Old photographs

Following the "success" of my 1979/80 promotion pics I thought I would post a few more of my mates pics from the day. He was (and still is) a keen photographer and preferred taking black and white pics to colour because he could develop them himself rather than some trendy fashionable reason

July 1976 - Shipp Cup - pre season tourament invented by Cambridge and included Peterborough and Lincoln - we won all three games and therefore THE cup

This is the 3-2 home win against Peterborough - 3,275 - Feely, Prenergast, Potts

Mick Prendergast.jpg

Peter Feely.jpg

Phil Henson.jpg

• Like 2

3-3 draw away at Notts County November 1974 - 14,170 - McMordie 2, Potts

Colin Harvey - Fred McIver (our worst player ever?) - Hugh Dowd - Peter Springett and "friend"

The home "end" is behind the goal on the McIver pic - just some of the Wednesday fans are on the terrace on the Dowd pic

Colin Harvey.jpg

Fred McIver.jpg

Hugh Dowd.jpg

Peter Springett.jpg

19 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

3-3 draw away at Notts County November 1974 - 14,170 - McMordie 2, Potts

Colin Harvey - Fred McIver (our worst player ever?) - Hugh Dowd - Peter Springett and "friend"

The home "end" is behind the goal on the McIver pic - just some of the Wednesday fans are on the terrace on the Dowd pic

Colin Harvey.jpg

Fred McIver.jpg

Hugh Dowd.jpg

Peter Springett.jpg

Got nicked at this game, bastards.

1 hour ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Fans and players outside Hillsborough April 1975

Alan Thompson - Eric Potts - Hugh Dowd - John Holsgrove/Colin Harvey - The Legend that was/is Rodger Wylde

Alan Thompson.jpg

Eric Potts.jpg

High Dowd.jpg

John Holsgrove and Colin Harvey.jpg

Rodger Wylde.jpg

Fans.jpg

Thought Barnsley had been called into preseason training early 

Seen pics with the cooling towers beyond the Kop a few times 

Definitely one of those industrial structures I had completely forgotten had existed round there 

The ground regulations strictly forbid cameras etc - so those without the press pass would have had to be discretely taken, I guess why photos are a rare commodity on actual match days from personal archives  

1 hour ago, Billysboy said:

No, they'd just equalised when they got me and marched me behind goal, by the time I'd got from one corner flag to the other they were fucking winning 3-1🤣

All scored by (former Aberdeen?) striker Ian Scanlon: something like the then 2nd fastest hat-trick of all time? (All off the top without checking.)  

We were at that Notts County away 3-3.  I think it was during the previous season's 5-1 win there that we discovered the joys of wooden floored main stands. Whilst enjoying a very early session of proto-bouncing, I actually tried to stop. As no-one else stopped, I simply got twanged back into the air anyway!  🙃

• Like 1

This is great stuff Harry.

Takes me back to trips from East Yorkshire to my Grandparents in Shiregreen on Saturdays and pressuring them to take me to the match. Very happy days despite the results (until Big Jack took charge) 😁

36 minutes ago, Greno said:

This is great stuff Harry.

Takes me back to trips from East Yorkshire to my Grandparents in Shiregreen on Saturdays and pressuring them to take me to the match. Very happy days despite the results (until Big Jack took charge) 😁

How long was the trip, can't imagine a Pony & Trap motoring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Reesh said:

How long was the trip, can't imagine a Pony & Trap motoring.

About an hour as my Saffer step father was driving and wanted to conserve fuel.

It was Water Buffalo & Trap btw. He was a proper Jaap 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HarrySpeakup said:

The first set of pics are of course Prendergast, Feely (our worst player ever?) and Henson

At long last someone who agrees with me .  Cows arses, barn doors , banjos or mandolins. All the same to our Peter Feely.   Was at a match when he was having his usual mare and an old chap next me shouted  " nar then Feely get them boots off , arl tek em ter mi allotment . Mi tomaters erl move quicker growin in em than tha will waitin fert ball ter hit thi".  

• Haha 1