Bannan Interview

Seems a contributory factor but not every player would be able to be told their future especially in this scenario. They can’t hide behind it.

Sounds as if Bannan might want out though as a little while ago it was more or less announced informally that he was staying?

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Knobheads 

Rob Staton loves to shit stir to get his pal Adam Shaw in 

tbf that is Adam Oxley and it is hardly the most probing trick me into saying something interview. 

I mean most of us watching v Boro sensed summat was not quite right 

It is human nature to be thinking that in 3 months you might be on the scrapheap financially. We always seem to think players should be immune from this type of thing and hug the badge come what may. I can safely say there have been times in my un illustrious career I have basically downed tools because you are a bit fucked off with the boss

Its bloody confusing when you are the boss saying that 

4 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

What would really worry me would be if the majority of those players coming up to the end of their contracts had had them extended.

Very true 

I suppose the ideal world is the permanent squad are on 4 year contracts and 25% come up for renewal each year. So keep it easy you have a 24 strong squad and have 6 each summer - of which you might renew some early, others could have signed pre-contracts elsewhere, some hold out and then you will have the just fuck off. 

The other 18 may be churned for whatever reason 

Unfortunately circumstances can dictate that ideal world never occurs and when you are shopping at the older player level then you would be mad to offer 4 year deals anyway 

5 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

If we weren’t battling relegation, I’d argue that it wouldn’t be causing as much bother as it is. 

50 : 50 on that for me

I actually think the uncertainty it creates is more pertinent than league position 

It would probably be less evidenced - because if you were mid table then the view is they were simply playing in flip flops. Fans are less forgiving in a relegation battle 

There is a BIG difference...

To playing in flip flops after trying your best for most of the season

To not giving a schit for most of the season. 

This is exactly what happened with Reach, who was not on his own either. 

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Very true 

I suppose the ideal world is the permanent squad are on 4 year contracts and 25% come up for renewal each year. So keep it easy you have a 24 strong squad and have 6 each summer - of which you might renew some early, others could have signed pre-contracts elsewhere, some hold out and then you will have the just fuck off. 

The other 18 may be churned for whatever reason 

Unfortunately circumstances can dictate that ideal world never occurs and when you are shopping at the older player level then you would be mad to offer 4 year deals anyway 

Yes ideally contract lengths would be staggered but of course shorter term practicalities/thinking can stymie this balanced approach. 

In the now some of those approaching the end of their contracts might have been pencilled in as 'keepers'. The eraser might now be getting some use if attitudes aren't smartened up sharpish .

4 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

It doesnt make sense to me. If my contract was up at the end of the season, I would be busting a gut, whilst in the showroom window, giving my agent some material to sell me to other clubs.

.... plus even, perish the thought, acting professionally and having pride in performance 

• Like 3

There's no excuses from BB or anyone else in the squad for the xisco games. 

If Bannan was the senior experienced man he should have sorted the team and not let them get into the mess.

But he's wank 

• Like 1

Oh no!

A manager isn't bending over backward to make life easy for them so they're having a paddy.

I take it they've just found out that DR isn't going to sacrifice his formation and tactics to accommodate our senior players so they've packed in, just like every other manager who jeopardises their cushty jobs.

Pulis, Xisco, now Rohl.

Half arsed, not doing as the manager dictates, failing.

Too much player power in this club and we will never catch up with the others till it's gone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Pulis was wank though 

Funny how every manager who tries getting Bannan and his mates to do something other than roam about and do what they want fails hard.

Pulis, Xisco, even DM tried to put him in the 6 in a 4231 and failed because Bannan kept fucking off so we had to change formation. Now Rohl is getting it.

• Like 3

I've posted previously, on another thread, that Leam Richardson has already told his squad who he's letting go and who he wants to stay and it's not done them much good. 

If the majority of our out of contract players think they'll get a move to another championship club then they're sorely mistaken and L1 and L2 clubs cut their cloth accordingly. A lot of lower clubs do place an onus on attitude towards the back end of the season and if they see a player becoming disinterested in a relegation fight then they will think twice. 

I've no doubt it's easier to have a mindset of 'where's my next contract' at this time but it's also what players pay agents for and these agents should be earning their money not only looking for clubs but telling their client to put a shift in. 

I'm sure no agent wants to try and 'sell' his player to another club when his Opti stats have dropped 10-15% in the last few games. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Funny how every manager who tries getting Bannan and his mates to do something other than roam about and do what they want fails hard.

Pulis, Xisco, even DM tried to put him in the 6 in a 4231 and failed because Bannan kept fucking off so we had to change formation. Now Rohl is getting it.

Pulis was wank regardless. You saw a better standard of football on Concord Park

I said it the other day. We've 18 out of contract, yes, that will include the young pros. If those out of contract this summer, applied themselves like JJ used to in his final 4 months of his contract. We'd be laughing. (Obviously I'd rather that be across the WHOLE contract of course)

The other thing in this of course. We signed players to get us out of League 1.. Who in most people's mind, would do that job and MAYBE, only MAYBE get some traction in the Championship. That was the remit for Moore, to get out of that division. 

Yes, it worked but it was short term thinking... We ALL knew that. 

The way the club is run from a FOOTBALL point of view now is very different to what it was. And I think we'll see that this summer under DR, either in League 1 or the Championship, I'd completely expect we'll see that change of ethos reinforced. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Looks.like I've got my job cut out....

Be in a great position if we stay up without extending anyone else.

The only contracted player from before last season is Pato, who is the only one who can't be accused of mugging it off.

A lot of the players involved are on loan so it doesn’t apply and many are in contract (musaba, cademarteri, Gassama, Valentin) I understand there’s an option to extend at least one or two others. So I don’t think it can be as big an issue as made out. Notably it’s the main guys in the squad who haven’t been sorted or may have decided they don’t want to be and that is probably more accurate

On 04/04/2024 at 15:49, TheExile said:

A lot of the players involved are on loan so it doesn’t apply and many are in contract (musaba, cademarteri, Gassama, Valentin) I understand there’s an option to extend at least one or two others. So I don’t think it can be as big an issue as made out. Notably it’s the main guys in the squad who haven’t been sorted or may have decided they don’t want to be and that is probably more accurate

The only ones playing that it applies to really are Bannan, Palmer, Johnson and Vaulks.

Vaulks has come out last week and said he's fighting for his spot and shows it. Bernard doesn't look like staying anyway.

So Bannan is finding it hard to captain himself and Marv, as Palmer isn't even starting.

Rohl seems to have done everything he can to replace Marvin, so he won't be here anyway, so that leaves Barry finding it hard to captain himself.

IfhBannan is still club captain next season, or even still at the club, there's something going seriously wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Palmer is also supposed to be a fan, so you'd think he'd do his best for the club no matter what...

That would have been him leaving for another club circa 2011....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just read some of the interview via the star.

Personally I just think, perhaps if said players had put in the effort & determination that the fans do over the course of the season, then they wouldn't be 23rd in the league table & moaning that they haven't had talks re a new deal.

Talk is cheap, show some fight like yesterday & keep us in this division.

• Like 2