Sir Roland talks about us....

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/roland-nilsson-on-owls-spell-23546304

Former Sheffield Wednesday defender Roland Nilsson has reflected on the Owls 1991 Football League Cup final success over Manchester United, describing the occasion as a 'special moment'. Nilsson, now 58, joined Wednesday from Swedish side IFK Goteborg back in 1989 and went on to make 111 appearances for the club, spanning across five happy years here in South Yorkshire.

Signed by then manager Ron Atkinson, the former Sweden international was also part of the Owls side that reached the 1993 FA Cup Final against Arsenal, unfortunately losing the replay following a 1-1 draw in the first clash just weeks prior.

However, the former Coventry man looks back with fond memories during the teams success two years prior, as John Sheridan first-half goal proved to be the only difference, with Nilsson himself admitting the victory was one of the highlights during his spell here in England.

''We had so many good memories in that respect, but when you play at Wembley and you win there by beating Manchester United as well, then it will always be a special moment'', the former Owls man began, speaking on the latest episode of the Our Man in Stockholm podcast. 

''When you go out at Wembley and it is divided in one half blue and white and one half red and black it was a very special moment. To win it was great but I also think playing in the Premiership and so on and doing well in the Premiership was great time as well."

Then Wednesday boss Atkinson was a popular figure during his spell at Hillsborough, as Nilsson recalls his obsession with the finer details of the beautiful game...

"I would rate him as a tactician, he began. "He wasn't top of the line[as a coach], but as a man manager so to speak he could pick out players that would make a difference in matches.

"He was absolute fantastic at knowing the opponent we were going to play and he was always telling us if you do that way or if you do it this way we will have success. I would say that he wasn't wrong many times."

Kinda on the lines of best fullbacks, I can't remember if I saw Roland play live. I've seen all the videos etc. I do have a vivid memory of... Dan Petrescu being pretty useful and, again this may be completely wrong, but didn't his work permit expire or something? My memory is of us giving a real ovation and him crying on the pitch.

10 minutes ago, tomcore said:

Kinda on the lines of best fullbacks, I can't remember if I saw Roland play live. I've seen all the videos etc. I do have a vivid memory of... Dan Petrescu being pretty useful and, again this may be completely wrong, but didn't his work permit expire or something? My memory is of us giving a real ovation and him crying on the pitch.

Nowt further from the truth!

He basically wanted out and forced a move to Chelsea.

1 minute ago, tomcore said:

Aye could be, but thought it was earlier than that. I'm sure there was a player in tears on the pitch. The years seem to blend 

Roly wasn't happy when he left, think he had a few tears.

Not as many as me when he was replaced by Peter fucking Atherton

• Haha 1