The Barry Corr Derby match thread -Cambridge 02/01/23

Reesh

I’m not getting carried away about today.

That Cambridge team has 8 first teamers missing. They’ve recalled defenders from lower leagues and only named 5 subs. They were awful defensively, susceptible to straight balls, and balls down the side, and also the switch of play. They also had a non existent midfield without the ball.

But, you can only beat what’s in front of you. It could and should have been more, four or five very good chances missed on top of the five we scored.

Some good displays. Windass with the hat trick, Vaulks and Byers excellent, Palmer and James very good, Wilkes was a threat all afternoon. Pato put a shift in.

It was a bit of a coaster of a game. Most pleasing was that the midfield two looked very comfortable without Bannan. I’ll again say, Bannan is the best player in the division by quite a way too, but we need to be less reliant on him and be willing to change personnel in midfield if teams put the clamp on him.

Critically, we’ve hit the top two, and we have a no pressure game at the weekend. And we’ve picked up no knocks or injuries from today.

Excellent day at the office.  I can’t think of a negative.  Byers adds a lot to the side. Dawson did little wrong.  Vaulks excellent.  Wilks seems to be finally coming to the party.  Windass seems to be enjoying the greater freedom that Bazza’s absence gives him.  The biggest, and possibly only, cause for concern I have, is that injuries have made our back three a little bit small.  Unless Ihekwe’s return is fairly close then we need to dip into the loan market ahead of the run of games we’ve got against promotion rivals, from Barnsley away onwards. 

31 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’m not getting carried away about today.

That Cambridge team has 8 first teamers missing. They’ve recalled defenders from lower leagues and only named 5 subs. They were awful defensively, susceptible to straight balls, and balls down the side, and also the switch of play. They also had a non existent midfield without the ball.

But, you can only beat what’s in front of you. It could and should have been more, four or five very good chances missed on top of the five we scored.

Some good displays. Windass with the hat trick, Vaulks and Byers excellent, Palmer and James very good, Wilkes was a threat all afternoon. Pato put a shift in.

It was a bit of a coaster of a game. Most pleasing was that the midfield two looked very comfortable without Bannan. I’ll again say, Bannan is the best player in the division by quite a way too, but we need to be less reliant on him and be willing to change personnel in midfield if teams put the clamp on him.

Critically, we’ve hit the top two, and we have a no pressure game at the weekend. And we’ve picked up no knocks or injuries from today.

Whilst those missing for Cambridge helped us, I thought today really showed our strength in depth of the squad. Particularly if we can get some of them up to speed, like Hunt, Wilks 

Meaning it really helps us when there are 3 games in a short space of time 

Just got back.

No complaints today as we finally give a side a bashing when we’re on top. While I understand they were absolutely ravaged with injuries, we’re usually the ones that lose games like that or struggle to get over the line.. Not today.

McGuinness once again, just throw the cheque book at him. He’s so much better than this division. James, organised, honest, and can play too. 
Vaulks stopped them playing for the most part and maybe should have scored as his efforts deserved it.

Byers. Get him a 5 year deal. Now. 
Paterson, worked very hard again and deserved a goal but it wouldn’t drop for him. 
Windass had his game today. We’ve not seen one like that from him for a while. But fair play. Three very cool and composed finishes. As for people moaning about him not celebrating. Get in the bin.

three wins from 3 before a break for Cup football. Unbeaten in 13 now isn’t it too?

Mo(o)re the point, that’s two games with more energy, more effort and here’s to it continuing.

On 01/01/2023 at 11:32, M42Owl said:

It’s not too long ago that Cambridge were on the fringe of the play off places.

They didn’t do too badly at Derby the other day.

1-0 to Wednesday. Nervy last 30 minutes

Or, 

They've won 3, drawn 2, in the last 16. 

They’ve got a few injuries.

We were a little bit improved last time out, and that’ll continue.

4-0 to Wednesday. Smith on the scoresheet again, and a few minutes for Famewo and Adeniran.

👀     😯

Vaulks was excellent today. His best game for Wednesday so far.

Wilks’ best game for Wednesday too, but he was still a bit hit and miss. Very reluctant to take his fullback on despite his pace.

Despite the opposition presenting little threat, the defenders were excellent. McGuiness won everything with little fuss, but Palmer and James were a class above. Between those two and Vaulks for MotM. I’ll go with Palmer.

And a few pluses towards the end with the substitutions. Hunt looked his best for ages, Dennis getting fitter and minutes for Famewo too. Then a debut for Shipston. Not enough time to shine, but didn’t look out of place.

43 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Vaulks was excellent today. His best game for Wednesday so far.

Wilks’ best game for Wednesday too, but he was still a bit hit and miss. Very reluctant to take his fullback on despite his pace.

Despite the opposition presenting little threat, the defenders were excellent. McGuiness won everything with little fuss, but Palmer and James were a class above. Between those two and Vaulks for MotM. I’ll go with Palmer.

And a few pluses towards the end with the substitutions. Hunt looked his best for ages, Dennis getting fitter and minutes for Famewo too. Then a debut for Shipston. Not enough time to shine, but didn’t look out of place.

Re Wilks. He was reluctant until the second half, then he just waltzed past him for fun.

Good performance today and great to see us on the front foot.

But let’s not kid ourselves as to how poor and injury depleted Cambridge were. 

As has been said though, you can only beat what’s put in front of you and we certainly did that, and I hope it acts as a good run out, spirit raiser and confidence booster for some of our fringe players.

We won’t have an easier game than that this season though, and it was good to see other results go our way as well - the big win also boosts our goal difference column, which is a further positive given how tight things are at the top of the table.

Enjoyed the game and it was nice not to be chewing on my finger nails with nerves (or dropping to sleep) for a change.

Let’s hope there’s more to come in 2023! 😊

5 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

That's a bit harsh.....

😆

In all honesty H, do you think the side yesterday was a lot "weaker" than the one that lined up against FGR?

Keeper - Stockdale v Dawson - believe Stockdale is fit and the decision to start Dawson is a tactical one, so clearly DM sees that as stronger.

Defence - Ihekwe/Iorfa/McGuinness v Palmer/James/McGuinness - I'd say yesterday's was better balanced and ideally I'd probably have a mix of the two, although Iorfa would be my last pick.

Wing backs - Palmer/Neymarv v Wilks/Neymarv - FGR probably better balanced, but the style we played yesterday with Vaulks dropping back when the wing backs got on more than compensated imo.

Midfield - Bannan/Byers/Bakinson v  Vaulks/Byers/Windass - yesterday's Vaulks far better than any Bakinson for me, not a deal between Windass and Bannan imo, but I'd start Bannan if pressed.

Strikers - Gregory/Windass v Smith/Pato - Smith probably starts if him and Gregory are both fit. The other one is tricky as Windass was on the pitch, just somewhere else, but again not hugely weaker if we start Pato over Windass

Just now, Otto_Man said:

In all honesty H, do you think the side yesterday was a lot "weaker" than the one that lined up against FGR?

Keeper - Stockdale v Dawson - believe Stockdale is fit and the decision to start Dawson is a tactical one, so clearly DM sees that as stronger.

Defence - Ihekwe/Iorfa/McGuinness v Palmer/James/McGuinness - I'd say yesterday's was better balanced and ideally I'd probably have a mix of the two, although Iorfa would be my last pick.

Wing backs - Palmer/Neymarv v Wilks/Neymarv - FGR probably better balanced, but the style we played yesterday with Vaulks dropping back when the wing backs got on more than compensated imo.

Midfield - Bannan/Byers/Bakinson v  Vaulks/Byers/Windass - yesterday's Vaulks far better than any Bakinson for me, not a deal between Windass and Bannan imo, but I'd start Bannan if pressed.

Strikers - Gregory/Windass v Smith/Pato - Smith probably starts if him and Gregory are both fit. The other one is tricky as Windass was on the pitch, just somewhere else, but again not hugely weaker if we start Pato over Windass

I made myself laugh, that’s all as I imagined you said they were marginally bells. (Ends).

i was in Florida and not at the FGR game, so, couldn’t comment on it. 
But you make valid points.

Probably a comma away from making sense in my original post 😂

Not specifically aimed at you fella, I was just bemused that folks would consider the team v FGR to be massively stronger. For what it's worth Ihekwe, Stockdale and Bannan probably start in any "strongest" line up for me, but our strength in depth doesn't have any replacements too far behind IMO 

Edited by Otto_Man

5 hours ago, cheat said:

Don’t like that decision to be honest. Just a deflection and the shot was on target.

If Smith had played it then fair enough, but I don’t think he did.

It wasn't on target pal.

It was going Wide until it hit Smith. 

5 minutes ago, LiamOwl said:

I sat in the middle of that post for a good while there waiting for the page to load 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Sorry pal, very frustrating for me, so must be worse for people reading it. 😄

Just to add, i have done this part on my PC with no problems, so it looks like it only happens on the mobile phone.

Samsung if this is any help to anybody.

25 minutes ago, MAL said:

Just to add, i have done this part on my PC with no problems, so it looks like it only happens on the mobile phone.

Yep. The platform’s admin / techies Already aware of it. 
It is something within Samsung’s browser in their last update. 

1 minute ago, cheat said:

Other than at the game I’ve only seen it on a phone screen, so fair enough if it wasn’t on target.

I put it in the post that was deleted...

It would have missed by a fair bit.

They have a panel that look at these things, if it is off target then give it to the player it comes off last.

6 hours ago, MAL said:

Caches need cleansing mal.

Put it in a 40c gentle wash with medium spin and then an hour in the tumble dryer, should be reyt 

2 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Caches need cleansing mal.

Put it in a 40c gentle wash with medium spin and then an hour in the tumble dryer, should be reyt 

That's where I went wrong.

I had it on 60c for an hour. 

Then had it on spin for 2 hour. 

Then in the tumble dryer for 3 hour.

I'll never listen to her again 

• Haha 1