Can we Gloucs over the FGR defeat on Wednesday - Cheltenham match thread

Reesh

After losing in Gloucestershire at Forest Green on Sunday we head back there on Wednesday to face their rivals Cheltenham Town.

The lesser spotted Almen Abdi Wilks may be back at last for our trip to the Johnny Rocks stadium, if we play like we did Sunday I'll be self medicating on a rock of crack at full time.

Safe journey to those travelling down. A nice friendly club and I would imagine there will be a few local Wednesdayites in the home areas (including the prawn sandwich brigade, ahem).

They are on a good little run but one of their best players (Bonds) is away on international duty. As we know Alfie May is smashing them in from everywhere right now so best not let him have a shot.

They play the same system as us and their wingbacks are very quick but overall we have more quality. Let’s hope we can make it show this time.

The key for tonight is everyone to properly focus. I don't think anything was underestimated in the preparation for the FGR game, Moore made a point of emphasising that. But something was off attitude wise, nothing more than why the fuck are we here middle of fields, on a Sunday morning, playing in front of 5k and I had one hours less sleep. 

As an aside Bannan became a Dad again (presume yesterday)and that imminent arrival you can fully understand being a mental distraction on Sunday

But our fans in the stadium tonight need to play their part. Get behind them, not on their backs

57 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The key for tonight is everyone to properly focus. I don't think anything was underestimated in the preparation for the FGR game, Moore made a point of emphasising that. But something was off attitude wise, nothing more than why the fuck are we here middle of fields, on a Sunday morning, playing in front of 5k and I had one hours less sleep. 

As an aside Bannan became a Dad again (presume yesterday)and that imminent arrival you can fully understand being a mental distraction on Sunday

But our fans in the stadium tonight need to play their part. Get behind them, not on their backs

Another one 'victim blaming'.  We were so spread out around the 'stadium' that I doubt they even heard owt - the odd one fetching the ball perhaps - but mostly individuals shouting anguished conflicting stuff until afterwards when they came across clapping. They heard stuff then and one at least didn't like it.  But there was no co-ordinated chant, no "You're not fit to wear the shirt" of previous times, which in context of that performance against those opponents would have been deserved. But in context of our season most certainly wouldn't have been.

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I don't like to use circumstances as an excuse but do think timing of kick off, clocks alterations and surroundings had an influence and were a bit of a leveler.   I absolutely detest early kick offs so imagine the players do - which is strange as when I coached my lads team preferred 10am kick offs. 

Does not excuse the lacklustre performance of some though. 

I woke up in the night stressing about results.  Not done this in years even when at the other end of tables.  Its stressful being in front.

Was on about our form and it took my Blade colleague who to be fair is pretty level headed to give some clarity.  He was saying you don't go on a 23 game unbeaten run then suddenly become a bad team "You'll be Reyt" !

Referee: JAMES OLDHAM
Assistants: Darren Wilding and Daniel Flynn
Fourth Official : Robert Lewis

Mr Oldham has officiated 24 games this season.

Shown: 86 Yellow cards and 6 reds

last time he reffed us is worryingly Peterborough away earlier this season when he sent off Reece James. 

4 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Another one 'victim blaming'.  We were so spread out around the 'stadium' that I doubt they even heard owt - the odd one fetching the ball perhaps - but mostly individuals shouting anguished conflicting stuff until afterwards when they came across clapping. They heard stuff then and one at least didn't like it.  But there was no co-ordinated chant, no "You're not fit to wear the shirt" of previous times, which in context of that performance against those opponents would have been deserved. But in context of our season most certainly wouldn't have been.

Crikey hardly victim blaming - I am suggesting tonight the fans there play their part

Moore clearly doesn't trust Shipston but I'd have played him v FGR and tonight. Obviously not going to but from little I've seen he's comfortable on the ball very decent technique and physical looks up to it. 

I appreciate bit of pressure on team now but it would send a message to thd others, and more importantly to Shipston himself. 

Can't do any worse than FDB, Bakinson etc 

James played a few games as defensive mid for Moore at Donny. Decent stats in there as well. 

I don't think Moore trusts any of the 21s and Shipston is just filling a place until Paterson and/or Wilks is back. Whilst I can understand the hesitancy of the situation and the probable "what the fuck is he doing now?" attitude some of our fans would exhibit if he did put him on, I think Shipston is as good as Mighten was at this level if not better. 

3 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Crikey hardly victim blaming - I am suggesting tonight the fans there play their part

I read the final words of the post I quoted as a sort of, "in contrast to on Sunday".  I obviously agree with fans playing their part tonight.  👍

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Referee: JAMES OLDHAM
Assistants: Darren Wilding and Daniel Flynn
Fourth Official : Robert Lewis

Mr Oldham has officiated 24 games this season.

Shown: 86 Yellow cards and 6 reds

last time he reffed us is worryingly Peterborough away earlier this season when he sent off Reece James. 

To be fair that was a sending off. 

1 hour ago, JBO said:

How is it must win?

What if we lose tonight then win the next 8?

Because most the teams around us are picking up points on a regular basis. At this point of the season momentum is huge as was evident when we pipped the pigs to promotion before

1 minute ago, Delseeds said:

Because most the teams around us are picking up points on a regular basis. At this point of the season momentum is huge as was evident when we pipped the pigs to promotion before

We were picking up points on a regular basis for nearly 6 months. Still lost a couple of games.  Maybe the other teams will. Nobody knows what will happen and momentum is a myth and simply does not exist in football 

2 minutes ago, JBO said:

We were picking up points on a regular basis for nearly 6 months. Still lost a couple of games.  Maybe the other teams will. Nobody knows what will happen and momentum is a myth and simply does not exist in football 

I think it largely does, through the medium of confidence.  

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

James played a few games as defensive mid for Moore at Donny. Decent stats in there as well. 

I don't think Moore trusts any of the 21s and Shipston is just filling a place until Paterson and/or Wilks is back. Whilst I can understand the hesitancy of the situation and the probable "what the fuck is he doing now?" attitude some of our fans would exhibit if he did put him on, I think Shipston is as good as Mighten was at this level if not better. 

I think Shipston SHOULD be more than filling a place. He probably isn't according to DM but there is a player in there. Different type completely to Mighten......thankfully 

24 minutes ago, JBO said:

I think it does exist, positivity breeds positivity and when you're on a good run you're likely to keep it going if the attitude is right, similar as to how teams find it hard to break a string of defeats or bad results.

Rest of our games are cup finals, must wins. If we keep winning... balls to what other teams do... But if they see us start to drop points they will use it to motivate them in their games without a doubt, considering we once looked out of sight with our run of good results and games in hand

A few ermmm, bizarre changes there which I wouldn’t have predicted or expected.

But I have more faith in the gaffer than I did 6 months or so ago, so in Moore I trust! 

Let’s do ‘em Wednesday and get back to winning ways! 🦉🔵️ WAWAW 🔵🦉

I think Chelters has already mentioned that their forward line is small and mobile and their wing backs are also nippy so I can understand Hunt coming in for pace and Flint being 'rested' but I hope Bakinson and Vaulks provide a decent screen for Iorfa. Stockdale coming back in is possibly to talk the back line through the game better than Dawson could. 

• Like 1