match fitness and Hunt might be injured looking at the way he left the pitch.

Whilst I’m not too concerned yet, I do think we are winning games without really scoring simple goals on regular basis.

Home tie again please.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

11 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I agree it was a fairly easy ride for the team last night, not really getting of 2nd gear sums it up nicely.

Defensively Iorfa and McGuiness marshalled things very soundly.

The midfield and forwards were OK. However the win came off an excellent strike from outside the box from Windass which we know he can do and a mistake from them.

I think Mighten had his best performance but looking at objectively apart from the goal which was gifted to him he didn’t have any real end product despite a couple of decent runs against a fairly poor Morecombe side. Wilks was about the same, in terms of his end product. Neither did enough to warrant a start in our next League game.

I think Hunt did Ok without being outstanding, similar to Reece but both might be short of match fitness and Hunt might be injured looking at the way he left the pitch.

Whilst I’m not too concerned yet, I do think we are winning games without really scoring simple goals on regular basis.

Home tie again please.

Fuck me you don't half post some fucking nonsense 

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Fuck me you don't half post some fucking nonsense 

Well it’s about opinions.
I’m simply making the point that we are winning too many games by scoring goal of the season contenders. It’s not a complaint because we do have some quality, but more tap ins and simple headers for the likes of Smith and Gregory would make it feel like we are going to piss it.

By the way you might think I come up with some nonsense, at least I don’t try and bully people on here like you do.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I’m simply making the point that we are winning too many games by scoring goal of the season contenders. It’s not a complaint because we do have some quality, but more tap ins and simple headers for the likes of Smith and Gregory would make it feel like we are going to piss it.

By the way you might think I come up with some nonsense, at least I don’t try and bully people on here like you do.

I've said that about relying on wonder goals at 2 or 3 games. When we don't, we sometimes seem to struggle for goals.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

You know you can fuck off at any point and no one would miss your inane drivel