Comebacks....

HoylandOwl

As I mentioned in the match thread, after the game I sat back and loved it. We all love it when we see Wednesday thump a side to nil, but there's also (IMO) a proper joy to seeing a comeback and snatching it late on like we did on Saturday. 

It feels like a win, both on the field and off it. The opposing fans are sick as a pig, and so are the players on the pitch, while ours are high and it shows fighting spirit, heart, commitment etc. 

My memory is crap at times, but I do remember the one against Bristol City when we went 2-0 down six years ago after a certain current Roma and England centre forward bagged twice, before Kieran Lee scored a winner in the 96th minute. Obviously that was a win, but Saturday evoked similar feelings to that. 

Oldham in 1991, they go 2 up scoring at the Kop end (assisted by Warhurst for one of them) as we were battling for promotion to the top flight. Then Shez bags twice to level the game. 

What were some of those that you remember? 

20 minutes ago, Sparkowl said:

West Brom away in 1990, 1-0 down, playing shite and then getting 2 in the last 5 minutes. Absolute pandemonium in the away end and fluffy toys everywhere. 

As much as it wasn’t two goal comeback. I enjoyed the Steve Watson leveller at the Hawthorns in something like the 97th minute. 

27 minutes ago, Sheffieldblue said:

Charlton at home 1983. 1-0 up, 3-1 down at half time. Pulled it back to 3 all only to go 4-3 down. Then scored twice for a 5-4 victory 

Alan Simonsen was playing for Charlton that day and he was an ex European player of the season, absolute class player and ran us ragged that day. First rumblings of " Charlton (Jack) out that day when we were 3-1 down.

Flew back from Mallorca on an early flight, went to Hillsborough and the ko was delayed by 15 minutes after torrential rain.

2-0 down and there's me thinking 'the fuck am I doing here?'  Especially when Hutchinson was sent off conceding a penalty that could have made it 0-3. 

Wednesday 3 Bristol City 2 - Lee 90th minute winner. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Flew back from Mallorca on an early flight, went to Hillsborough and the ko was delayed by 15 minutes after torrential rain.

2-0 down and there's me thinking 'the fuck am I doing here?'  Especially when Hutchinson was sent off conceding a penalty that could have made it 0-3. 

Wednesday 3 Bristol City 2 - Lee 90th minute winner. 

By sent off at 2 Nil you mean 2-1?

Going back 61 years to the Inter Cities Fairs Cup 1961/62 season. In the first round we were drawn away to France's Olympique Lyonnais and lost 4-2 in front of 5,000 fans. We were made of sterner stuff back then though and progressed with a 5-2 victory at Hillsborough in front of over 30,000 fans.

During the dark days of the Chris Turner reign, a game I remember was Scunthorpe United away in the FA Cup

2-0 down, playing dreadful and seeing the decline go on. Ndumbu pulls one back in the 84th minute for a bit of hope and then Holt equalised in injury time. Totally undeserved but we had a chance to get through to the third round

Only for us to be knocked out on penalties after a dreadful 0-0 draw in the replay

5 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

During the dark days of the Chris Turner reign, a game I remember was Scunthorpe United away in the FA Cup

2-0 down, playing dreadful and seeing the decline go on. Ndumbu pulls one back in the 84th minute for a bit of hope and then Holt equalised in injury time. Totally undeserved but we had a chance to get through to the third round

Only for us to be knocked out on penalties after a dreadful 0-0 draw in the replay

I fucked off on 80 minutes to get back for the earlier train that day too.