Wednesday's u21 thread

The 21's drew 3-3 against Cardiff today/

Here's how #swfc Under-21s lined up away at Cardiff earlier today.

XI | Charles, Siqueira, Wilson, Adetoro, Reed, Shipston, Glover, Buchan, Fusire, Onukwuli, Cadamarteri Subs | Hall, Maltby, Flannery, Cook, Moses

Gui Siqueira scored first for the Owls and Bailey Cadamarteri bagged a brace.

Cardiffs match report for the game...

11 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Were winning 3-1 but not sure on final score.  Cadamarteri scored one of them.

Thank you.

Ended 3-1, Cadamateri, Shipston and Fusire.

Gassama and Heneghan played for us, per the Star

Edited by Reesh

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

The young Owls play Charlton this afternoon... 

And it's live on YouTube via SWFC

Was planning to go to that.  Unhappily, due to some necessary re-jigging of my diary last night and today, I'm being forced to go to a nice 'country-ish' pub for the afternoon.  Damn!  I'll make the effort to follow the score, though.   🍺 👍

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I'm surprised clubs haven't been in for Ben yet, for the same reason we signed him. 

I'm wondering if he's signed a week to week contract.  I'm just thinking about how the insurance would stand if he's not attached to the club somehow yet playing u21 league games. You can use weekly contracts within the 21s set up as they're normally used when bringing trialists in. May also be the reason why he was listed as 'trialist' in the last line up. 

He stays at the club that way then if we have a defensive crisis around November then we have a ready made replacement until January who's fully fit and been training around the first team

Genuine question, probably for @Tylluan to answer... why do we very rarely see any of the youngsters truly integrated into the first team. You see it at lots of clubs but hardly with us. Eg Bailey... if he is that highly rated why not stick him in if we struggle for goals... the old if your good enough your old enough adage.. is it they aren't actually good enough or just various managers don't fancy them? We didn't do it with Hirst and maybe his career would have gone a different path if we had of... just something thats been bugging me more and more. 

4 hours ago, Canterburyowl said:

Genuine question, probably for @Tylluan to answer... why do we very rarely see any of the youngsters truly integrated into the first team. You see it at lots of clubs but hardly with us. Eg Bailey... if he is that highly rated why not stick him in if we struggle for goals... the old if your good enough your old enough adage.. is it they aren't actually good enough or just various managers don't fancy them? We didn't do it with Hirst and maybe his career would have gone a different path if we had of... just something thats been bugging me more and more. 

That is on the past managers, I believe Xisco will offer more chances to them.

Bailey is just coming back from a double hernia operation and the rigours of men's football for a just turned 18 year old would do more harm than good at this stage in his recovery.

Hirst was fucking raw when he broke through and him leaving was always about money.

@Canterburyowl Basically what @Reesh has said. 

With Hirst take a step back and look at his progression. It's taken till he's 24 for him to come through enough to hold down a regular position in a 1st team environment similar to ours. He was shocking on loan at Rotherham, a bit part player at Portsmouth (injuries got him a regular start) and no one took a gamble taking him from Leicester when they were trying to get rid. I think Hirst had to do a lot of quick growing up when his Leicester contract ended. Ipswich were very unsure at first, even though they'd had him in loan. 

If Hirst had come through somewhere like Cambridge then he'd probably have been playing 1st team at 18. If he'd been at Man Utd's academy he'd probably have been let go at 21. 

Cadamarteri isn't ready for full on first team pitch time yet. As @Reesh has said, he's just coming back from injury. If he's fit enough I'd like to see him go on loan in January but it has to be the right club and environment. He could save us a lot of money next season. For players like Bailey I wish the old Combination League format was still around. 

Regarding the rest of the academy. They simply weren't good enough. Jos's experiment, when he came in, showed that and you only have to look at where certain players are now. Take two players who came through at the same time. Brennan stayed and never really got a look in. Liam Shaw left, struggled on loan in Scotland and is now wandering round League 1 on loan. It'll be interesting to see where both end up when their contracts run out. 

I've been a strong detractor of our academy set up and I still hate it but it is getting better. Shipston, Maltby, Glover, Almi-Adetoro, Phuthi, Fusire, Cadamarteri and Charles all have a chance of making it. Whether it's with us, who knows. Then you've got Moses, Rodrigues, Thornton, Da Costa all showing a lot of promise. Then there's Caelan Cadamarteri who's only 13 but already been offered a scholarship contract that kicks in when he's 16. 

But these kids all have agents and sometimes it might not be the right agent for the player at that time. I refer you back to Hirst. 

• Like 2

It’s a shame the all Hirst thing fell to bits. If he had listened to the right folk he COULD have had a go here as we all know. Imagine the adulation if he’d have even been half the player his dad was…

But. He’ll be back today. Waiting to accept the boos, and all the shit. Which again. Could have been VERY different.

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

It’s a shame the all Hirst thing fell to bits. If he had listened to the right folk he COULD have had a go here as we all know. Imagine the adulation if he’d have even been half the player his dad was…

But. He’ll be back today. Waiting to accept the boos, and all the shit. Which again. Could have been VERY different.

In all honesty I don't think he would have made it here and it's not just him. We've had some horrendous injury problems up front and no manager has called up the kids. We've played half fit forwards and players out of position instead.

On 16/09/2023 at 14:08, Tylluan said:

In all honesty I don't think he would have made it here and it's not just him. We've had some horrendous injury problems up front and no manager has called up the kids. We've played half fit forwards and players out of position instead.

That's why I said COULD. Not WOULD. 

But, there's an argument even if he got a chance, he'd forever be in his Dad's shadow and always not be able to live up to the hype.

• Like 1