Italia 90 on Channel 4

43 minutes ago, Morley Owl said:

Did anybody watch this show last night. I was hoping for a bit more on the tournament rather than what seemed to be an hour long show with reminiscing hooligans. 

It’s a 3 part series the first was about all the bollox in the 80’s heysel etc funny it didn’t mention Hillsboro. 
was good and tbf England fans at the time same as me total *****.

12 hours ago, Morley Owl said:

Did anybody watch this show last night. I was hoping for a bit more on the tournament rather than what seemed to be an hour long show with reminiscing hooligans. 

Didn’t watch it. If that’s what it was then I’m glad I didn’t. I loved football back then, and it still fills me with joy thinking back. Italia 90 wasn’t the first World Cup I remember (1982 was) but it was the first that I absolutely loved. 

It was the first experience I’d had of the country (or certainly my little corner of Yorkshire) getting behind the national team. Cars with flags in them, pubs decked out with the flags and folks seemingly all walking about with England shirts on. Even when we lost to West Germany I remember folks driving cars driving around honking horns and chanting songs from their windows as they drove by. 

Gazza, Lineker, Platt, Robson, Waddle et al were all fantastic players and it was a good team that should have gone further (how often have we heard that!?)

Yes hooliganism was more of an issue back then, but it doesn’t for me need to be recalled in relation to that competition 

He was Minister for Sport in a Conservative government which portrayed itself as the party of law and order, serving a PM who hated football fans, and he basically encouraged brutality by the Italian police against England fans.  It wasn’t exactly out of context to point out that he was a Tory.

38 minutes ago, owl71 said:

He was Minister for Sport in a Conservative government which portrayed itself as the party of law and order, serving a PM who hated football fans, and he basically encouraged brutality by the Italian police against England fans.  It wasn’t exactly out of context to point out that he was a Tory.

Expressed a zero tolerance on pitch invasions, then invaded the pitch when Great Britain won the hockey gold at the Olympics.

But that was different for some reason.

6 hours ago, owl71 said:

The Miniature for Sport, as he became known.