Our former £5m man needs to find consistency.

• HoylandOwl changed the title to Our former £5m man needs to find consistency.

I've never understood the fascination with the fee we paid for Reach. 

He owes Wednesday nothing btw. Put some real shifts in and single handedly kept us up one season. 

He then caught the eye of the boo boys and that was that. 

Edited by Skamp
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

TBH Skamp, I'd no major beef with Reach. When he first came I thought he was decent, not a world beater but relatively reliable and one player I'd rather US have than others. 

Was available for 95% of all matches played whilst at the club for 4 years! Whilst all those around him were injured .. very reliable! Sadly got played when he really did need a break to rediscover form! 

It was difficult not to draw attention to the transfer fee in his first season.  For much of it he looked just about the worst player in a side most of whom we picked up as free agents or for small fees.  He DID eventually prove his worth a year or two later when we had about 13 players out injured.

13 hours ago, owl71 said:

It was difficult not to draw attention to the transfer fee in his first season.  For much of it he looked just about the worst player in a side most of whom we picked up as free agents or for small fees.  He DID eventually prove his worth a year or two later when we had about 13 players out injured.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment was that, after his excellent 12 months of leading the team by example whilst 12 or 13 main actors were out injured, as soon as the usual big characters came back to fitness he went into his shell again. It was definitely lack of strength of personality amongst the others that spoiled him IMO, not anything physical or skills being lacked.  

Edited by Owling_Wolf
Typos.