German fans protests paid dividends

4 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

Birmingham.

We're not actually disagreeing that much.  Yeah I'm saying Sheffield won't get global acts now, and it won't.  The infrastructure just isn't there for that and "Sheffield" doesn't have any cache on the global gig circuit, not in the way that the cities that you mention do (even chuffing Birmingham).  And Sheffield City Council doesn't have the will/means/ambition to change it, which is pretty much what you're saying.

Difference with Birmingham is the Arena there is bang next to the NEC, train station and the M42. Shopping and restaurant complex, at least 2 hotels, if not more. Parking was less good and pricey. But you end up with a huge catchment area, last gig we went there were folk from the West Country. I appreciate people do travel quite a long way for gigs. 

But we prefer going that way rather than into London 

12 hours ago, mkowl said:

Difference with Birmingham is the Arena there is bang next to the NEC, train station and the M42. Shopping and restaurant complex, at least 2 hotels, if not more. Parking was less good and pricey. But you end up with a huge catchment area, last gig we went there were folk from the West Country. I appreciate people do travel quite a long way for gigs. 

But we prefer going that way rather than into London 

Can I just say, I absolutely fucking detest the NEC.

2 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

Can I just say, I absolutely fucking detest the NEC.

Is that the same as the Utilita Arena - never sure which is which. Saw Queens of the Stone Age there in November, didn't mind it but then I much prefer the 02 Academy in / near the city centre. 

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Is that the same as the Utilita Arena - never sure which is which. Saw Queens of the Stone Age there in November, didn't mind it but then I much prefer the 02 Academy in / near the city centre. 

If the Academy is just short of Edgbaston, if southbound, yes I liked that. 

On 27/02/2024 at 15:39, Andyben said:

Where? They've played three time in Sheffield at DVS, as did Michale Jackson, Tina Turner, U2 etc

Add in the Eagles, RHCP, Spice Girls, Celne Dion - not many bigger worldwide artist during that period from early 1990's to mid 2000's

Pretty certain I may have seen The Red Hot Chilli Peppers on a Wednesday afternoon at DVS ....... Memory a little hazy & I may have dreamt it as a large consignment of MDMA hit Hillsborough Corner around the same time!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1