Atmosphere

As stated by a few posts lately the atmosphere at Hillsborough has (understandably) suffered this season and we constantly get outsung by some piss poor away support

Talking to a mate on Friday and we both agreed the following 

Shut down the back 10/15 rows of the North

Shut down the top half of the kop

Restrict away fans to top of the West

Preferably close the the Grandstand and relocate the family zone

All the above to be reviewed depending upon demand

Would condense the crowd, improve the atmosphere and look better when on TV

Thoughts lads and lasses?

16 minutes ago, Malcolm Darling said:

As stated by a few posts lately the atmosphere at Hillsborough has (understandably) suffered this season and we constantly get outsung by some piss poor away support

Probably but impossible to do halfway through the season. Would mean friends & families being split up. 

I don't think the safety advise people would like putting all visiting fans in top tier, it is restricted to around 2,500 now even though it has close to 4,000 seats. 

Closing Grandstand wouldn't go down well as its very popular with families. 

I suspect those that like to sit at back of North stand and kop would not be pleased being asked to move a few rows forward either, some have probably had same seat for decades, especially on North. 

All these daft o'clock kick off times aren't helping with atmosphere, quiet a few fans struggle to get to evening games because of work, we've only got one 3pm start game at home on a Saturday before we play Stoke on 13th April. (Bristol City fortnight today). 

I'm sure Leeds game will be a good atmos, especially if we can pick up a few points over next few games. 

I get packing the fans in closer to the pitch and keeping them together would help. I suppose there’s an argument by the aforementioned bloody SAG might like us closing some of the North to help with ‘entrance and egress’ from that stand too.

But for me, the issues of the atmosphere being average at home games just comes back to what we see on the pitch. This season when DR came in, and we got that heart back, that fight, and a general upturn in performance, the atmosphere improved. It’s been average recently because of results IMO. There’s been a nervousness, on and off the pitch and it showed on Friday how things flip as once the second went in, things got louder. 

Away games always have that ‘us against the world’ attitude and that’s no matter what club it is. And I don’t think that will change just due to being mainly outnumbered in the stadium. 

Just now, mkowl said:

The biggest myth though is the atmosphere was always better in the past 

I agree. During my time watching Wednesday there have been odd occasions where the atmosphere has been incredible (Kaiserslautern, Chelsea semi, Wycombe, Peterborough, Brighton and such) but on the whole, we are a set of fans that is largely motivated to sing or cheer at home by the actions of those on the pitch. I don’t believe the atmosphere has changed much throughout my 40 years watching. 

13 hours ago, Malcolm Darling said:

Shut the fuck up

1 hour ago, Supercockle said:

I agree. During my time watching Wednesday there have been odd occasions where the atmosphere has been incredible (Kaiserslautern, Chelsea semi, Wycombe, Peterborough, Brighton and such) but on the whole, we are a set of fans that is largely motivated to sing or cheer at home by the actions of those on the pitch. I don’t believe the atmosphere has changed much throughout my 40 years watching. 

Was about to post the same. Think you could say the same about most home atmospheres though unless its a big game. When I used to go away every week can't recall many home atmospheres that were amazing 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2024 at 20:18, Malcolm Darling said:

Hi all

Been reading the forums over the last few days and am really pleased to have finally signed up and join you fellow Owls

Have been a member on OT for a while but have become really pissed off with the general ideology of the majority on that site

Been a season ticket holder for more years than I can remember  and generally bleed blue and white

Great to join you

On 30/01/2024 at 20:40, mkowl said:

Welcome

The key task is to get the poster called Reesh to call you a **** within 3 posts.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Shut the fuck up

Close but no cigar.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Supercockle said:

Probably true and its not down to number of people attending, there's been games where there's been over 30,000 (Wolves when we drew 0-0 under Carlos on New years day springs to mind) and atmosphere has been flat but there's been games when there's been well under 20,000 and it's been great, in old 3rd division days in 1970s it was good on occasions with only 12,000 attending and that was without a roof on kop. A guy sat in center of North stand use to start chants off in them days. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OwlinMad said:

Thought this thread was about joy division (the lyrics would be appropriate for us too)

bitterly disappointed to find out it’s not, therefore the thread author is a ****

It will come as no surprise to many that I like the Joy Division version, cheers me up 

• Like 1