RIP Motty

NorwichOwl

2 minutes ago, Skamp said:

RIP indeed.

Image of him stood on a pitch in a foot of snow in blizzard conditions wearing his sheepskin coat explaining that he thinks the game might be called off is a memory I will always have of him 🙂

Just seen that in a tribute on BBC News channel. It was at Wycombe's ground.  

I have to admit that Motty used to irritate me at times but look at his record: 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships, (now called Euros), and 29 (I think it said) F.A. Cup Finals.  That's just incredible.  

RIP.  

43 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Just seen that in a tribute on BBC News channel. It was at Wycombe's ground.  

I have to admit that Motty used to irritate me at times but look at his record: 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships, (now called Euros), and 29 (I think it said) F.A. Cup Finals.  That's just incredible.  

RIP.  

Won nowt though.

I'll be honest, sorry for his family and friends, but absolute garbage as a commentator with no tactical insight at all. Another example of the way in which longevity at the BBC is considered a symbol of greatness despite all indications to the contrary. There's lasses on BT Sport i'd have rather heard commentate than him

10 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I know someone who interviewed Motty in his house. Said he was an absolute gent and has never met anyone before or since as knowledgable about football. Then they went to his local and got bladdered with him 🤣🤣

I have probably been in that pub !

Anyway if you look on the BBC website there is a great video of Motson talking to Brian Clough.

Very salient points by the latter about football analysts, criticism of refs. Fair to say he would not have been a fan of VAR 

The three commentators that have stood out in my lifetime are Brian Moore, Motty and Martin Tyler. Closely followed by Clive Tyldesley. Only Tyler and Tyldesley are still going now, and I’m not convinced that Tyler has long left in the hot seat.

All of them are legends of football commentary, alongside Alan Green and Mike Ingham of five live.

I’ve met Motty, lovely man, football fanatic. RIP.

The point is that 5 Live tries these days to push yoof, not so much the commentators who are pretty good but in the supplementary shows. Using You tubers and the like that simply have fuck all broadcasting capabilty 

When I first listened the likes of Peter Jones, Bryon Butler, with the football, Brian Johnson, John Arlott on the cricket. It did not matter they were old fellas 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl71 said:

Motty died peacefully in his sleep…and incidentally he’s the 17th sports journalist to do that this century.  😉

His style wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but he was a character.  Belatedly RIP.

Apparently the dullest dinner host imaginable, unless you wanted football stats after dessert