Awayer refs at Hillsborough

Just done a quick tot up of our 21 league games at home this season.

Overall we have had 38 more free kicks given against us than for us. That is despite having the majority of possession in 15 of those games.

Make if it what you will but just thought it was an interesting stat.

41 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Stats like that suggest we're a dirty side. Do you have any figs on the number of yellow cards home v away Chelters?

I can let you know, but it won't be until tomorrow, if you can wait that long 😀

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Stats like that suggest we're a dirty side. Do you have any figs on the number of yellow cards home v away Chelters?

We have had 32 Yellow cards at home and 38 away in the League

Edited by star

2 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Sorry, let me rephrase that, how many yellow cards have been awarded against us at Hillsborough, versus how many have been awarded against the opposition (any opposition) at Hillsborough

The same 32 each

Edited by star
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, star said:

The same

So either; we're really clever and our players give away fouls to the point of them being persistent (but not persistent enough for them to be cautioned); or it's clear evidence the refs are biased; or the refs are shit.

I know what my money's on...

Well the ref yesterday was defiently shit, apart from letting them get away with all the timewasting especially the amount of times their number 22 went to pick up the ball for a throw in, only then pass it to their number 3, but how did he only get 4 minutes injury time, their goalkeeper was down for an age, as well as the six subs that were made in the second half

I think there is a bias, but not necessarily a conscious one. I think refs are so keen to show they are not being influenced by the ‘big’ team and players that they end up going too far the other way.

Also, we get sucked into the time wasting tactics of many of our opponents and maybe rush to get the ball back when we’ve lost it, allowing them the chance to fall over at the slightest touch.

Amazing how the linesman overruled the ref on a foul in the first half (for them obviously) but didn't dare overrule him for the "penalty" when he must have clearly seen the foul - although he did manage to raise his flag to give Hunt (?) offside

I bet the ref said to him at half time "don't ever f*cking do that to me again"

the 4 minutes added was totally ridiculous - it should have been at least 8 and probably more - and then i was thouroughly expecting him to play at least another 8 after we scored - thank f*ck it was only 4

Interesting stat Chelters. I'm not sure we can draw many conclusions but as you say it leaves an eye brow raised at least.

It's almost like the referees performance when we played Villa a couples of seasons back but across a season, it just seems improbable that the amount of fouls given is proportionate to the amount of possession the opposition have had.

i definitely don't see us as a dirty team, at times I wish we would put a foot in more. Hutch has had his moments and so has Pato but generally speaking both are pretty restrained compared to some opponents we've seen.

However, my usual default with these kinds of things is that it's more a case of ineptitude than conspiracy. The refs in this division have been on the whole poor but poor for both sides. I wonder if there is the reverse mentality going on with some refs, i.e. I can't be showing bias for the home team with the big home support....

Lets hope if we do get in the playoffs we get decent refs. The bloke that reffed the Brighton playoff would do nicely.

The one that makes my piss boil is when opposition players fall over in the own half when a Wednesday player is following in behind them. The officials fall for it every time. I wonder how many of the fouls are that situation. That's the kind of thing the coaches should be spotting and coming up with ideas to counteract 

6 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Interesting stat Chelters. I'm not sure we can draw many conclusions but as you say it leaves an eye brow raised at least.

It's almost like the referees performance when we played Villa a couples of seasons back but across a season, it just seems improbable that the amount of fouls given is proportionate to the amount of possession the opposition have had.

i definitely don't see us as a dirty team, at times I wish we would put a foot in more. Hutch has had his moments and so has Pato but generally speaking both are pretty restrained compared to some opponents we've seen.

However, my usual default with these kinds of things is that it's more a case of ineptitude than conspiracy. The refs in this division have been on the whole poor but poor for both sides. I wonder if there is the reverse mentality going on with some refs, i.e. I can't be showing bias for the home team with the big home support....

Lets hope if we do get in the playoffs we get decent refs. The bloke that reffed the Brighton playoff would do nicely.

We aren't going to get a Premier League for a League One Play off semi final game. 

Also lest we forget it was Andre Marriner who remains a **** 

43 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

The one that makes my piss boil is when opposition players fall over in the own half when a Wednesday player is following in behind them. The officials fall for it every time. I wonder how many of the fouls are that situation. That's the kind of thing the coaches should be spotting and coming up with ideas to counteract 

I was going to mention something to try to understand what’s happening. I don’t believe ref are biased, only incompetent in equal measure against each team.

We come up against a lot of opponents, especially at home, that are happy to kill time, so they fall over at the merest of touches. A light push in the back, a little tap on the ankle, and over he goes. Niggling fouls that are annoying when given against you and are not worthy of a booking, even when totted up. How often, when our player is pressuring the defender in possession, do we shout from the stands “don’t foul him, don’t foul”: nudge, whistle, free kick? 30 seconds off the clock, ten yards gained, and possession with the opposition.

On the other hand, we are eager to get on with the game. We want to get the ball moving forward through open play rather than a punt from a free kick towards a well organised defence, so our players stand up to these niggling fouls and get on with it.

End result is that we get fouled as much, maybe more, but get less free kicks. 

Of course that doesn’t explain why Gregory gets so few free kicks, but it’s nothing new for Wednesday and nothing specific to L1. Nuhiu for one was often penalised when it was him getting fouled.

23 minutes ago, MPB said:

In a strange and almost perverse way, despite refs in this league being a lot worse now than I remember from the last time we were down here.....I'd take their level of complete fuckwittery and bad decisions over VAR any day of the week....there's something real about getting out of your seat and avin a good old rant.....rather than knowing that whatever has just happened is going to be subject to a video review....it kills the spontaneity that we all love about the game....and makes it even more sterile....

Agree with this.

8 hours ago, MPB said:

In a strange and almost perverse way, despite refs in this league being a lot worse now than I remember from the last time we were down here.....I'd take their level of complete fuckwittery and bad decisions over VAR any day of the week....there's something real about getting out of your seat and avin a good old rant.....rather than knowing that whatever has just happened is going to be subject to a video review....it kills the spontaneity that we all love about the game....and makes it even more sterile....

It’s a fair point MPB.

Var has become a farce, unhelpful and turned football officiating into a forensic science almost. 

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

I wish we had VAR to moan about 

They’d be Riots at Hillsboro when we use VAR. Dreading it ( or hopefully by time we get to use it lots being ironed out) 

Edited by Wawaw