Murky world of Spanish football

Reesh

I found it utterly astonishing that Barça announced a profit despite deferring wages and making players take wage cuts and not even paying the full fees on player transfers, and yet 3 years ago paying Messi 220 million over 3 years.

You can see why the Spanish clubs were desperate for the ESL, given the perceived gap (and I say perceived, Real won the CL last season) between them and the PL and even the DfBL. All of a sudden, they can’t sign the best players on the planet… and the owners at Real and Barça can’t cope with that.

I always hark back to the TV deal that they signed, as much as we dislike the PL, they know how to look after it’s members and more critically make money. The Spanish FA could swimming in a pool of 50 euro notes and still come out making a loss.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I found it utterly astonishing that Barça announced a profit despite deferring wages and making players take wage cuts and not even paying the full fees on player transfers, and yet 3 years ago paying Messi 220 million over 3 years.

You can see why the Spanish clubs were desperate for the ESL, given the perceived gap (and I say perceived, Real won the CL last season) between them and the PL and even the DfBL. All of a sudden, they can’t sign the best players on the planet… and the owners at Real and Barça can’t cope with that.

I always hark back to the TV deal that they signed, as much as we dislike the PL, they know how to look after it’s members and more critically make money. The Spanish FA could swimming in a pool of 50 euro notes and still come out making a loss.

I felt the same way KM. Apparently, from near bankruptcy, they make over 85 million profit. Dodgy accounting? 

It’s ridiculous, but, it’s not like we’ve not seen clubs overspend here. Albeit not on that level yet in terms of debt. But interesting to see what Man Ure would do if the Glazers decided they want their money back?

Saying that they won’t as they’re happily taking their dividends out of the club every year!