Wat-we going to fucking do...... can we sting the Hornets

It’s crying out for a striker and a defensive midfield player, a striker is the difference between staying up and going down.

We were the better side, created great opportunities and just don’t have a nine that offers that kind of movement to score a goal or open space for someone else. Case in point, Michael Smith. What did he offer when he came on?

The defensive midfield player is critical to Bannan. Bannan’s range tonight was brilliant and made better by the fact that we have runners from wide and from full back who want to get behind people.

This next 24 hours is literally going to determine the division we are in next season. We need someone to come in and 10 goals from 17 games, because we have the other pieces from an attacking sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

It’s crying out for a striker and a defensive midfield player, a striker is the difference between staying up and going down.

We were the better side, created great opportunities and just don’t have a nine that offers that kind of movement to score a goal or open space for someone else. Case in point, Michael Smith. What did he offer when he came on?

The defensive midfield player is critical to Bannan. Bannan’s range tonight was brilliant and made better by the fact that we have runners from wide and from full back who want to get behind people.

This next 24 hours is literally going to determine the division we are in next season. We need someone to come in and 10 goals from 17 games, because we have the other pieces from an attacking sense.

Can't really argue with that assessment. 

We are at least competitive in games so it comes down to the players that can make a difference. 

The unlucky bit was the Musaba effort at the end, credit their keeper. Ugbo in the first as well, as much the follow up effort 

It still worries me the opposition can create a bit too easily against us. 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Can't really argue with that assessment. 

We are at least competitive in games so it comes down to the players that can make a difference. 

The unlucky bit was the Musaba effort at the end, credit their keeper. Ugbo in the first as well, as much the follow up effort 

It still worries me the opposition can create a bit too easily against us. 

That’s the defensive midfield piece. He’s got Palmer in there for his mobility. He’s playing Bannan there because of his mobility and ability with the ball. Vaulks, no issues with him, he’s been good because he is good defensively and again has mobility and athleticism. Diaby and Byers don’t have that ability to get around the pitch. We need an upgrade on Palmer who has that mobility but is better with the ball. That will then free Bannan up, and tighten us defensively. We want Bannan doing the stuff he did tonight without having to make 50 yard defensive runs and last ditch tackles.

I would still play 4 3 3

Defensive midfielder

Bannan      Other

Gassama New Striker Musaba

The other could be in house eg Diaby, Vaulks etc

I presume Windass was injured at HT, but we struggle to fit him in the side for me 

To me we haven't cracked the shape of the side 

I enjoyed last night, as others have said we should have taken all three and would have but for two good stops by Ben ******* Hamer. One from Bannan first half, and that from Musaba which would have been goal of the season had it gone in. 

The referee. Awful. Unpredictable, constantly keeping the game on a knife edge, didn’t keep up with play on numerous occasions. And that non booking was abysmal. I don’t care who, what, where they’re from is the ref, just be good enough to do the job and Rebecca Welsh is not. 

Coming away it felt like a loss which says it all really. Watford have been in great form away from home so it’s not a bad point considering they’re hovering just outside the top six. They’re snidey, that Matheus who was subbed was a horrible twat, but a dangerous outlet. The diagonal ball into our left channel, almost caught us out a few times with him but, his diving and play acting was awful too. 

Saturday now is absolutely huge, must win? Absolutely. 

Just now, HoylandOwl said:

I enjoyed last night, as others have said we should have taken all three and would have but for two good stops by Ben ******* Hamer. One from Bannan first half, and that from Musaba which would have been goal of the season had it gone in. 

The referee. Awful. Unpredictable, constantly keeping the game on a knife edge, didn’t keep up with play on numerous occasions. And that non booking was abysmal. I don’t care who, what, where they’re from is the ref, just be good enough to do the job and Rebecca Welsh is not. 

Coming away it felt like a loss which says it all really. Watford have been in great form away from home so it’s not a bad point considering they’re hovering just outside the top six. They’re snidey, that Matheus who was subbed was a horrible twat, but a dangerous outlet. The diagonal ball into our left channel, almost caught us out a few times with him but, his diving and play acting was awful too. 

Saturday now is absolutely huge, must win? Absolutely. 

The positives were that possession stats were in our favour which feels like a rare event these days.

Without that cutting edge though it is all a bit futile.

It does show outside the very top of the League this year it is all a bit of a muchness. Sides are competitive against each other, often cancel out each other. A bit of quality one way an error the other, the ref another.

Unfortunately we are just on the wrong side of those 3 determinants and thus why we will not win an adequate number of games. Today could address that but just 17 games left then to make a difference. Can we make up the 8 - 10 points gap

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Saturday is a must win not on mathematical grounds but in instilling belief in the players and perhaps as importantly the fans we can get out of it.

And sticking one up the opposition.  As much of a 'must win' as you can get. 

Couple of selections starting to concern me with DR. 

Obviously Palmer in the middle and also the omission of Ihieckwe again although to be fair thought Famewo was man of the match last night - unfortunately for Watford. 

Overall we are lacking the required Championship quality and character and ultimately will fall short. 

This team is crying out for players of the ilk of Loovens, Hutchinson and Wallace. 

39 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Couple of selections starting to concern me with DR. 

Obviously Palmer in the middle and also the omission of Ihieckwe again although to be fair thought Famewo was man of the match last night - unfortunately for Watford. 

Overall we are lacking the required Championship quality and character and ultimately will fall short. 

This team is crying out for players of the ilk of Loovens, Hutchinson and Wallace. 

I remarked to the mate who was loudly despairing of Famewo that him and Bernard are the best 'passers' in the middle of a four.  I like Ihiekwe but that's not his strongest suit.  

2 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I remarked to the mate who was loudly despairing of Famewo that him and Bernard are the best 'passers' in the middle of a four.  I like Ihiekwe but that's not his strongest suit.  

I like our current CB pairing a LOT. I don't think Ihiekwe did anything wrong to be dropped out though, but I agree with the above. 

I think that's the least bad I've seen that ref, last night.  That big c.b. should have walked for his gratuitous 'body check', (being kind: basically assault), whilst already on a yellow.  Mind you, I thought Baz was determined to turn yellow into red through mindless yapping, so we can be grateful for small mercies. And how Bernard got away with interfering with one of theirs who was getting away down the south side 2nd half I don't know. Even he looked surprised.

As for our crowd going berserk when the 'goal' was disallowed with Hamer sat with the ball behind him, a triumph of willpower over intelligence, I'm afraid. As soon as the finger pointed at the watch, job done.  I'd been up in the air too, but something somehow told me what was coming.

That moment will now define a crowd "trying to suck the ball into the net" for me.  Just a pity we didn't succeed!

23 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Last night there was a huge dependency on the centre backs carrying the ball out of defence and being comfortable dribbling up the pitch, that's not MI's game.

The only thing I think DR didn't quite get right last night was Smith for Windass at half time. Smith's not the guy for a pressing game (ironically Gregory probably is) and I thought he was pretty dreadful last night, the free header he couldn't even put on target was a massive miss for us. I actually thought he should have introduced Wilkes earlier as I thought we went up a gear when he came in.

Ref bottled 2 red cards, the one where I think Marv got booked (he was fouled by that prick that missed the open net and had already been booked) was right in front of us and was an absolutely dreadful decision. The centre half (16?) even worse.

1 minute ago, Otto_Man said:

Last night there was a huge dependency on the centre backs carrying the ball out of defence and being comfortable dribbling up the pitch, that's not MI's game.

The only thing I think DR didn't quite get right last night was Smith for Windass at half time. Smith's not the guy for a pressing game (ironically Gregory probably is) and I thought he was pretty dreadful last night, the free header he couldn't even put on target was a massive miss for us. I actually thought he should have introduced Wilkes earlier as I thought we went up a gear when he came in.

Ref bottled 2 red cards, the one where I think Marv got booked (he was fouled by that prick that missed the open net and had already been booked) was right in front of us and was an absolutely dreadful decision. The centre half (16?) even worse.

15 I think.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Wasn't Smith offside in any event 

• Like 1