Team for Tuesday

M42Owl

Yesterday’s game throws up some interesting options for team selection at Peterborough. It must have been tough in the heat, especially for those in the engine room, so I’d make a few changes. 

Defence.

Beginning to pick itself now with such limited options,

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan Palmer.

But does it? Palmer might be needed elsewhere.

Wingbacks

Maybe Hunt suffered the heat more than others, but he looked like he needed a week off to recover. So Palmer at RWB and James in at LCB.

After an early goal v Portsmouth, Johnson has looked mediocre. He could do with a rest too, but who replaces him? James. Except that he’s in defence.

It seems that only one of Hunt / Johnson can be rested at any time. I’d go for Hunt. But then again, at Peterborough, we might want more defensive minded wing backs.

Centre Mid.

The starting three on Saturday all had off days. The game passed FDB by, Bannan had one of those days where the crosses are feeble and the flicks go awry. Plenty of effort, but no creativity. Vaukes looked like he’s still learning what his role is. Considering their exertions, I’d rest all three. Byers and Bakinson were excellent and should start, although Adeniran might be an alternative to Bakinson. Then I’d add Windass to play behind the front two. When Sow came on and Windass stepped back, he was a different player. The substitutes changed the game, but moving Windass was as important as any other change. I’d keep that formation, although I think Moore will have it in reserve for the last 20/30 minutes if needed.

Forwards

Gregory has to start. No sign of injury and only 30 minutes played, so he must be raring to go. Who partners him, Sow or Paterson? I’d go with Sow, although I do think Paterson works harder to close down the defenders than Sow.

My Team

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan James

Palmer Byers Bakinson/(or Adeniran) Johnson

Windass

Gregory Sow

Moore’s Team

I think he will go with…

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan James

Palmer Byers Bannan Vaukes Johnson

Gregory Windass

19 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Yesterday’s game throws up some interesting options for team selection at Peterborough. It must have been tough in the heat, especially for those in the engine room, so I’d make a few changes. 

Defence.

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan Palmer.

Wingbacks

Maybe Hunt suffered the heat more than others, but he looked like he needed a week off to recover. So Palmer at RWB and James in at LCB.

After an early goal v Portsmouth, Johnson has looked mediocre. He could do with a rest too, but who replaces him? James. Except that he’s in defence.

It seems that only one of Hunt / Johnson can be rested at any time. I’d go for Hunt. But then again, at Peterborough, we might want more defensive minded wing backs.

Centre Mid.

The starting three on Saturday all had off days. The game passed FDB by, Bannan had one of those days where the crosses are feeble and the flicks go awry. Plenty of effort, but no creativity. Vaukes looked like he’s still learning what his role is. Considering their exertions, I’d rest all three. Byers and Bakinson were excellent and should start, although Adeniran might be an alternative to Bakinson. Then I’d add Windass to play behind the front two. When Sow came on and Windass stepped back, he was a different player. The substitutes changed the game, but moving Windass was as important as any other change. I’d keep that formation, although I think Moore will have it in reserve for the last 20/30 minutes if needed.

Forwards

Gregory has to start. No sign of injury and only 30 minutes played, so he must be raring to go. Who partners him, Sow or Paterson? I’d go with Sow, although I do think Paterson works harder to close down the defenders than Sow.

My Team

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan James

Windass

Gregory Sow

Moore’s Team

I think he will go with…

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan James

Gregory Windass

Good point - well made!  I'd be happy with your team selection.

Sow instead of Pato sounds good to me. I personally prefer Pato in a more defensive position and not as a striker anyway and Sow will benefit from some gametime to give him some match sharpness.

3 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Defence.

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan Palmer.

Wingbacks

Centre Mid.

Forwards

My Team

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan James

Windass

Gregory Sow

Moore’s Team

I think he will go with…

Stockdale

Ihekwe Henegan James

Gregory Windass

I think Adeniran for Vaulks, otherwise I your Moore’s Team is spot on. 

18 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

My team would be

Stockdale 

Iorfa

Heneghan

Ihekwe

Palmer

James

Byers

Adeniran

Bannan

Gregory 

Windass

Moore will stick with Johnson and Iorfa will drop to the bench 

We definitely need another wingback

Are you suggesting Iorfa at RWB or moving to a 4-4-2?

2 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Are you suggesting Iorfa at RWB or moving to a 4-4-2?

Didn't Iorfa come to us as a right back and got moved inside out of necessity?

Or have I just dreamt that one up?

Iorfa at RWB could be an option but I wouldn't dick about doing it against Peterborough. Rochdale maybe. 

3 minutes ago, Professor Plum said:

Well, to be honest. I don't think he'll play a back four. I don't think James will start and I don't think Byers will either and he certainly won't play Adeniran on the right no matter how he crosses the ball.

But it's not Moores team, it's mine, as clearly stated at the top.😀

I hope you would have used your formation in pre-season and training as well 😉

(it's too much change right now for my liking)

31 minutes ago, Professor Plum said:

Well he said he had prepared for a back 4 the other week. Not too much of a change really. Byers plays in front of the defence and Windass just being Gregory but he'll go where he will. Palmer will still get forward on the right and Johnson on the left. 

We're going to have to try something different, these players should be battering teams but we aren't. You remember the video you posted last week or two from Sheffcam? He went into some detail about it.

The idea of a change of formation worries me   - I am longing for some consistancy (which I won't get).

I'm fine with a back four, IF and WHEN  we prepared for it, but I can't see us being ready for it yet.

There's no reason for any of our midfield to play for more than 90-120 minutes in a week, especially in this heat.

Start with a solid base of Byers + Vaulkes/Bakinson/Adeniran behind Bannan/FDB/Adeniran/Windass in front. Sub in/out as soon as they get tired or to go more attacking/defensive.

Rest both WBs, Iorfa back in at RCB, he should be fine with Palmer outside him.

Start Sow forward running at the back line with Gregory slightly behind in the holes Sow creates.

Sub them earlyish to keep everyone fit for Saturday.

• Like 1

To be honest switching from a 3 at the back to a 4 ( or vise versa) assuming we have the players on the pitch to do it makes complete sense. I think in L1 some cleverness even though, let's be frank that ain't rocket science, can unsettle opponents.

DM needs to get a swagger going with this team. A nice start granted, got the players, if fit, autos HAS to be the target.

I wouldn't rule out a back int day Ajax 5-5 formation though!!!

And remember...if you have the ball the opposition cannot score.

You having that Reesch 🤣

8 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

There's no reason for any of our midfield to play for more than 90-120 minutes in a week, especially in this heat.

Start with a solid base of Byers + Vaulkes/Bakinson/Adeniran behind Bannan/FDB/Adeniran/Windass in front. Sub in/out as soon as they get tired or to go more attacking/defensive.

Rest both WBs, Iorfa back in at RCB, he should be fine with Palmer outside him.

Start Sow forward running at the back line with Gregory slightly behind in the holes Sow creates.

Sub them earlyish to keep everyone fit for Saturday.

Welcome aboard Tewksbury.

Massive test. These are big and very very mobile and they have lots of goal threats, plus a manager who romped this league at Hull. So, we need legs all over the place.

I agree with the consensus that our wing backs have been weak links, and we need an option down the right, and perhaps James needs a go on the left. Johnson will get exposed today defensively. Hunt JUST keeps his spot, but more related to the fact that Palmer has to move and it means Iorfa starts which against these would be a concern.

Adeniran has to start tonight, as does Byers. Then the argument is really Bakinson, Bannan, Vaulks and Fizz for the other spot. He’ll go with Bannan, I’d not. I’d probably put Vaulks in again.

Up front it has to be Gregory and Windass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lee said:

To be honest switching from a 3 at the back to a 4 ( or vise versa) assuming we have the players on the pitch to do it makes complete sense. I think in L1 some cleverness even though, let's be frank that ain't rocket science, can unsettle opponents.

DM needs to get a swagger going with this team. A nice start granted, got the players, if fit, autos HAS to be the target.

I wouldn't rule out a back int day Ajax 5-5 formation though!!!

And remember...if you have the ball the opposition cannot score.

You having that Reesch 🤣

Didn’t we once score without touching the ball?

I might be imagining it, but 1960s Alan Mullary (Fulham?) own goal straight from the kick-off. 

Perhaps more to the point, I do feel sometimes that we get pressed so deep that we’re in danger that a defender’s pass across to Stockdale is going to be sliced into the net. At times like that, I prefer a hoof downfield to gift possession in the opposition half.

1 hour ago, M42Owl said:

Didn’t we once score without touching the ball?

I might be imagining it, but 1960s Alan Mullary (Fulham?) own goal straight from the kick-off. 

Perhaps more to the point, I do feel sometimes that we get pressed so deep that we’re in danger that a defender’s pass across to Stockdale is going to be sliced into the net. At times like that, I prefer a hoof downfield to gift possession in the opposition half.

Correct apart from spelling: Mullery.  

Talking of slicing passes: remember St. Roland slicing a pass across goal against the far post in the home semi against Blackburn in 1993?  

Now then, I've got a memory that there was a bit of a debacle at Hillsborough from our right back with woods in nets, long back pass, no pressure, woods fumble he liked them or summat, might have gone in as an og or might have hit post south stand side.

Can anyone confirm in anyway at all!??

I have a bit of confidence in this BUT I now walk into rooms and have no idea why, leave kitchen cupboards open and don't get me started on where I left my phone last.

The joys of middle age hey!!