David Stockdale

Reesh

Yesterday was his 500th career appearance apparently.

That was his 7th clean sheet in 13 games, he has taken some undue stick from sections of the fanbase this season for me.

I'll hold my hands up and say he's proved me wrong, I wasn't enamoured by the signing but his nous and experience is key this season also heard he is such a positive influence off the pitch. 

• Like 1

As I said at the time I just did not get the criticism of him after the Portsmouth game as I thought he was beaten by efforts that he couldn’t really be expected to stop. But there were plenty who did think he was at fault, including respected posters on here too not just the usual meathead know nothing fans, so there must have been something in it.

There does seem to be (and I’m not talking about on here now) some sort of agenda against him though from some of the fan base and I just don’t get it.

Valid criticism for me would be those times when he’s nearly cost us with the playing out for the back; but that’s down to our tactics imo, he’s doing that under orders.

But every time we concede there seems to be an element who decide it was all his fault, whilst I am genuinely struggling to think of any goal against that could definitely be pinned on him. I even heard the defeat to Barnsley being laid at his door.

I’m struggling to get my head around the negativity. If Westwood had been his immediate predecessor then I might get it, the comparison would be too strong to ignore and he’d suffer from that, but he replaced Peacock-Farrell for fuck’s sake.

Edited by cheat

1 minute ago, cheat said:

As I said at the time I just did not get the criticism of him after the Portsmouth game as I thought he was beaten by efforts that he couldn’t really be expected to stop. But there were plenty who did think he was at fault, including respected posters on here too not just the usual meathead know nothing fans, so there must have been something in it.

There does seem to be (and I’m not talking about on here now) some sort of agenda against him though from some of the fan base and I just don’t get it.

Valid criticism for me would be those times when he’s nearly cost us with the playing out for the back; but that’s down to our tactics imo, he’s doing that under orders.

But every time we concede there seems to be an element who decide it was all his fault, whilst I am genuinely struggling to think of any goal against that could definitely be pinned on him. I even heard the defeat to Barnsley being laid at his door.

I’m struggling to get my head around the negativity. It Westwood had been his immediate predecessor then I might get it, the comparison would be too strong to ignore and he’d suffer from that, but he replaced Peacock-Farrell for fuck’s sake.

I think he could have done better for the first goal in the week to be honest but that's about the only one I can think of.

He's the best keeper we've had from a 'footballing' point of view.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

I think he could have done better for the first goal in the week to be honest but that's about the only one I can think of.

That shot was 'straight at us' where we were stood, though below us too. It was one of those shots where the lad made perfect contact: absolutely creamed it. Stocky did everything right and got a full hand to it. It simply knocked his hand out of the way. 

I noticed on t.v. that the same player hammered one home yesterday. Looks a decent player.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheat said:

I’m struggling to get my head around the negativity. If Westwood had been his immediate predecessor then I might get it, the comparison would be too strong to ignore and he’d suffer from that, but he replaced Peacock-Farrell for fuck’s sake.

I remember one fan's description of him after the Pompey game: "Like a fat dog trying to jump on the settee."  It's not a phrase you'd forget.  He certainly saved our skins yesterday!

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

This I can definitely agree with. 
I don’t get the constant hammering of him from some folks. But then again, a scapegoat for everything is something some seem to yearn for. 

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I remember one fan's description of him after the Pompey game: "Like a fat dog trying to jump on the settee."  It's not a phrase you'd forget.  He certainly saved our skins yesterday!

Looking at him yesterday I think he's lost weight from that first game. He's certainly a lot fitter. 

3 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Can’t disagree with either of those statements but thought Henneghan should have done better too

100%

Clearly an asset, just needs to take responsibility and smash ball down the field away at Plymouth in the 90th minute 

True re Heneghan

5 hours ago, Reesh said:

Yesterday was his 500th career appearance apparently.

That was his 7th clean sheet in 13 games, he has taken some undue stick from sections of the fanbase this season for me.

I'll hold my hands up and say he's proved me wrong, I wasn't enamoured by the signing but his nous and experience is key this season also heard he is such a positive influence off the pitch. 

Didn’t you call him “dad bod”😂

Good signing and a good player, especially for this league!

Would we swap him for any other keeper in League One? I wouldn't. There are others playing out of their skin currently, like that kid at Plymouth, but they'd never be able to handle the pressure of expectation playing for a club like us where large swathes of the fans expect the title and it's the end of the world if any points are dropped.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kingys Ginger Mullet said:

Good signing and a good player, especially for this league!

Would we swap him for any other keeper in League One? I wouldn't. There are others playing out of their skin currently, like that kid at Plymouth, but they'd never be able to handle the pressure of expectation playing for a club like us where large swathes of the fans expect the title and it's the end of the world if any points are dropped.

And Cheltenham’s keeper on Saturday. Without him it would have been 5 or 6

This is where I want to give Moore credit. He’s signed players to a philosophy, and Stockdale is key to that. He’s brought in a keeper who’s distribution is first rate and fits with the football philosophy.

Just a couple of other comments.

1. His positioning is excellent, look at how many shots are straight at him.

2. He’s consistent with his decision making coming for crosses. So, as a defender, you know what he will do.

3. He’s got a big mouth on him.

There are better shot stoppers, there is no debating that, but in terms of everything else. Top drawer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Reesh said:

He is for sure. But is he a tad over confident ? Against Plymouth when he dragged it away from last man, crikey got bit lucky and before they scored he tried to play it out when it really need launching and ALL back line had a go at him.

He's certainly our best keeper, so obviously he plays, but for me he's an accident waiting to happen 

This luck thing is subjective. How many times has he had the ball stolen off him when he’s been confident enough to turn away from an attacker?

It’s just as easy to say, it’s an accident waiting to happen as it is, it’s an example of a player with confidence in his abilities. 
Yes, there have been times when his short passes have put us under pressure, but again, it’s the team’s tactic as instructed by the coaching staff.

I’m not suggesting in those occasions he shouldn’t/can’t use initiative, and blast clear but there’s time he has done that too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

This luck thing is subjective. How many times has he had the ball stolen off him when he’s been confident enough to turn away from an attacker?

It’s just as easy to say, it’s an accident waiting to happen as it is, it’s an example of a player with confidence in his abilities. 
Yes, there have been times when his short passes have put us under pressure, but again, it’s the team’s tactic as instructed by the coaching staff.

I’m not suggesting in those occasions he shouldn’t/can’t use initiative, and blast clear but there’s time he has done that too. 

Fair point. Yes it's through instructions from coach, but my (admittedly old fashioned view) is a keeper is in goal because he's not good enough to play out. Bit tough in cheek there. What I really don't like is, when it's goal kick and centre half passes it along 6 yard line to keeper who plays it out??

And no it hasn't happened. Yet. But it will and when it does we will concede 

He’s 37 years old. Let’s be realistic, he will be beaten by the occasional effort that a younger, more athletic keeper would’ve saved.  What he adds to the team in experience, communication and command of his area more than makes up for this.  Winter is coming, and this season we have a squad with the right kind of personalities for the long slog during the cold weather.

Edited by owl71
  • Like 1

His belly in the shirt release threw a lot of drama queens into meltdown and from then on he was deemed to be shit, any error will be jumped upon.

Then come the calls for Dawson to be instilled by the same folk, this bloke has been utter dogturd for us but for some odd reason he's become Iker Casillas since his stint in Devon

2 hours ago, Ozzie said:

His belly in the shirt release threw a lot of drama queens into meltdown and from then on he was deemed to be shit, any error will be jumped upon.

Then come the calls for Dawson to be instilled by the same folk, this bloke has been utter dogturd for us but for some odd reason he's become Iker Casillas since his stint in Devon

Never saw the shirt release, but he looked fat as fuck that first game and was shit.

Dawson kept 18 clean sheets for Exeter and finished 2nd in their player of the season vote, he was very, very good for them and he earned the right to be a starter for a League 1 team. That didn't have to be us, but I can't imagine his stock will ever be higher than it was at the end of last season/start of this one. We should have either played him or sold him.

The thing with Dawson is that we needed a number 2, and after Wildsmith left it left us in a position of needing 2 keepers. 
I don’t mind Dawson as number 2, but he won’t be allowed to make it here, because despite like most players to that vociferous minority as already alluded to their stock rises x100 when they’re not here (or out of the team). It happens across football now it seems instant success or form is the only way. So if he was given a chance and made a mistake, the people berating him will be just rubbing their hands together even though they’d said he needed to be back in. 
We’ve seen it happen so many times. 

Dawson may have to leave for the sake of his career (like Wildsmith) because despite there being a goalkeeper in there, he’s too far gone for some, meaning that he’ll never be good enough.

I don’t think that’s the case for clarity…. But

There’s too many fans across football in general (imo) that are too quick to judge, without giving people a proper chance.

I agree H, which is why I said about him earning the right to start for a L1 team rather than start for us. 

He must be wondering what the point of us sending him out on loan was (I know I am). Surely the idea was he'd go and do well then either come back as first choice or we'd sell him. Probably could have loaned him back, Exeter were keen to keep him.

On 13/10/2022 at 21:22, Otto_Man said:

Dawson kept 18 clean sheets for Exeter and finished 2nd in their player of the season vote, he was very, very good for them and he earned the right to be a starter for a League 1 team. That didn't have to be us, but I can't imagine his stock will ever be higher than it was at the end of last season/start of this one. We should have either played him or sold him.

We did try to sell him, almost give him away, but despite his record with Exeter nobody wanted him. Not even Exeter who signed Jamal Blackman instead and on more money. 

Read what you want into that but there's always been rumours he comes with a lot of baggage.