Whelan talks about Wednesday departure

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/glenn-whelan-on-sheffield-wednesday-24325423

“I loved my time at Wednesday. I spoke to the manager at the time and there was a little bit of interest but he was like 'We want to keep you'," began Whelan. "I was more than happy to do that. I finished training, this is on the last day of the window, went home and then got a phone call about 5pm saying that the club had agreed a fee.

"I spoke to Brian Laws again and he basically said the club had agreed the sale behind his back a little bit. Once that happened I was questioning what to do. Did I go and speak or do I dig my heels in. I think at the time Stoke were second in the Championship. Wednesday were about mid-table.

“The year before I left Wednesday that season we finished a few points outside the play-offs. It was all about kicking on for the next season but then of course we sold Chris Brunt, one of our key players, to West Brom.

"I was thinking do I sit in and stay or go for chance to get to the Premier League with Stoke. It was all last-minute and a bit up-in-the-air but it turned out to be the right move for me in the end."

I was gutted when he left. I Watched the Peter Crouch podcast the other night and he said that Whelan was one of three players he thought was key to Stoke doing so well in the Prem for all those years. Wish It could have been with us, rather than tin pot Stoke.

By far my favourite player of that era. When 1st came in bit of a loose cannon, which made me like him even more. 

Think it was Oldham away when he scored quite near end to equalise and you could see he was really hyped up, shortly after restart sent off. Brilliant 4us

1 hour ago, Mark said:

By far my favourite player of that era. When 1st came in bit of a loose cannon, which made me like him even more. 

Think it was Oldham away when he scored quite near end to equalise and you could see he was really hyped up, shortly after restart sent off. Brilliant 4us

He more or less got us the point at home to Southampton when Crossley scored from a header from a corner at the Kop end, that day he was head & shoulders above everyone on the pitch, he was a delight to watch. Was gutted when he left, same with Brunt - both wonderful players.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

The goal at Cardiff was my favourite of them all. As soon as that went in I knew it was our day.

He was almost the ideal all round midfielder 

Yes I think he was. Good in the tackle, a ball player, nasty streak, not bad in the air either 

7 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

He more or less got us the point at home to Southampton when Crossley scored from a header from a corner at the Kop end, that day he was head & shoulders above everyone on the pitch, he was a delight to watch. Was gutted when he left, same with Brunt - both wonderful players.

Didn't Brunt score an absolute belter that day?

It was that good, the booing was in a hushed tone for 5 minutes afterwards. 

Edited by Skamp