Can we make the Canaries sing to our tune

Reesh

They are just a bit too good for us unfortunately, especially with the ball and they really fancy it down Pato’s side, they keep getting behind him at will.

No qualms about them being 3-1 up, we’ve actually not been bad, but they just have that bit of quality and movement that’s done us.

Really poor from Dawson for the third.

A nearly game but one we decided by a bit of quality for the first goal, a second where we were all over the place and a 3rd that was poor, but one they should have scored 3 more really.

Rohl has done a lot right and HT subs have been OK, but really not sure on that one and I think unsettled us enough to concede a poor goal and we struggled to make an impact for 20 minutes thereafter. 

And that is a recurring theme at present, losing impetus for the first half of the 2nd half.

We looked threatening toward the end but they had one eye on Saturday.

We are what we are, a squad that is better organised, looks threatening at times but look vulnerable at the back to quick passing teams, then suffer from poor application and decision making in defence and goal.

The 3rd should never have gone in and that was really game over 

Played well / rode our luck first half. A different game from kick off in the second. Especially after the early 2nd goal. They upped their game & played faster. We were chasing shadows at times & achieved little .
Let's hope that doesn't burst the feelgood bubble before the two home games. Need to beat QPR Saturday.

Whilst some of the performance was ok, defensively we looked like an accident waiting to happen. 3-1 may seem harsh but it could easily have been 5 or 6. Barnes missed 2 absolute sitters in the first half

Plus they were a little more clinical compared to us. They would have converted that header Paterson headed straight at the keeper, which would have made it 3-2 and a little more interesting.

The side is getting better. Under the previous manager, that would have been a thrashing

Oh and Will Vaulks' performances since Rohl came in have been excellent. Again, he played well tonight and currently is the first name on the team sheet. 

Edited by Kiwi Owl

Just now, mkowl said:

A nearly game but one we decided by a bit of quality for the first goal, a second where we were all over the place and a 3rd that was poor, but one they should have scored 3 more really.

Rohl has done a lot right and HT subs have been OK, but really not sure on that one and I think unsettled us enough to concede a poor goal and we struggled to make an impact for 20 minutes thereafter. 

And that is a recurring theme at present, losing impetus for the first half of the 2nd half.

We looked threatening toward the end but they had one eye on Saturday.

We are what we are, a squad that is better organised, looks threatening at times but look vulnerable at the back to quick passing teams, then suffer from poor application and decision making in defence and goal.

The 3rd should never have gone in and that was really game over 

Fair summary. Not too despondent though as we had some decent moments. We lack a bit of quality in 2 or 3 positions but DR appears to be on it..... this is interesting:-

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-danny-rohl-january-exits-4443048

9 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Don't deserve to lose 3-1.

I'd be seriously concerned if we weren't making chances but we are, we just need to be more clinical.

Keep fighting, keep going, it will come, get some reinforcement in, in January I seriously believe that we'll because Championship team next season 

The reality though it should have been 3-1 at HT to them. Barnes scoring with his most difficult chance of the 3. We cannot gloss over the ease with which they created those chances. 

So I actually thinking taking off the blue and white specs it was an outcome that I don't think you can argue with

For all our organisation and commitment that Rohl brings, like I have said all season the collective and individual quality of our squad is 5% below what is required. And that is going to be really difficult in converting that to the wins required. 

We simply do not have players that can produce a goal out of nothing, whilst our defenders have that mistake or poor decision making that gets punished

And that is what is tipping the balance and will do so, unless it can be addressed in the transfer window. 

The issue is its lacking across the park - we need 5 at least upgrades and I simply don't think they are available or affordable 

12 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Played well / rode our luck first half. A different game from kick off in the second. Especially after the early 2nd goal. They upped their game & played faster. We were chasing shadows at times & achieved little .
Let's hope that doesn't burst the feelgood bubble before the two home games. Need to beat QPR Saturday.

It's the Championship, even if you are playing well the chances of you pulling 2 away wins on the bounce in 4 days is pretty low probability. I feared a thumping when they got the 3rd as they could have played with less fear and our heads dropped. They absolutely had one eye on the Ipswich game, hate to say I think we had one on the QPR game.

Daft thing, football wise it was a better spectacle than Saturday but we lose the game. But I was also much happier with the progression I can see in how we could escape this. 

Actually it may dampen the expectation level, which brings its own added pressure.

We must accept our players are 5% below the required standard, so even with 100% application and what Rohl brings, the reality is this is a tough gig.

We need to strengthen at the back in January for sure.  But a month ago I thought we needed to strengthen the entire squad in January to have a prayer so things are clearly moving in the right direction.  The team spirit is still spot on, the players are buying into Röhl‘s methods.  As a previous post pointed out, we are making chances.  In relegation battles I always tend to look at the sides who are creating, and think they will get over the line when push comes to shove. 

Absolutely delighted Cadamarteri got another goal.  Finally its happening with the youth team.

• Like 1

Overall it feels shit tonight because the 2nd half performance was so flat.

Cadamarteri worked his arse off again and showed why he’s highly regarded with that goal. Proper old school forward. Got hurt, didn’t care. Celebrated with the fans. Not fannying around rolling on the floor. But he didn’t have much to work with that’s for sure.

Vaulks‘ balls into the box first half were excellent. There’s an argument Ihiekwe was fouled when Gunn made that save from him early on too. 

Maybe we should have been behind at half time but we weren’t. We stayed in the game, and played quite well at times. The difference was that quality that MK speaks of and that showed in the second half. With the second and third goals. Those very basic errors we were seeing every week not so long ago resurfaced. 

Dawson needed praise last weekend, but he needs berating for that third goal. It’s simply not good enough and I think he knew it too. Pato’s ‘attempt’ to stop that ball wide too for the second. Awful.

BUT. 
Win on Saturday then all will likely be forgotten because we still showed more tonight than any game under the previous manager. By a long chalk 

51 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Whilst some of the performance was ok, defensively we looked like an accident waiting to happen. 3-1 may seem harsh but it could easily have been 5 or 6. Barnes missed 2 absolute sitters in the first half

Plus they were a little more clinical compared to us. They would have converted that header Paterson headed straight at the keeper, which would have made it 3-2 and a little more interesting.

The side is getting better. Under the previous manager, that would have been a thrashing

Oh and Will Vaulks' performances since Rohl came in have been excellent. Again, he played well tonight and currently is the first name on the team sheet. 

That.

The issue for the rest of the season is simply the Championship is a brutal league. The commentator on the Watford v Ipswich game remarked on the quality uplift this season. 

Hence even if we matched the overall quality of teams, the law of averages says you will lose a few, you may not play terrible and still be 4 games without a win.

That gig becomes even harder because we are not their match. It is marginal but noticeable where it matters at either end of the pitch.

Xisco sadly coupled that with an inept playing style and tactics. Rohl has at least made us competitive, but you go thru the issues

Goalkeeper

Right back 

Left back 

A centre half

Can M Diaby get fit 

We can't expect miracles from Cadamateri 

I know Patterson gets credit on here, but he summed us up really. Can't fault his effort ever, prevents a goal with a block, then a piss poor wave yer leg and they are in to score. 

In a better side you get away with a Patterson, you don't when you also have a Dawson, a Palmer, a Diaby, a Famewo etc etc

I like Byers but I am not seeing his contribution 

Our recruitment in the summer simply did not uplift the quality. Maybe addressing half the issues in the squad could hide the rest. I am not convinced as to how we are going to find / afford upgrades 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkowl said:

I know Patterson gets credit on here, but he summed us up really. Can't fault his effort ever, prevents a goal with a block, then a piss poor wave yer leg and they are in to score. 

In a better side you get away with a Patterson, you don't when you also have a Dawson, a Palmer, a Diaby, a Famewo etc etc

I like Byers but I am not seeing his contribution 

Our recruitment in the summer simply did not uplift the quality. Maybe addressing half the issues in the squad could hide the rest. I am not convinced as to how we are going to find / afford upgrades 

Your comments about the marginal difference of our players are totally valid as well as comments about the quality of teams this year.  Typically for us this year is far superior to last. 

Biggest rule of thumb for me is how many of our starting line up each game would get in the opposition starting line up.  Quite sobering really but also a measure that Rohl is at least starting to get a bit of a tune even if mainly through effort and endeavor.