The ‘Kop band’

30 years now we have had a camp, embarrassing brass band, will they ever give it up or are they now part and parcel of the club ?  

Some argue that without them the ground would be even more quiet and while I accept that Wednesday fans are not especially noisy (at least at home) I can’t see how it would make much difference o d way of the other. 

8 minutes ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

30 years now we have had a camp, embarrassing brass band, will they ever give it up or are they now part and parcel of the club ?  

Some argue that without them the ground would be even more quiet and while I accept that Wednesday fans are not especially noisy (at least at home) I can’t see how it would make much difference o d way of the other. 

Hate the *****

6 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

This. 

Was ok with it at the start and a lad I know was in it but as soon as they started taking coin from elsewhere then they stopped being the Kop band. 

The exact point I'd done with em was the day they went to Anfield for England when we were playing away the same day

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Reesh said:

download.jpeg

The ginger drummer in blue is Jim Priestley the lad I know. Used to play in the same football team as him. He was in a band called Bhuna. The other drummer, in the orange away shirt with the goatee, looks like another fella I know, Mick Denton, but I didn't know he was in it. 

1 minute ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

Well I don’t know when the vote was? It was quite some years ago wasn’t it? Surely it can’t remain unquestioned ! 

The whole atmosphere at S6 needs some refreshing ! The start point is to get rid of these wankers, then go from there 

Les in 09

Choices were

Get rid

Keep

Keep sometimes.

Get rid won so they added the results of the other two options to bring em back.

For all his batshit plans, old ‘regards Lee’ couldn’t stand the band. Anyhow,14 years is another generation of fans and high time for bringing it back on the agenda. 

An odd time to post this you may say but for all the high spirits of tonight’s win, and I’m hardly a glass half empty by nature, for me tonight was a stunning reminder of how much damage 23 years out of the PL has done to Sheffield Wednesday. We’re absolutely mired in a time warp. Almost like a prison sentence. 

Ground unchanged in decades (Yep, we all know why) Wednesday fans arriving 2 mins before kick off, pissing off again on 82 minutes, tons of empty seats on matchday, another limp atmosphere while the band thump away as self appointed architects of the crowd.

Could easily have been the same fixture in 1998.

Much change needed, absolute root & branch at this club.

People still (just about) talk about Wednesday as a big club, but if we don’t get back into the big time soon - and ideally stay there and re establish themselves, I really fear the club will irrecoverably fall away. Some would argue we have already. 

6 minutes ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

For all his batshit plans, old ‘regards Lee’ couldn’t stand the band. Anyhow,14 years is another generation of fans and high time for bringing it back on the agenda. 

An odd time to post this you may say but for all the high spirits of tonight’s win, and I’m hardly a glass half empty by nature, for me tonight was a stunning reminder of how much damage 23 years out of the PL has done to Sheffield Wednesday. We’re absolutely mired in a time warp. Almost like a prison sentence. 

Ground unchanged in decades (Yep, we all know why) Wednesday fans arriving 2 mins before kick off, pissing off again on 82 minutes, tons of empty seats on matchday, another limp atmosphere while the band thump away as self appointed architects of the crowd.

Could easily have been the same fixture in 1998.

Much change needed, absolute root & branch at this club.

People still (just about) talk about Wednesday as a big club, but if we don’t get back into the big time soon - and ideally stay there and re establish themselves, I really fear the club will irrecoverably fall away. Some would argue we have already. 

Keep away from the medicine cabinet tonight. No sharp objects either. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tbf the atmosphere last night on the Kop was started without the band. Lot of space up the top near the camera position, so young uns just stood next to each other. That makes such a difference, well being underdogs always gets us behind the team as well.

But unreserved seating for under 20s only in that back middle part of the Kop would be one way to try and sort the quiet games

It would make a difference on the pitch as it did last night

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf the atmosphere last night on the Kop was started without the band. Lot of space up the top near the camera position, so young uns just stood next to each other. That makes such a difference, well being underdogs always gets us behind the team as well.

But unreserved seating for under 20s only in that back middle part of the Kop would be one way to try and sort the quiet games

It would make a difference on the pitch as it did last night

It would certainly be a start, having got rid of the brass band. It’s now 30 years of embarrassing Wednesday, time to go and go for good. I’ve never understood at all why some fans like this kind of thing. 

Forgetting the band for a moment, we’re stick a few things that don’t help the atmosphere, for a start, the ground is too big, for us. 
A fact we may not like and one I’ve begrudgingly accepted but we really aren’t as big a club as many believed. And we have 4 pretty large stands that are distinct from each other and a combined 40k seats, (irrespective of perceptions around capacity issues) the ground remains as it always was, making it hard to make a good atmosphere when the ground is normally only 50-60% full.For the last 30 years, a 31k capacity ground would’ve been ample for probably 90% of SWFCs games - maybe more. A ‘big club in waiting’ would’ve sold out against Newcastle. 

Don’t get me wrong, our gates (for all the crap we’ve put up with as fans for decades) are creditable.
But 25k, which seems to be a solid, consistent crowd for us for is some way off a ‘big club’ today. 45k plus is probably the start point.
Ipswich get similar crowds to us, Derby even higher, in the division above, Norwich, Boro similar, nobody really regards them as big clubs.

For me the big unanswered question is what kind of gates would SWFC attract today in the Premier League?. I used to believe we’d sell out the home ends but I’m not sure about that anymore. 

58 minutes ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

It would certainly be a start, having got rid of the brass band. It’s now 30 years of embarrassing Wednesday, time to go and go for good. I’ve never understood at all why some fans like this kind of thing. 

Forgetting the band for a moment, we’re stick a few things that don’t help the atmosphere, for a start, the ground is too big, for us. 
A fact we may not like and one I’ve begrudgingly accepted but we really aren’t as big a club as many believed. And we have 4 pretty large stands that are distinct from each other and a combined 40k seats, (irrespective of perceptions around capacity issues) the ground remains as it always was, making it hard to make a good atmosphere when the ground is normally only 50-60% full.For the last 30 years, a 31k capacity ground would’ve been ample for probably 90% of SWFCs games - maybe more. A ‘big club in waiting’ would’ve sold out against Newcastle. 

Don’t get me wrong, our gates (for all the crap we’ve put up with as fans for decades) are creditable.
But 25k, which seems to be a solid, consistent crowd for us for is some way off a ‘big club’ today. 45k plus is probably the start point.
Ipswich get similar crowds to us, Derby even higher, in the division above, Norwich, Boro similar, nobody really regards them as big clubs.

For me the big unanswered question is what kind of gates would SWFC attract today in the Premier League?. I used to believe we’d sell out the home ends but I’m not sure about that anymore. 

www.waccoe.com

Off you fuck 

55 minutes ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

You're talking about one club cities/towns there CYL.

Also..Our ground is as we all know, old. Much more so than 30 years. Our crowds historically were high enough to justify the size of it IIRC. We were the home of FA Cup semi finals and other major football events, like World Cup and Euros games. To change it in that last 30 years would have cost probably as much as a new one, and we've not had a pot to piss in. 

Football isn't the same anymore. I don't think we'd sell out every week in the Premier League, not all clubs do that are up there. The big games we would, especially in the first season. And that would be because there are more transient fans / day-trippers in the top flight, who come and go more than the wind. 

“Football isn't the same anymore. I don't think we'd sell out every week in the Premier League, not all clubs do that are up there. The big games we would, especially in the first season. And that would be because there are more transient fans / day-trippers in the top flight, who come and go more than the wind”

It certainly isn’t, and depending on what point in time you’re referring to, it’s very different than  since we were in the PL. But generally for the last few years PL fixtures are well over 90% of stadium capacity - whoever is playing. See year to date. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/besucherzahlen/pokalwettbewerb/GB1

Of course we all know why the club hasn’t reformed the stadium. And sure we’d sell out against Man U, Liverpool, maybe one or two others (but  we always did) but from the current PL, if SWFC were there today, I’d expect us to be sub 30k against Palace, Brighton, Bournemouth, Southampton Fulham etc. 

Segued a little from the point about the band but I guess, but in summary, I’m saying we don’t need a band, they’ve been here so long they’ve done permanent harm to the match day atmosphere. But on a related point, we equally don’t need a 40k stadium, and quite possibly never did.

Edited by ChineseYellowLorry

20 minutes ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

“Football isn't the same anymore. I don't think we'd sell out every week in the Premier League, not all clubs do that are up there. The big games we would, especially in the first season. And that would be because there are more transient fans / day-trippers in the top flight, who come and go more than the wind”

It certainly isn’t, and depending on what point in time you’re referring to, it’s very different than  since we were in the PL. But generally for the last few years PL fixtures are well over 90% of stadium capacity - whoever is playing. See year to date. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/besucherzahlen/pokalwettbewerb/GB1

Of course we all know why the club hasn’t reformed the stadium. And sure we’d sell out against Man U, Liverpool, maybe one or two others (but  we always did) but from the current PL, if SWFC were there today, I’d expect us to be sub 30k against Palace, Brighton, Bournemouth, Southampton Fulham etc. 

Segued a little from the point about the band but I guess, but in summary, I’m saying we don’t need a band, they’ve been here so long they’ve done permanent harm to the match day atmosphere. But on a related point, we equally don’t need a 40k stadium, and quite possibly never did.

But, that's what I'm saying it DID need to be so big.  Our crowds were bigger back when the stadium was built, and as I said it was also a crucial venue for Semi finals and international games. Even if a circa 30k stadium may do the job for the most part now.

Re the point about 90% capacity, I get that. But I do think day trippers have a lot to do with it. Even some of the big clubs don't sell out. Look at Man City... They were selling Champions League tickets for £20 against Juve and PSG, a few years back and I know quite a few that went over because they wanted to see Ronaldo, Messi and co. They also are very often derided for having a crap atmosphere because their hardcore support is almost downbeat as there's so many day trippers who don't get involved.

RE your point about our attendances....

We were sub 30k for many Prem games last time we were there too. So what you're saying about those opponents would likely be true, maybe post the first season back if we get there. 

If we had a rebuild, maybe it would be better being a bit smaller but not much. AS I think if we moved from where we are, to somewhere near the M1 for example like so many have mentioned before, we'd attract more arguably because of the better transport options/links and ease of access. 

Re the band and the atmosphere... Things aren't as organic as they used to be. That's IMO a problem at bigger clubs/modern football across the country. The band made things less sporadic in our case, but so has goal music, 'light shows' fireworks and all the stuff that goes with the Premier League, marketing and business. . But go further down the leagues, you still get more of the 'traditional' stuff heard at football games for years and still in touch with the communities it always was.

On the pitch, it's gone from a game of contact, to one of minimal contact. Technology which doesn't help a lot of the time. There's a real apathy in many places for the game, I still love Wednesday, always will, but my urgency and desire isn't the same anymore and a lot of it is because of how everything is so sensationalised. The game did that for itself, it didn't need a fanfare. The sport did the talking.

11 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

But, that's what I'm saying it DID need to be so big.  Our crowds were bigger back when the stadium was built, and as I said it was also a crucial venue for Semi finals and international games. Even if a circa 30k stadium may do the job for the most part now.

Re the point about 90% capacity, I get that. But I do think day trippers have a lot to do with it. Even some of the big clubs don't sell out. Look at Man City... They were selling Champions League tickets for £20 against Juve and PSG, a few years back and I know quite a few that went over because they wanted to see Ronaldo, Messi and co. They also are very often derided for having a crap atmosphere because their hardcore support is almost downbeat as there's so many day trippers who don't get involved.

RE your point about our attendances....

We were sub 30k for many Prem games last time we were there too. So what you're saying about those opponents would likely be true, maybe post the first season back if we get there. 

If we had a rebuild, maybe it would be better being a bit smaller but not much. AS I think if we moved from where we are, to somewhere near the M1 for example like so many have mentioned before, we'd attract more arguably because of the better transport options/links and ease of access. 

Re the band and the atmosphere... Things aren't as organic as they used to be. That's IMO a problem at bigger clubs/modern football across the country. The band made things less sporadic in our case, but so has goal music, 'light shows' fireworks and all the stuff that goes with the Premier League, marketing and business. . But go further down the leagues, you still get more of the 'traditional' stuff heard at football games for years and still in touch with the communities it always was.

On the pitch, it's gone from a game of contact, to one of minimal contact. Technology which doesn't help a lot of the time. There's a real apathy in many places for the game, I still love Wednesday, always will, but my urgency and desire isn't the same anymore and a lot of it is because of how everything is so sensationalised. The game did that for itself, it didn't need a fanfare. The sport did the talking.

Prime example of how crowds have risen

Pigs got 32k first season back

Leicester went from 18k to 32k

Saints

Hull

Derby

Etc

Etc

2 hours ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

what do you think chelsea's newcastkle crowds would be now if they'd had the last 30 years weve had?

It’s a bit of a difficult and rather academic question to answer, although it chimes with the first remark I made higher up the thread about the huge damage done to SWFC from being so long in decline.

Newcastle’s gates would be unlikely to be where ours are if that’s what youre suggesting. They’ve been - at times the very best supported team in England (depending on how far back you measure it rather than isolating a few seasons in the 80s where thier gates were comparable to ours.) For all their redeveloped ground and chases for silverware, they haven’t actually won anything in over 50 years, so if you’re going to be balanced about it, it would be hard to call them glory hunters. 

6 minutes ago, ChineseYellowLorry said:

It’s a bit of a difficult and rather academic question to answer, although it chimes with the first remark I made higher up the thread about the huge damage done to SWFC from being so long in decline.

Newcastle’s gates would be unlikely to be where ours are if that’s what youre suggesting. They’ve been - at times the very best supported team in England (depending on how far back you measure it rather than isolating a few seasons in the 80s where thier gates were comparable to ours.) For all their redeveloped ground and chases for silverware, they haven’t actually won anything in over 50 years, so if you’re going to be balanced about it, it would be hard to call them glory hunters. 

1 club City again

Huge catchment area with few other clubs competing.

I smell pork here

3 minutes ago, BraddersTim said:

Tyreik Wright recalled by Villa from Bradford where he'd been very very good and loaned straight to Plymouth FFS.

A winger, played 17, scored 4 and City were hoping to get him on a permanent deal.

Not sure the band need more members

• Haha 2