Those big spending Tractor boys

HoylandOwl

Some head to head stuff.

This weekend is the 58th clash between the sides.

Wednesday have won 21 times v the Tractors

They've won 20 times

And there's been 16 draws.

Last time out at S6 v Ipswich.

The teams that day. 

Wednesday: Stockdale, Palmer, Iorfa (Mighten 71), Ihiekwe, James, Bannan, Windass, Byers, Dele Bashiru (Gregory 57), Johnson, Smith

Ipswich: Walton, Davis (Leigh 55), Edmundson,  Woolfenden, Donacien, Morsy, Evans, Chaplin (Harness 68), Burns, John-Jules (Ladapo 69), Jackson (Keogh 81)

Here's the match report from the OS....

Interesting to see Xisco talk about specifics when asked about formations / training earlier today. 

XM: "This week we have been working (in training) with a defence of four. You never know and it's important the team is able to play different formations. It depends on the players what you have. We were more solid but I think also we are solid with a 4-3-3. We will see (against Ipswich). It's about the opponents we play too."

46 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Interesting to see Xisco talk about specifics when asked about formations / training earlier today. 

XM: "This week we have been working (in training) with a defence of four. You never know and it's important the team is able to play different formations. It depends on the players what you have. We were more solid but I think also we are solid with a 4-3-3. We will see (against Ipswich). It's about the opponents we play too."

That's either us playing 3 at the back then or it's a double bluff and we're sticking with a 4. 

21 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I really enjoy Xisco’s press conferences. Fuckwittery from the press notwithstanding, if you watch them from start to finish you get a good feel about what he’s trying to do. He’s creating a style and system for the club, an identity. This is something he wants to run throughout the club. We’re looking to build for the future, not just for the season. I found some of the stuff about the under 21s and loans really interesting. 

• Like 1

There aren’t many people that get to me with their opinions. But this bloke from the above, does. 
He rants and raves and constantly slags us off, no matter what. 

He’s also been on Sky sports as an ‘championship expert’ type thing. Expert? Nah. He’s just an over-opinionated whopper.

Ipswich manager admits 'they've not beaten us yet'....

“We’ve played three times in the last 18 months and we haven’t managed to beat them yet, so that leaves us really clear about the scale of the challenge,” McKenna said on the period of time since he has been in the job at Portman Road.

“We know how powerful they can be, we know the strengths of their individual players, we know the impact that the crowd can have on things there, but we also know that we can go there and play good football and take control of it because we did that for a large part last year.”

18 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

A flat 4 with Palmer and Iorfa in the middle and Bernard and Ihiekwe only on the bench?

I was thinking more 3-4-3 with Palmer and Famewo either side of Iorfa 

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Looks like a 5-4-1/5-2-3 to me as per Leeds.

Paterson and Delgado as wing backs, Windass and Gregory wide and Smith down the middle.

He’s expecting Ipswich to dominate the ball hence the set-up.

With the ball well be 343, without it 523

It was shit from Paterson and Palmer. Paterson is stood in no man’s land, and Palmer gets caught in no man’s land when they get behind Paterson.

Dreadful display. Uncoached again. After two weeks on the training ground I was expecting to see a plan in possession. There isn’t one apart from the big diagonal onto Pato. When we have the ball we offer zero. Hendrick, Byers, Paterson, Smith and Palmer have been appalling.

What was it? One attempt at goal?

Ipswich were several levels above us, physically dominated us, out ran us, were better with and without the ball. A fair result would have been a 3 or 4 goal defeat. Vasquez was very good today.

In terms of us. Uncoached. It’s that simple, there was no plan with the ball, we employed the slowest press I have ever seen. We seem utterly incapable of getting the ball up the pitch without chipping it down the neck of the centre half. We have the goalkeeper passing it square to the centre half, who then chips it down the pitch for it to come straight back.

I’ve seen enough now. Munoz needs to be gone tonight. We look utterly clueless in possession after two weeks on the training ground. Munoz is making Monk and Jos look like Pep and Sir Alex.

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

A flat 4 with Palmer and Iorfa in the middle and Bernard and Ihiekwe only on the bench?

I was thinking more 3-4-3 with Palmer and Famewo either side of Iorfa 

It looked like 3-4-3.  Isn’t that supposed to open up passing lanes and make it easier to play through the thirds?  Either that’s bollocks, or we executed it astonishingly badly.