So… the ref made a balls up last weekend…

HoylandOwl

3 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That's bollards, that is. I'm not bothered about the ref.  The player should simply get a one match ban. Nothing so simple now that the ref's said what he's said. 

We got away with the same thing a few year back didn't we

17 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Unfortunately the FA don't step in with bookings do they

Not if you mean a yellow should have been a red for for the same one foul, like they can if it's been missed completely, but surely they can correct a case of mistaken identity. They can and do so if it's realised as such during the game.  

Grimmer can’t be given a ban as that would be unreasonable on him. It’s not his fault that the ref was crap.

The first incident is what has caused the problem: two quick fire fouls both, in most people’s opinion, merited a yellow card. So justice appeared to be done when the ref flashed a yellow at Grimmer, and then at Mawson too. But there was a bit of a delay between the two: words said to some players, but we don’t know what. I’m guessing, with the benefit of hindsight, that he told the players that he’d just booked the wrong player when actually he’d booked the right player (assuming that he didn’t think the first foul was bootable). 

Did Grimmer think he’d been booked or not? There was no VAR like cancelling signal from the ref, but the message somehow got to the scoreboard operate as the yellow next his name disappeared.

So Grimmer commits another bad foul and get booked. Would he have committed that foul if he knew that it could mean a sending off? Possibly, but possibly not, and he can’t be banned for something that might not have happened had the ref done his job properly.

Seem to remember than when it happened to us that the yellow card was re-assigned to Helan and he was given a one match ban. The game was in the F.A.Cup that Man City weren’t going to let him play in anyway.

So, we did ‘get away with it’ but through odd circumstances.

1 minute ago, cheat said:

Seem to remember than when it happened to us that the yellow card was re-assigned to Helan and he was given a one match ban. The game was in the F.A.Cup that Man City weren’t going to let him play in anyway.

So, we did ‘get away with it’ but through odd circumstances.

You remember incorrectly 

5 minutes ago, Reesh said:

You remember incorrectly 

You sure?

I thought I remembered us all discussing it on here.

Also pretty sure that mistaken identity is the only way a yellow can be rescinded and that it also worked the other way round.

Edited by cheat

Just now, cheat said:

You sure?

I thought I remembered us all discussing it on here.

Also pretty sure that mistaken identity is the only way a yellow can be rescinded and that it also worked the other way round.

Helan had joined us permanently by the time it all occurred and the game was in November 14, we played City in the January after and Helan played.

3 minutes ago, cheat said:

Just looked, it was a game at the end of December, so my F.A. Cup memory does fit.

Aye I read it as he wasn't allowed to play against City in the cup. I realised my error when I remembered Antonio got the other yellow

2 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Grimmer can’t be given a ban as that would be unreasonable on him. It’s not his fault that the ref was crap.

The first incident is what has caused the problem: two quick fire fouls both, in most people’s opinion, merited a yellow card. So justice appeared to be done when the ref flashed a yellow at Grimmer, and then at Mawson too. But there was a bit of a delay between the two: words said to some players, but we don’t know what. I’m guessing, with the benefit of hindsight, that he told the players that he’d just booked the wrong player when actually he’d booked the right player (assuming that he didn’t think the first foul was bootable). 

Did Grimmer think he’d been booked or not? There was no VAR like cancelling signal from the ref, but the message somehow got to the scoreboard operate as the yellow next his name disappeared.

So Grimmer commits another bad foul and get booked. Would he have committed that foul if he knew that it could mean a sending off? Possibly, but possibly not, and he can’t be banned for something that might not have happened had the ref done his job properly.

I don't agree, pal.  Whilst of course football isn't real life, that's like saying that if the police / DPP arrest and charge the wrong person, once that becomes obvious they aren't allowed to charge the actual perpetrator 'cos it's not fair on him! And that it's not his fault they screwed up.

Did the ref get anything significant wrong? I can’t remember any contentious decisions.

There was Wilks being a prat, for which he could have been booked, and their number 3 could’ve had a second yellow (their manager seemed to agree as he was subbed minutes later). Nothing much there for either set of fans to get agitated about.

Thinking about it now, there were two incidents that I missed:

Paterson’s booking. What went off there? With their player on the floor, I did think Pato was going to be sent off for a mo.

A kerfuffle at the opposite end late on. Cross from a free kick over hit and ball goes out for goal kick. Then it kicks off. What did I miss?

13 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Did the ref get anything significant wrong? I can’t remember any contentious decisions.

There was Wilks being a prat, for which he could have been booked, and their number 3 could’ve had a second yellow (their manager seemed to agree as he was subbed minutes later). Nothing much there for either set of fans to get agitated about.

Thinking about it now, there were two incidents that I missed:

Paterson’s booking. What went off there? With their player on the floor, I did think Pato was going to be sent off for a mo.

A kerfuffle at the opposite end late on. Cross from a free kick over hit and ball goes out for goal kick. Then it kicks off. What did I miss?

Re Pato’s booking, they got tangled together and there was no foul at all. Unless you call ‘simulation’ an offence.