Good luck Liam Palmer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, Liam has matched Hirsty for appearances now. 
Peter Shirtliff next, and he’s into the top 20 in terms of all time appearance holders
Some feat, and while he’s still not everyone’s cup of tea. In recent weeks he’s arguably IMO at the best level we’ve seen. Consistent, reliable and probably the fittest I think we’ve seen too. 

He looks amazingly fit this season, hopefully banishing the previous complaints about him not getting back after raiding forward, presumably helped by his top charity efforts pre-season.  Was very good at Plymouth, scoring and only stopped from notching a second by Cooper's amazing reactions.  He really was amazing going forward in the first half on Saturday: one of our best attacking weapons, despite playing in a 4-4-2.  He should be good at this level, having spent most of his career a division higher, but credit where it's due.  Most defenders don't noticeably improve this much towards the end of their careers.  If he can stay this fit it'll be interesting how many more seasons he can hold down his place for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

He looks amazingly fit this season, hopefully banishing the previous complaints about him not getting back after raiding forward, presumably helped by his top charity efforts pre-season.  Was very good at Plymouth, scoring and only stopped from notching a second by Cooper's amazing reactions.  He really was amazing going forward in the first half on Saturday: one of our best attacking weapons, despite playing in a 4-4-2.  He should be good at this level, having spent most of his career a division higher, but credit where it's due.  Most defenders don't noticeably improve this much towards the end of their careers.  If he can stay this fit it'll be interesting how many more seasons he can hold down his place for.

I’ve never had an issue with him as a defender. I can’t think of many wide midfielders or wingers getting the better of him even a division above. He’s got decent pace, he’s strong, he’s decent on the cover. His weakness has always been his final ball. But, he’s added good movement this season, because, as you have said, he’s a fit lad, he constantly getting up the pitch. He’s pretty relentless in that regards. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’ve never had an issue with him as a defender. I can’t think of many wide midfielders or wingers getting the better of him even a division above

Really?

We used to concede sp many goals from his side due to his inability to close down his man, put a challenge in or simply because the lazy **** ambled back, that it became a running joke (no pun intended)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owl71 said:

Palmer’s fine in League One.  There’s a debate to be had when/if we get back to the Championship about whether he gets one more chance in that league, or we just upgrade immediately.  I suspect the latter is the smart move.

I'll worry about that when it's happened.  Probably the same as him. 

Edited by Owling_Wolf

12 hours ago, owl71 said:

Palmer’s fine in League One.  There’s a debate to be had when/if we get back to the Championship about whether he gets one more chance in that league, or we just upgrade immediately.  I suspect the latter is the smart move.

I would argue it would be interesting to see if his form of this season so far could be maintained up there..... SO let's get there.

10 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I always have a slight tinge of regret opening this thread and realising yet again it's not an Adieu to  the Worksop Cafu 

It's like the day we extended Giles Coke's contract.:classic_unsure:

Not been a fan of Palmer, the he's one of us grates on me a bit. He's still a bit shit no matter who he supports. But I will give him credit, he's played well this season. Shame about the many others he's struggled with.

• Haha 1