Jump to content

Danny Wilson... Talks about his book


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, bricat said:

Read the book. Really enjoyed it. Stories about false promises made by chairmen to lure managers in, devious ways of sacking them etc., His bit when he took Pigs over is a chapter titled "Agent Wilson."

Uncle Dave Richards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wilson was an integral player for us. Struggled as a manager, his big signings Donnelly, De Bilde and Jonk were all terrible. Having said that the major problem for us at that time was Dave Richards. Must have been difficult working for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Morley Owl said:

Wilson was an integral player for us. Struggled as a manager, his big signings Donnelly, De Bilde and Jonk were all terrible. Having said that the major problem for us at that time was Dave Richards. Must have been difficult working for him. 

Jonk terrible 😄

Edited by Reesh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Morley Owl said:

Wilson was an integral player for us. Struggled as a manager, his big signings Donnelly, De Bilde and Jonk were all terrible. Having said that the major problem for us at that time was Dave Richards. Must have been difficult working for him. 

Donnelly wasn’t terrible as a player, while his injury record was, and it wasn’t all his fault if the stories are true.

Jonk was the best passer of the ball I’ve seen us have, after Shez. No, of course he didn’t have the impact of our legendary number 8 (who ironically signed on this day in 1989), but he was still a very good player but in a bad lot managed team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Didn't we get turned down by Smith and Houllier before 'settling' on Wilson?

Would either have been an upgrade on Ron? 

Didn't Houllier all but agree to come to Wednesday but then Liverpool offered him better terms and a decent budget?

Same with Smith but he ended up at Everton?

1 of the biggest mistake in SWFC history not appointing Big Ron after he led us to safety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Walter Smith was very close to becoming a Wednesday manager. But Everton got tipped off about it and jumped in.

All told to me by another Scottish manager who knew him 

It was well documented elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Dunc, Dacourt, Steve Watson, Materazzi, John Collins etc would have pissed all over Wilson's signings if we'd got Smith. Don't remember Everton being much better off than us financially at that point, but could be wrong.

Still love Wilson as a player even though he managed those wank stains

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Didn't we get turned down by Smith and Houllier before 'settling' on Wilson?

Would either have been an upgrade on Ron? 

Think we also got turned down by Phillipe Troussier who was manager of South Africa at the time as well as Wim Jansen who had just left Celtic

Wasn't Rons plan that he'd manage for a few more years with Nigel Pearson as his assistant to get him ready to take over as manager?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Think we also got turned down by Phillipe Troussier who was manager of South Africa at the time as well as Wim Jansen who had just left Celtic

Wasn't Rons plan that he'd manage for a few more years with Nigel Pearson as his assistant to get him ready to take over as manager?

 

 

Yeah think so, as IIRC he mentioned it in his book. Also, he’d agreed a deal to sign a French centre back. But after he got the tin tack, he went to sign for Chelsea. Can’t remember his name

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Richards did a deal with Terry Brown just to get rid of him. 

Brown had the favour returned when West Ham fielded an eligible player in a League Cup quarter final they beat Villa on penalties. Doug Ellis wanted West Ham thrown out but Richards, as PL chairman, 'arbitrated' between the teams and then adjudicated a replay. Luckily Villa won the replay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is more to the Di Canio story . I worked for a French Group with UK subsiduary based in Sheffield . We had  an Exec seconded to us from France for a few years . His kids were in the same school as Di Canio's and they knew him quite well . At the start of Term in September Di Canio's kids not there , they  had left . The story being Di Canio was not going to be in Sheffield for very long .  Our Exec allways suspected Di Canio  orchestrated  the incident in order to get away 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, lobster said:

There is more to the Di Canio story . I worked for a French Group with UK subsiduary based in Sheffield . We had  an Exec seconded to us from France for a few years . His kids were in the same school as Di Canio's and they knew him quite well . At the start of Term in September Di Canio's kids not there , they  had left . The story being Di Canio was not going to be in Sheffield for very long .  Our Exec allways suspected Di Canio  orchestrated  the incident in order to get away 

Morning Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...