Maradona's shirt sold for HOW MUCH???

Apparently, it's not even the official shirt released for the tournament, the kit man had to buy shirts from a local Mexican sports shop and the "AFA" badges were sewn on after.....that's what makes it so unique, that shirt was a complete one off....

Edited by MPB

41 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Apologies if someone else posted this the other week, but I hadn't seen it! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61321555

Diego Maradona: Argentina legend's 'Hand of God' shirt sells for £7.1m at auction, the highest price for a piece of sports memorabilia!

Steve Hodge sold it didn't he?

Turned down £20k a few years ago.

Probably went to one of the students that buys Venezia shirts..

...paid by cheque like at the chippy, obz

Edited by Andyben

Steve Hodge had previously said he would not sell it but £7m is sure a lot for a bit of fabric.

Watched both Maradona's goals back again in the week and both still make me angry.  The one where 6' 1" Peter Shilton fails to outjump vertically challenged Maradona and the second where the entire England midfield and defence turn into Joey Pulupessey and Guy Branston.  Truly awful goalkeeping and defending.  If Bryan Robson was in the team the second goal does not get scored.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

38 minutes ago, MPB said:

Apparently, it's not even the official shirt released for the tournament, the kit man had to buy shirts from a local Mexican sports shop and the "AFA" badges were sewn on after.....that's what makes it so unique, that shirt was a complete one off....

I've no doubt that blue shirt is a one off but the story behind it seems a bit iffy. I have my doubts about a sports shop in Mexico City just happening to have 38 dark blue Le Coq Sportif shirts, of the correct sizes, in its stock room. There was only Argentina and Uruguay wearing Le Coq and everyone else, apart from us, Denmark, and Brasil, were Adidas, including Mexico. Chivas were wearing Le Coq but red and white stripes or a white away shirt. Blue was Cruz and they were Umbro. 

More likely that the Argentinians complained that the original shirts were too hot and Le Coq rushed some shirts out without badging them up. There's also badge placing differences between the group stage home shirt and the one worn in the final. 

11 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

The Tottenham kit issue with the sponsorship in the FA Cup Final is a good one.

Which cup final?

They wore white Holsten sponsored shirts in 84 UEFA Cup final. That had a shadow stripe effect like our yellow away shirt of the same season

That's crazy money but I can understand with how the world is going. My dad was friends with Paul Shritliff(RIP) and his brother Peter. This is a match worn shirt I have and sometimes wear from Peter. I must admit that I'm not sure of the year or game but my dad gave it to me. 

20220527_231423.jpg

20220527_231401.jpg

Edited by tomcore
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Which cup final?

They wore white Holsten sponsored shirts in 84 UEFA Cup final. That had a shadow stripe effect like our yellow away shirt of the same season

1991? They played with half the team withour sponsors

16 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Which cup final?

https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/460843/tottenham-classic-holsten-kit-fa-cup-final/

1987 Final

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

1 hour ago, MPB said:

You could be right about the badging actually.....it was a while ago when I heard the story....

It would be like Davor Sukar rocking up at Johnny Quinn's, before the Denmark game, and asking if he'd got 30 odd blue Lotto shirts in the back. 

But knowing Johnny they'd have been playing in rebadged Prostar shirts. 

21 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Is it right that Steve  Hodge should profit from this? Might sit better with me if he made some sort of contribution to a football charity for kids in Argentina or something

Why? Maradona gave him his shirt. What he does with it is up to him. And if he can sell it for that amount at auction, good luck to him!

• Like 2

On 27/05/2022 at 15:25, tomcore said:

That's crazy money but I can understand with how the world is going. My dad was friends with Paul Shritliff(RIP) and his brother Peter. This is a match worn shirt I have and sometimes wear from Peter. I must admit that I'm not sure of the year or game but my dad gave it to me. 

20220527_231423.jpg

20220527_231401.jpg

A thing of beauty is that.