Euro 2028

Just been reading about the proposed new N.I. stadium. Already been waiting a start since 2009.  And the existing small GAA ground currently on the site named after someone "hung by the English" after 1916.  Am sure that will all go smoothly now and won't be used to hold the Government(s) to ransome over local politics.  

23 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Casement Park named after Roger Casement.  Yeah that’s a bold move, possibly something to do with Sinn Fein now being the largest party in the NI assembly.  Hopefully the Reservoir Prods won’t try to blow the stadium up or anything.

Jusy wait for it to be full and make a phone call? 

What's this obsession with sharing the tournament? There's more than enough suitable grounds in Italy and England for both nations to host it alone.

Splitting it makes sense to a degree when countries don't have the infrastructure or if they're close by (like Poland and Ukraine), but Italy and Turkey aren't even near each other. Fuck me most of Turkey isn't even in Europe.

Don't get me started on the fucking hurling ground in Belfast, it's smaller than half the grounds in the championship.

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

What's this obsession with sharing the tournament? There's more than enough suitable grounds in Italy and England for both nations to host it alone.

Splitting it makes sense to a degree when countries don't have the infrastructure or if they're close by (like Poland and Ukraine), but Italy and Turkey aren't even near each other. Fuck me most of Turkey isn't even in Europe.

Don't get me started on the fucking hurling ground in Belfast, it's smaller than half the grounds in the championship.

I can see some sense as it gives the opportunity for some 3rd world developing nations such as Scotland, Wales and N Ireland a semblance of being relevant for a few days every so often 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mkowl said:

I can see some sense as it gives the opportunity for some 3rd world developing nations such as Scotland, Wales and N Ireland a semblance of being relevant for a few days every so often 

Just think, if Casement Park doesn't get built, NI can host their games in a nice empty stadium just off that new East - West railway line in the Midlands.  

31 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Just think, if Casement Park doesn't get built, NI can host their games in a nice empty stadium just off that new East - West railway line in the Midlands.  

Stadium MK 

The East West rail link is just up the road from me, so been watching that being built. Saying that the HS2 stuff looks quite impressive - not too far away either 

Holding it across several countries just doesn't make sense if those countries don't qualify. 

There's a good chance that Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic won't get to play on home soil. And is the local population going to fill the stadiums if Turkey don't qualify in 2032?

9 minutes ago, Skamp said:

It's political madness gone mad.

There's talk of adding the Republic to the GB athletics team now.

Just now, Tylluan said:

What they should do is put all the NI athletes in the Eire squad like they do in rugby, cricket, boxing, hockey, basketball, etc

There's a strong argument for a united Ireland right there.

United with the rest of His Majesty's territories in the British Isles, under the Imperial Union Flag

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Holding it across several countries just doesn't make sense if those countries don't qualify. 

There's a good chance that Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic won't get to play on home soil. And is the local population going to fill the stadiums if Turkey don't qualify in 2032?

They get automatic qualification 

The way these islands divide on sporting terms is idiosyncratic to put it mildly.

Olympic Games - Uk and the Irish Republic.  This is political and legal reality as recognised by the rest of the world for the last 100 years.  

Football - England, Scotland, Wales, NI, Ireland.  One independent state and four top level sub-divisions.  Other countries top level subdivisions do not get their own national teams.  Lombardy does not play Catalonia.  Texas does not play Sichuan.

Rugby - England, Scotland, Wales and  Ireland.  This reflects the political reality as it last was in 1284.

Commonwealth Games - England, Scotland, Wales, NI, IoM, Jersey, Guernsey.  Fuck knows.

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I saw something suggesting that all the home nations would enter qualifying, but that two spaces would be held back "just in case". Given 24 teams will play there, you'd have to be pretty wank not to manage to qualify...

Presume it'll be the same in 2032?!

Edited by Otto_Man

Just now, Otto_Man said:

I saw something suggesting that all the home nations would enter qualifying, but that two spaces would be held back "just in case". Presume it'll be the same in 2032, but given 24 teams will play there, you'd have to be pretty wank not to manage to qualify...

Yep. They're patently making it up as they go along. I saw that one and another. Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite all of us that want a football tournament to just produce a good football tournament.

3 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I saw something suggesting that all the home nations would enter qualifying, but that two spaces would be held back "just in case". Given 24 teams will play there, you'd have to be pretty wank not to manage to qualify...

If anyone is going to manage to miss out on a tournament that they’re partially hosting, Scotland will find a way.